Rumor- Apple planning to end intel processor in Imac and macbook

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
There was a report today on Bloomberg that Apple is planning to end it's use of Intel processor for OSX on MacBooks and IMACs next year.

If true, this could be a bad move for Apple to keep it's upside growth open. No longer would you be able to run dual OS for windows and OSX. They plan to use their own processor currently in play for iphone and ipad.

You mean Apple is planning on abandoning the decision that helped save them from desktop oblivion? I don't put much stock in this. Apple desktop and laptops have never been hotter and this will totally throw a wrench in their momentum.

Since they just released a new macbook and iMac with Intel processors in them I don't see this happening real soon. That said, there is certainly a case that can be made for using the same processors in their Macs as they do in their iPods, iPhones and iPads.

I doubt the "portable" processors can match current Intel performance.

Bloomberg had said they were probably trying to reduce hardware costs, but moving from Intel is a big deal on the software side and not easily done.

i am not saying I agree with this move but I think that Apple is moving away from the desktop market somewhat---not moving out just focusing on other areas. Secondly I think they have decided that they are ina much stronger market and technical position now and that they can do this. Good luck to them.

I doubt the "portable" processors can match current Intel performance.

There was a time when Intel processors couldn't keep up with the ones made by Motorola - times change. That's why Apple moved to Intel in the first place. Who knows what performance improvements will the competition make over the next few years?

I think it would be a BIG mistake for them to make. I know a lot of people purchased Macbook Pro's for the ability to boot into Windows when they need it.

It could also just be posturing to force Intel to make the promised power consumption optimizations they have been promising for years and not delivering.

Not mentioned in this thread so far is that this is coming from Bloomberg. Yes, they are good at financial stuff, but they certainly don't have a great record when it comes to Apple and tech in general. When/if I start seeing more reliable rumor sites start talking about this possibility, I might start to worry.

If they do that, I hope they do the right thing and release the source code under GPL and/or spin off the Intel portion to a seperate company. It's difficult to work in Windows at the office for me, but I do it due to a lack of options.

MacOS has a fair number of computer geeks on their platform and I've not yet found a desktop version on any of the various Linux distros that I like.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Here's some more on the subject, same source.

MARKET TALK: ARM Shares Gain On Apple Chip Switch Report
5:26a ET November 6, 2012 (Dow Jones)
MARKET TALK: ARM Shares Gain On Apple Chip Switch Report
1026 GMT [Dow Jones] ARM Holdings (ARM.LN) shares rise following a Bloomberg report that Apple (AAPL) is exploring a switch away from Intel (INTC) chips for the Mac. "This is massively bullish for ARM," says a trader. Another trader says it would make sense for Apple to share a common platform across devices. "However, the truth is that Mac sales are still just a fraction of total computer sales globally and that Apple's biggest penetration is in iPhones/iPads," he says. A third trader adds that with this news, ARM is in a prime position to be a bid candidate.
Apple considering switch from Intel: report
4:26p ET November 5, 2012 (MarketWatch)
Apple considering switch from Intel: report

Shares of Intel Corp. (INTC) slipped into the red on Monday on a report that Apple Inc. (AAPL) was considering replacing Intel chips in its Mac personal computers. Intel stock was down a fraction in after-hours trading. Apple was exploring using its own chip technology the company uses for the iPhone and the iPad, Bloomberg reported citing unnamed sources. Apple shares were up a fraction.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Apple+switch+from+Intel+chips+sources/7505884/story.html

http://allthingsd.com/20121106/will...-to-arm-why-the-rumors-do-and-dont-ring-true/

categories:

What are the considerations?

- power consumption
- horsepower
- price
- future
- unique/exclusive

+ power consumption: yea, Apple might lower it from (current) Intel chips
- horsepower: for gutless apps Apple probably sufficient, but for any heavy lifting Intel wins
+ system price: another plus for Apple chips
+ future: Apple would have it all under their control, not waiting for Intel to make new chips
+ unique/exclusive: Apple and users have a big ego, and their own processor would appeal, whether it's otherwise a good decision or not.

II was going to post what an absurd idea Apple processors are, but maybe I just convinced myself it could happen. :)

When Apple debated the move from the PPC G5 to Intel x86 CPUs, it was based on a number of factors, mostly power consumption, cost, and availability.

IBM has made great strides with the PPC since Apple switched, but the PPC chips are being used in servers, not notebooks, so power and heat aren't as big a consideration.

Apple has acquired a large number of chip designers and the new A6 & A6X chips are more capable than the ARM core the older A4 and A5 chips were based on. Since Mac OS X is the basis for iOS, moving OS X to a new Apple CPU should be easier than the move from PPC to Intel.

Supporting current Intel binaries will probably be done with the next iteration of Rosetta, allowing users to run their current Mac Apps on the new machines. Check out Tuesday's "Tech News Today" from TWiT for a good discussion on this topic.

Of course, this could be a ploy by Apple to get better pricing from Intel. Or, this could signal a paradigm shift in mobile computing to ARM-based hardware, a la Surface running Windows RT.

Discussion heats up:
What Apple dumping Intel could mean
6:05a ET November 8, 2012 (MarketWatch)
What Apple dumping Intel could mean

By Therese Poletti, MarketWatch

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- If Apple Inc. really dumps Intel Corp. as its provider of chips for the Macintosh family of computers, the move could be a harbinger of things to come for the PC industry and bad news for the semiconductor giant.

