Previous Article Uh Oh, rootkit code to exploit major Intel chip flaw to be posted 3/

OH, this is going to get interesting. I think I'll hold off on that Intel quad core and look again at AMD.

I was going to say, ironic that the 30 second ad that appeared before the article was for the AMD Opteron Quad!

The scary thing is, this would be totally OS-agnostic. Any Intel-based system could be owned via a Java- or Flash-based exploit. Now I'm sorry that I sent Apple my DEC Alpha box when I got my Mac Pro...

Hmmm. The world's still here.
Is it? Are you sure? How do you know for certain that we haven't all been replaced by Turing machines? :D

I read the paper published by The Invivsible Things. I can see what they're trying to say, and it is possible that this will cause a number of board manufacturers to release Firmware patches for their BIOS to eliminate the design flaw. The thing is, in order to exploit this, it would have to piggyback on another exploit that causes elevation to Kernel or Hypervisor in order to modify the system table that controls whether SSM memory is marked to be Cached (normally, it's not). The average user process can't touch this System table.

Last edited:
Is your PC currently p0wned by some hacker ninja using a SMM rootkit? How would you tell? You can't tell!!!!! MUWHAHA!

Riiiiiight.

You guys know blogs lie right?

EDIT: THis was supposed to have been posted 3/19. I don't see it posted...