Quad processor.

cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
Just curious,but if a computer game say requires minimum of intel pentium 2.8ghz but your computer has say a intel core 2 quad 2.5 ghz that it would easily handle the game am i right or wrong.:confused:

Just curious,but if a computer game say requires minimum of intel pentium 2.8ghz but your computer has say a intel core 2 quad 2.5 ghz that it would easily handle the game am i right or wrong.:confused:

Yes. You can't just compare the GHz.

I bet some are wondering if two 1.6 ghz would equal one 3.2 ghz when it comes to required system specs.

Again... it depends on the processors you are comparing. Just saying a 2.8 Ghz Pentium doesn't mean anything. A Pentium what? 1, 2, 3, 4, Core 2, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc

don't mean to hijack this thread but since we're on the topic of processors i have a question. can my pentium 4 3.2 ghz extreme edition L2 cache 2mb combined with a Nvidia GeForce 8300 512MB DDR video card and 2gb of DDR2 6400 of memory be enough to run HD video full screen smoothley or am I under powered?

I should my laptop is same specs almost and runs great. Just make sure you have a good decoder like powerDVD8 or Nvidia decoder it will help with the AVC format too.

don't mean to hijack this thread but since we're on the topic of processors i have a question. can my pentium 4 3.2 ghz extreme edition L2 cache 2mb combined with a Nvidia GeForce 8300 512MB DDR video card and 2gb of DDR2 6400 of memory be enough to run HD video full screen smoothley or am I under powered?

You are at the min that PowerDVD recommends for HD playback.

Intel (Minimum):

Pentium 4 541 3.2 GHz, Pentium D 840 3.2 GHz, Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz, 935 3.2GHz or 940 3.2 GHz, Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz, Pentium M 755 2.0 GHz, Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 GHz, or T5600 1.83 GHz

You are at the min that PowerDVD recommends for HD playback.

Thank you jagz. so right now I have a socket 478 with the cpu posted above. i would need to upgrade my MOBO for maybe a duo or quad core cpu socket 775. correct? is my video card good enough?

Last edited:
I bet some are wondering if two 1.6 ghz would equal one 3.2 ghz when it comes to required system specs.

Definitely not.

1.6x2 is only good when you can evenly divide the work load up on 2 processors. But, most of the time it does not work that way for one program.

What multiple processors really helps with is one processor runs the app you are trying to run and the other one(s) takes care of windows, antivirus, etc. But, your app is only getting 1.6.

The i7 has a new feature where it will automatically overclock a single core so your main app runs faster if the other cores are not so busy and the heat load is low.

It is a huge upgrade from where you are today. This upgrade is two processor generations ahead of where you are today. Personally I would go with Intel right now as they have a leg up on AMD at the present moment. Not sure how the Phenom II will compare to the quad Intel, but the quad Intel outperformed the Phenom.

Last edited:
It is a huge upgrade from where you are today. This upgrade is two processor generations ahead of where you are today. Personally I would go with Intel right now as they have a leg up on AMD at the present moment. Not sure how the Phenom II will compare to the quad Intel, but the quad Intel outperformed the Phenom.

thank you.

I honestly think that the computer manufacturers know that the more confusing they make this the more money they make when we buy less than what we need and then have to upgrade again. There needs to a a single industry gauge for all processors and graphics cards combos for the consumer to judge performance. Thow RAM into the mix and its mind boggling.

It should be fine. Also Intel already has a New Gen of CPU out. They are called Corei7 but yes your machine should be fine. Just always make sure you have a good video card as well due to you can have a fast cpu. But you must always have a really good video card for great gaming. A great video card will cost you most of the time more than your CPU.

Just remember to shut down all unnecessary processes to maximize resources and make sure your blow out the dust from the inside of the case from time to time.

It should be fine. Also Intel already has a New Gen of CPU out. They are called Corei7 but yes your machine should be fine. Just always make sure you have a good video card as well due to you can have a fast cpu. But you must always have a really good video card for great gaming. A great video card will cost you most of the time more than your CPU.

this is the card i have: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR V8402GL56 GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

of course i paid alot more when this card first came out. now there dirt cheap!!!! you would think i be used to this by now. especially since i upgrade every 2 to 3 years. a lot happens in one year,imagine how much more in 2. geesh.....

this is the card i have: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR V8402GL56 GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

of course i paid alot more when this card first came out. now there dirt cheap!!!! you would think i be used to this by now. especially since i upgrade every 2 to 3 years. a lot happens in one year,imagine how much more in 2. geesh.....

If your going to record and edit HD you'll need a least a core 2 duo but for video i would look at a mediaserver
Popcorn Hour Media Server

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)