Surface tablets get modest start

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
It is being reported that Windows RT Surface tablets are off to a modest start. Though no numbers are being shared, the expensive and extensive marketing campaign certainly isn't making the product fly off the shelves.

Tech blog Engadget reports from a European source, directly from CEO Steve Ballmer. One has to wonder how solid Ballmer's footing is as CEO if this becomes an expensive failure.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

John They will have to go public with the figures by end of January for the qtr report. I don't expect much since Surface RT is a low end iPAD and that's how most people will see it. On the other hand, the Pro version should be a hit for the laptop crowd interested in having tablet and laptop in one device. As you know from my postings, my own interest is in this direction. Meanwhile Microsoft is really harming it's own sales on Surface RT with such limited availability. If they do the same with the Pro, I'll be pissed, both as a stock holder now and as a potential customer.

I agree with you about Steve Ballmer. Never did like him. Seems like a guy full of enthusiasm but no direction to channel it and the direction he often goes in makes so little sense. I don't think he is very smart.

John They will have to go public with the figures by end of January for the qtr report. I don't expect much since Surface RT is a low end iPAD and that's how most people will see it. On the other hand, the Pro version should be a hit for the laptop crowd interested in having tablet and laptop in one device. As you know from my postings, my own interest is in this direction. Meanwhile Microsoft is really harming it's own sales on Surface RT with such limited availability. If they do the same with the Pro, I'll be pissed, both as a stock holder now and as a potential customer.

I agree with you about Steve Ballmer. Never did like him. Seems like a guy full of enthusiasm but no direction to channel it and the direction he often goes in makes so little sense. I don't think he is very smart.
interesting you call it a low end Ipad, I put it above a ipad as far as what all it comes with and what it can do.

Is this the first casualty of the modest start?

Windows head Steven Sinofsky is being shown the door at Microsoft according to All Things D

On there surface this is being painted as a personality conflict, but this is so close to the Win 8 launch and modest sales report that it makes one wonder.

Is this the first casualty of the modest start?

Windows head Steven Sinofsky is being shown the door at Microsoft according to All Things D

On there surface this is being painted as a personality conflict, but this is so close to the Win 8 launch and modest sales report that it makes one wonder.

From what I have heard he wanted Ballmers Job and made a threat, they called him on his bluff. We will see, to be honest I think windows 8 is off to a fast start, where as phone 8 is moving a little slow (but phones are just rolling out) I think once people see that both experiences are they same windows will gain a lot of traction. Especially if they see what smart glass can do thats amazing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts