Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

19 here...

"The company began using Dish Network as its consumer brand in March 1996, after the successful launch of its first satellite, EchoStar I, in December 1995. That launch marked the beginning of its subscription television services."
A quote from Wikipedia. Dish has only been in business not quite 18 years.

When I had c-band, I remember reading about Direct Band Satellite(DBS) coming. My c-band receivers were built by EchoStar. C-band program distributers required you to have a separate full subscription for each receiver. When DBS came , the second receiver was only $5 and carried all the channels on your primary receiver. With C-band it could take up to 30 seconds to move to a satellite and receive your programing. The second receiver could only view the programming on the satellite you were on. My c-band dish was 10 feet in diameter. Thank you Dish for revolutionizing satellite delivery of TV.

Yes for programing convenience, I could see many complaining to move the dish to each sat, in today's climate but for some, the choices (back then) and pq difference stands out

My parents had Cband in the 80's and 90's they loved the choices but I know when I went to college it was getting a bit frustrating for them when sats would move and having to program

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

"The company began using Dish Network as its consumer brand in March 1996, after the successful launch of its first satellite, EchoStar I, in December 1995. That launch marked the beginning of its subscription television services."
A quote from Wikipedia. Dish has only been in business not quite 18 years.

Wow, seemed longer ago than that. When I moved into this house, the area up here in the hills didn't even have cable yet, so I went with satellite, and have had it ever since. That was 20 years ago this past December...so it's been 18 years with Dish then, because I know I didn't go too long without TV up here...

Thanks for the date correction!

Anyone know ? I upgraded one of my Hoppers to Hopper with Sling in July. I had two regular Hoppers for over a year plus a joey . will i get the $5 month credit discount ? will it go on original activation date or my replacement date ?

I also upgraded my 2nd hopper to HWS in July, was told by Dirt I would get the discount. Send a pm to one of the Dirt reps & they can verify your status.

love the dog!

It is my understanding that programming discounts will only be for customers who signed up within the last year, after January 17th, 2013. Customers who were receiving the original $10 Whole-Home DVR fee and $7 secondary Hopper fee should receiver some form of a discount.

Just got my bill dated 21 January 2014 and it reflected all the new price increase. But, a little good news, Hopper 2, 3, and 4 are listed with -$5.00 each for 18 months.

Just got my bill dated 21 January 2014 and it reflected all the new price increase. But, a little good news, Hopper 2, 3, and 4 are listed with -$5.00 each for 18 months.

Thank you for the post. Now I won't have to worry about my bill going up $15 (for now anyway.)

Thanks for info i hope i get discount for second Hopper $12 a month jump kinda hurts all at once ..how many months was credit for? a year?

That gives you time to get rid of the second hopper and go with a super joey instead. Although if they charge $10.00 for a super joey ,that is only $2.00 less than the 2nd Hopper fee. I don't really know if it would be worth it to do the change out to save $2.00 a month.

That gives you time to get rid of the second hopper and go with a super joey instead. Although if they charge $10.00 for a super joey ,that is only $2.00 less than the 2nd Hopper fee. I don't really know if it would be worth it to do the change out to save $2.00 a month.

It would save me $4/Mo at most with my setup (2H/2SJ vs 4H.) Not worth it IMO. I guess we'll see what our options are in 18 months :) .

I could be wrong but I don't see many current two Hopper households swapping the second Hopper, extra space and the ability to have another working hopper if one fails. Now I do see this as a popular choice for new subs, especially those who may not know all the details a second Hopper may allow over a super Joey. For me a super Joey would be great if it was allowed to replace my Joey in my Two Hopper/One Joey set up

I wonder if I went with 1H and it died, would Dish allow me to reactivate my owned 722 for the time it takes to get a replacement Hopper?

I wonder if I went with 1H and it died, would Dish allow me to reactivate my owned 722 for the time it takes to get a replacement Hopper?

Only if you had a separate sat coax line run straight from your dish. Otherwise I don't think it would work with the hopper node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)