Earlier this week, Bloomberg reported that Apple (AAPL) is exploring ways to replace Intel's (INTC) processors in the Macintosh, which Apple has been putting in the Mac since 2005. The report said that such a move, if it happens, would probably not occur until about 2017.

To make the switch Apple would develop its own custom designs based on ARM Holdings Inc.(ARMHY) technology and have a contract manufacturer like Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. make them.

Analysts said they were not surprised by the report, as there have been rumors about such a move in the last few months. Some were more skeptical than others that it might really come to pass, but one thing was clear. If Apple starts to design its own chips for the Mac, others could follow. Intel's shares were hit by the news.

"We believe that Apple is a pioneer in this movement and would not be surprised if Apple, like Microsoft, moves to an ARM-based PC product," said Gus Richard, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, in a note to clients Tuesday. "We do not believe this is a positive trend for Intel."

Intel referred questions from a MarketWatch reporter to Apple. Neither Apple nor a spokeswoman for ARM would comment on the report.

Such a move by Apple would be a huge undertaking, since switching a core processor as the heart of hardware is not merely an instance of popping one semiconductor out for a replacement chip, or a supply chain switch for Apple. The company would also have to rewrite its Mac operating system to run with the ARM architecture, as it did when it moved from the PowerPC chip family to Intel.

Apple's recent management shakeup and the discussion of more collaboration between hardware and software units, has also fueled some of this speculation.

Richard's comment that the move wouldn't be "positive" for Intel, while perhaps the understatement of the day, points to a trend occurring as smartphones and tablets become more popular.

Companies developing the software and the mobile devices -- Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), Google Inc. (GOOG), Microsoft (MSFT) and others -- are now trying to control more and more of the consumer experience, and thus the development of all of their products. That was seen when Microsoft decided to design its Surface tablet itself, which also marked its first major break with Intel. The first iteration of the Surface, the Surface RT, uses a chip based on an ARM Holdings design. The next Surface, however, will be introduced with an Intel chip inside.

Kevin Krewell, a senior analyst with the Linley Group, said the potential shift by Apple has been rumored for some time. "The new generation of 64-bit ARM cores coming in 2014 ... are quite capable of PC workloads," Krewell said in an email, adding that he was typing on the Surface tablet running the ARM-based Tegra 3 chip from Nivida Inc. (NVDA) "And it works just fine."

As companies try to control every part of the whole "ecosystem" of the tablet and the smartphone -- from the operating system, to the app store, to all of the hardware itself -- they eventually may want to develop or control every aspect of the development. This is a different paradigm from the PC industry, where companies buy standard parts and basically assemble them, adding little innovation except in the chassis designs.

ARM designs allow for companies to have some input and customizing of the development. With Intel, companies are buying standard chips that the semiconductor giant has designed and manufactured. Apple's iPhone and the iPad both use ARM-based processors.

"One of the consequences of the post-PC and system-on-a-chip eras is the shift back toward internally developed silicon away from merchant silicon," Richard wrote.

Sergis Mushell, an analyst with Gartner Inc., does not believe that Apple would convert the entire Macintosh line to an ARM-based design. "I don't see a world where they would discontinue a product line just to produce their own chip," Mushell said. "They would do it where and when it makes sense." He said the key question for those wondering if the rest of the PC industry could embrace ARM is: can ARM chips really deliver on everything, including total compatibility with legacy Windows software?

"Are we going to have an environment where 100% of the people are going to be able to do everything they want to do on ARM?" he asked, noting that ARM's recent news about its server chip is for a "microserver" not a traditional server. "The horsepower you are given does not meet the horsepower that the x86 has," he said, referring to Intel's architecture.

For its part, Intel has been pushing hard to make inroads with less-power-consuming chips aimed at tablets and smartphones, but the bulk of its revenue is still from PCs and servers.

But if Apple does eventually start to develop more of its own chips, and other companies follow, Intel, the largest chip manufacturer in the world and one of the few to have its vast plants, might have to rethink its huge fixed manufacturing costs.

If the potential scenario with Apple were to pan out, Richard's vision of Intel having to get into merchant manufacturing for customers is perhaps not that far-fetched.
-Therese Poletti; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com

I also think it is a big mistake. The intel processors is why so many people I know have their equipment in the first place.

The only reason I see Apple doing this is so they can finally merge MacOS with iOS.

Dumb move though. Both my wife and I love our Macs at home and I couldn't fathom us going back to a Winblows box.

Emulation has changed the face of computing. What CPU your computing device uses matters not if you have software that can emulate the CPU your application needs.

Case in point: at work, we just replaced a pair of 18-year old minicomputers with two 1U Xeon servers that runs everything without any application changes. The emulation software runs on a neutered copy of Windows Server 2008 that has practically every service disabled. In fact, the LAN doesn't see the Windows server, just the emulated VAX. The change in size, power consumption, and speed is impressive.

So, for the majority of MacBook users, running Safari to surf the web is a task that can be run natively on an ARM-based CPU. Reading mail (runs on ARM) or managing pictures with iPhoto (runs on ARM) shouldn't require a quad-core x86 CPU.

For an iMac, migrating to ARM wouldn't be necessary for power-savings, but the lower thermal footprint would permit even thinner designs if Apple wanted to go that way.

So, maybe iOS 7 and OS B (eleven in hex? I can't see OS X 11) will converge into one OS that runs on all of Apple's ARM-based platforms.

Foxbat:

So you can emulate an 18 year old computer in software? Color me completely unimpressed.

18 years is 10 doublings of Moores law or about 1000x the CPU power.

That must be quite a specialized application.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts