Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

They need a hopper that can do 5 shows at a time while watching a live recording. If the Joey had a tuner in them then there would be no need for a 2nd hopper unless getting one for in case the first hopper fails. At some point Dish and even other companies need a wake up call. When you have subscribers dropping service in numbers there's a problem. My two biggest issues with dish on this increase are no EspnU in HD, Disney jr, pbs kids sprout, part time RSN's. Missing other HD other companies have.

No matter what they do, how many tuners they add (if any), people will always say they should do more.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They need a hopper that can do 5 shows at a time while watching a live recording. If the Joey had a tuner in them then there would be no need for a 2nd hopper unless getting one for in case the first hopper fails. At some point Dish and even other companies need a wake up call. When you have subscribers dropping service in numbers there's a problem. My two biggest issues with dish on this increase are no EspnU in HD, Disney jr, pbs kids sprout, part time RSN's. Missing other HD other companies have.

IN my opinion: The main reason why they made it with only three tuners is because, they knew it would make people have to have a 2nd hopper for tuner conflicts with families with 3 or more people. They originally only put the fee for a 2nd hopper at $7.00 -same as the Joey units. So just about everyone got a 2nd hopper and some even a third at only $7.00.

Then last Spring of 2013 ,about the same time as the 2nd generation of hopper was released,they lowered the boom and said: "Oh by the way, we are going to go up to $12.00 for the second hopper. We all screamed and yelled , rightfully so, that it was bait and switch. So after page after page of outrage on this site , the powers that be at DISH decided to "grandfather" everyone with the old hoppers before May of 2013.

So now 6 months later DISH says Guess what? The grandfathering ends , come January bill and now everyone will pay the $12.00 2nd hopper fee and the dvr fee is going up to $12.00 as well. Oh but as a consolation prize to all the folks out there who took the bait , we will give you a $5.00 credit for 18 months, but your dvr fee is still going up the $2.00.

So to put this in perspective that all can understand , the reason why DISH is creating only three tuner hoppers is because they want the extra $$$ that now all 2nd hoppers will create at $12.00 vs $7.00 like the joeys . So GREED wins again! After all DISH is the KING of Made Up , Because we can, Charge it FEES.:mad:

IN my opinion: The main reason why they made it with only three tuners is because, they knew it would make people have to have a 2nd hopper for tuner conflicts with families with 3 or more people. They originally only put the fee for a 2nd hopper at $7.00 -same as the Joey units. So just about everyone got a 2nd hopper and some even a third at only $7.00.

Then last Spring of 2013 ,about the same time as the 2nd generation of hopper was released,they lowered the boom and said: "Oh by the way, we are going to go up to $12.00 for the second hopper. We all screamed and yelled , rightfully so, that it was bait and switch. So after page after page of outrage on this site , the powers that be at DISH decided to "grandfather" everyone with the old hoppers before May of 2013.

So now 6 months later DISH says Guess what? The grandfathering ends , come January bill and now everyone will pay the $12.00 2nd hopper fee and the dvr fee is going up to $12.00 as well. Oh but as a consolation prize to all the folks out there who took the bait , we will give you a $5.00 credit for 18 months, but your dvr fee is still going up the $2.00.

So to put this in perspective that all can understand , the reason why DISH is creating only three tuner hoppers is because they want the extra $$$ that now all 2nd hoppers will create at $12.00 vs $7.00 like the joeys . So GREED wins again! After all DISH is the KING of Made Up , Because we can, Charge it FEES.:mad:

Well stated.

BUT - is the Genie $25 for five tuners? So it's $25 or nothing, vs a choice with DISH? And if you do get two Hoppers it is six tuners, plus PTAT, for $24.....

So I see it as DISH has given a choice. That does not mean I agree that past subscribers should get the increase, and I have already posted people should remain grandfathered, and they are getting a credit for 18 months, but in the end they are paying less than Direct TV for more in terms of tuners and how many shows could be recorded at one time...

And that, Mike, is business as usual corporate America. You should be used to it by now.

Apparently a large majority of Dish Hopper customers have just one Hopper (& one or more Joeys). So clearly they are meeting the needs of most with 3 tuners.

Apparently a large majority of Dish Hopper customers have just one Hopper (& one or more Joeys). So clearly they are meeting the needs of most with 3 tuners.

When the $5.00 credit ends ,we will get by with only a single hopper as well. Hopefully the newest hopper with all the bells and whistles will be out by June of 2015 and I can trade in my two old hoppers for credit towards it at www.dishdepot.com.

I much prefer having two HWS than one with 5 or more tuners. Why?

