Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

I don't remember them being that low, but won't argue the point.

but there have been some stories earlier in the year that lead one to believe they'll be bigger than that this time.

Here's D*'s support page about rates increases the last time. Average 4.5%

And of course they also changed the HD/DVR/Whole Home to $25 which was a $10 increase on top of that.

He is correct. DTV usually raises rates only for 2 to 3 dollars. My package went up $2.00 last year

Well I have decided to offset the increase this way.

1. Drop down to top 200 from 250 $10.00 drop now , $5.00 after the increase. Only have top 250 because of one channel for my wife: DIY channel. She'll adapt.

2. Drop off one joey $7.00 drop now.

3. Take the $5.00 credit for 2nd Hopper till June of 2015 then drop the 2nd hopper and sell it on E-bay or trade in to dishdepot.com along with my 1st hopper towards the newest hopper.

So there will be NO increase for you DISH. I'll save $17.00 a month now and $12.00 a month after the increase and then will save another $7.00 after June of 2015. That should insulate me from this year and possibly next year's increase- unless they hike equipment fees even more than they have or make us all start paying for "HD for life "$10.00 fee like new subs have to after 24 months.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney comes back aboard to see another increase soon thereafter.
I don't think Dish has had two programming increases in a single year.
MikeD-C05 said:
So there will be NO increase for you DISH. I'll save $17.00 a month now and $12.00 a month after the increase and then will save another $7.00 after June of 2015. That should insulate me from this year and possibly next year's increase.
You make it sound personal.

I have not seriously considered switching to Direct because I was always happy with DISH. It looks like the programming costs are roughly the same after both sets of increases. I guess it will come down to the equipment costs to see who is the "better value".

Or promos

Nice thing for them, looks like no equipment price increases

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The five dollar credit does come in handy for the next year and a half. While we all have have different points of downgrading and stuff. Having a two hopper system is nice for us, can't see myself exchanging for a Joey. I see myself dumping the premiums, though I love being able to watch the sopranos each night on HBO signature :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wow, I am glad I dumped dish in the beginning of january 2013, january 2014 will be a full year since I had pay tv. I have been using OTA. They all get greedier and greedier every year, I wonder how much churn they get?

I enjoy having a premium movie channel or two but with the amount of times they offer them for free preview I figure I can just record a bunch of shows then and watch them later. I have HBO at half price right now and the only reason I added it was for Hard Knocks.

I use maybe 10 channels on a regular basis. A la carte pricing is needed. With ever increasing options online, it seems like it's just a matter of time before the present cable/sat system collapses. As online options continue to flourish, the pace of change will speed up.

And I can afford the price increase. It's just that I don't think what they're offering is worth quite what they're asking.

I use maybe 10 channels on a regular basis. A la carte pricing is needed. With ever increasing options online, it seems like it's just a matter of time before the present cable/sat system collapses. As online options continue to flourish, the pace of change will speed up.

And I can afford the price increase. It's just that I don't think what they're offering is worth quite what they're asking.

This gets brought up every day. There are some major benefits to having a la carte but there are going to be flaws. Chances are one of the channels that is on your favorites list may go away if things went a la carte. Not every channel will be able to afford to stay on. If somehow all these channels did happen to stay you wouldn't end up saving that much money overall anyway. Be prepared to pay anywhere from $2-$10 for each channel. The networks are going to get their money from us one way or another.

I also have Directvpr, but only for the bunch of Discovery, Bio and NATGEO latin america, but also my parents watch TNT because Bones, Castle and Mentalist have SAP in Spanish. I want that Netflix and Hulu have dubbed programing to really cut off Directvpr. The old platform of Directv puerto rico have a good selection, but the new platform trimmed over 10 unique channel.

I have Dish for EPIX and STARZ! are good complements for my HD television.

This gets brought up every day. There are some major benefits to having a la carte but there are going to be flaws. Chances are one of the channels that is on your favorites list may go away if things went a la carte. Not every channel will be able to afford to stay on. If somehow all these channels did happen to stay you wouldn't end up saving that much money overall anyway. Be prepared to pay anywhere from $2-$10 for each channel. The networks are going to get their money from us one way or another.

I'm sure you're right as a general statement. I bet though, that the channels I'd keep would be closer to $2 than $10. I'd get my money's worth and pay a lot less. The $10 channels would be things like ESPN, Disney, and maybe cable news channels, all of which I could easily and happily do without. For others though, you are completely right, they wouldn't save with a la carte.

In general, I was just commenting on the flat or even diminishing trend in subscribers for cable/sat overall. With every price increase, and every new online offering, this trend can only speed up.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right as a general statement. I bet though, that the channels I'd keep would be closer to $2 than $10. I'd get my money's worth and pay a lot less. The $10 channels would be things like ESPN, Disney, and maybe some news channels, all of which I could easily and happily do without. For others though, you are completely right, they wouldn't save with a la carte.

In general, I was just commenting on the flat or even diminishing trend in subscribers for cable/sat overall. With every price increase, and every new online offering, this trend can only speed up.

ESPN and Disney are the obvious ones but it's the niche channels that will be the most expensive. If they don't charge a premium then they will no longer exist. If The Military Channel was a la carte I bet it would cost over $5 to have it otherwise it couldn't afford to stay on the air. Same thing with channels like The Outdoor Channel.

ESPN and Disney are the obvious ones but it's the niche channels that will be the most expensive. If they don't charge a premium then they will no longer exist. If The Military Channel was a la carte I bet it would cost over $5 to have it otherwise it couldn't afford to stay on the air. Same thing with channels like The Outdoor Channel.

With the way prices are going up....thats the model that should be adopted going forward. If people needs & watch those niche channels then they should pay for it...rather then everybody else paying for it. This is the model to go forward. & will happen sooner then later...& the funny part is will be requested by those channels only...to let them sell their channels la carte...since mojority is in the welcome pack anyway or let the cable/satellite world all together.

The info I posted this morning, it looks like most DIRECTV bills are going up $4.

huh?
3 of the 5 packages went up either 2 or 3 bucks...only the top 2 went up 4 & 5 respectively. But the top one includes all premiums so that extra buck is probably for a premium
Since most people are on Choice or Xtra you're looking a 3 buck uptick max. Much better than $5 across the board

I am wondering why it is that even though I have recently started a new 2-year commitment, I have to pay the higher prices. My agreement to that 2-Year commitment was based on pricing in effect at the time. For me, this will be a $2.00 increase for my first Hopper, $5.00 for the second, and another $5.00 for the AT200. That is a $12.00 increase. Don't their ads against DIRECTV accuse them of bait and switch? Why am I locked in for 2-years but my pricing is not locked in? To me, this IS bait and switch, exactly what they advertise against and claim they do not do. I just downgraded from AT250 at the beginning of this year, now it looks like I have to drop down again since I cannot afford to break the commitment. Those increases should be for new customers (and non-committed renewals) but customers with commitments should not have to pay increases until their commitments expire. After all, a contract works both ways. My rant for the year! :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)