prewiring home for satellite and slaving tv's

kathyintexas

Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Houston
Hey everyone,

I am building a new home and want to make sure to have my house wired properly for satellite now rather than after the home is built. I want to slave one television to another so that I can have one satellite box that runs 2 TVs that are in areas next to each other (like mater bedroom and master bath). The builder already wired the house with cable for the proper rooms. Now to wire the 2 areas to slave one TV to another here is the question....Do I have them run another Cat5 cable between the 2 TVs that will be slaved together so that I have the Cat5 that is with the whole house wiring then I have a Cat5 between the 2 TVs being slaved together? I think that is correct but my builder had never heard of slaving TVs. I want to get expert advise so that when my builder gets data from his source I know he is correct. I had Directv do the slaving last time I built after the fact and they made a huge mess of it and charged me a fortune.

Thank you so much.

If you are building a new home, you should contract a low voltage contractor and have your home wired correctly. It is unwise to wire a new home just for equipment setup you have now, and not plan for the future. Believe me, your equipment setup will change over the years. Besides, it will increase the resale value of the home.

If wired correctly, you will be able to backfeed one Directv receiver to multiple rooms, if that is what you wish to do.

Just be safe and run conduit to the area/areas that you want TV. This will allow you to change and run whatever you want whenever you want.

See if you can get your builder to put in 2 rg6 lines to every coax/tv wall box. That will help you in the world of DVRs and any future upgrades if they happen.

Popping a Cat5e line and/or a phone line wouldn't be a bad idea either to where you MAY someday place a box... with on demand downloads on satellite using high speed internet be sure to have a Cat5e line or better where you may put a dvr/HDDvr now or in the future.

Also, putting the main junction of all of the wires by the electric meter or to a wall where you have SW/SE clearance outside would be helpful for dish placement and wiring.

It is a lot easier to run lines before there is drywall and a lot better looking.

Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)