Because when the hard drive fails, and it will at some point, I still have dvr capability. Had a HWS fail in November and while I could not record on the one I use most, I could still enjoy PTAT or other recordings on the second hopper.

YMMV

I much prefer having two HWS than one with 5 or more tuners. Why?

Because when the hard drive fails, and it will at some point, I still have dvr capability. Had a HWS fail in November and while I could not record on the one I use most, I could still enjoy PTAT or other recordings on the second hopper.

YMMV

At the new higher 2nd hopper fee of $12.00 a month x 12 months = $144.00 a year in order to have redundancy ,doesn't seem to me to be worth it. I'd rather have the money doing something else. Besides these new hoppers seem pretty rock solid stable and have little to no problems -other than the occasional software glitches. I've had my two for close to two years and have suffered no hard drive problems or crap outs. KNOCK ON WOOD!

But that still ignores that DIRECT is actually more expensive for less. Your comparison was to the Genie and five tuners. Problem is that is one unit, one size fits all @$25. Two Hoppers, with redunancy and with what I already posted gives you more, for less.

So using the math you used,
$25X12=$300 for DIRECT with no choice.
$12X12=$144 for DISH OR
$24X12=$288 for DISH with redunancy, an additional tuner more than the Genie, but also with PTAT. (Faster, many seem to say stable and better overall equipment)

So while it sucks that in 18 months it appears everyone will pay that, (maybe) when you compared it to the Genie it comapares better.

Tampa8,

Your numbers are correct but redundancy is easy enough with Direct too. Instead of a Genie with all Minis, put an HRxx into the mix. Now you have some redundancy, though the HRxx has fewer tuners it will also share recordings. Overall you'd then have 7 tuners with Direct, and with a 2 Hopper setup you'd have 6 and if PTAT is put into play, more.

From a programming and all fees standpoint, the difference in total cost between D* and E* isn't much after the new rates kick in. And in some cases, D* will be slightly less at retail than E*.

I honestly don't see an argument here. Of course price increases suck but you still have to compare it with the competition. If you are going to get the same or more for a similar price then I don't see how you are getting screwed. I think you're just upset because you were so happy with the original prices, I know I was.

Does anyone recall when the Hopper first came out and we say what the price was for a secondary Hopper? There were a lot of people saying how they were surprised it was that cheap. Most people new that Dish was going to charge more for it, maybe not $12 but at least $10.

But that still ignores that DIRECT is actually more expensive for less. Your comparison was to the Genie and five tuners. Problem is that is one unit, one size fits all @$25. Two Hoppers, with redunancy and with what I already posted gives you more, for less.

So using the math you used,
$25X12=$300 for DIRECT with no choice.
$12X12=$144 for DISH OR
$24X12=$288 for DISH with redunancy, an additional tuner more than the Genie, but also with PTAT. (Faster, many seem to say stable and better overall equipment)

So while it sucks that in 18 months it appears everyone will pay that, (maybe) when you compared it to the Genie it comapares better.
You forgot the hd fee included with the 25.00 advance receiver fee for direct but ten more with dish :)

I'd say very few Dish customers pay that $10 HD fee. There are ways around it, including paperless autopay.

I'd say very few Dish customers pay that $10 HD fee. There are ways around it, including paperless autopay.

At the moment, but the new rates are showing that it will be only for 2 years for new customers going forward.

You forgot the hd fee included with the 25.00 advance receiver fee for direct but ten more with dish :)

Didn't forget - I don't and most don't pay an HD fee. Even new subscribers are not for at least awhile. Lets see what conditions are at that time before we start adding a fee not yet enforced.

Last edited:
Tampa8,

Your numbers are correct but redundancy is easy enough with Direct too. Instead of a Genie with all Minis, put an HRxx into the mix. Now you have some redundancy, though the HRxx has fewer tuners it will also share recordings. Overall you'd then have 7 tuners with Direct, and with a 2 Hopper setup you'd have 6 and if PTAT is put into play, more.

From a programming and all fees standpoint, the difference in total cost between D* and E* isn't much after the new rates kick in. And in some cases, D* will be slightly less at retail than E*.

At what cost for the extra receiver with tuners? Is it more than a mini? Post after post fails to talk about the cost of Direct like somehow you are getting better or less. Of course you can add a receiver with tuners to the Genie, but how much more then?
I'm just not getting why it's being portrayed that DISH is way out of line on all this. No one wants increases of course, but all the arguements forget a small fact - Direct TV is right around or more expensive for what we are talking about and as mentioned DISH at least gives a choice to spend less, much less. By the way Charter where I am and FIOS where I am are also more expensive for lesser equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts