Pricing Update from Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
:rant:

I called Directv and arm wrestled with them on price and also new equipment. I have 4 HD DVR's with Dish.

Directv's prices for two years saves me $780 or $32.50 per month. My equipment costs to acquire 4 Directv DVR's would be $298 (they would give me the first two free, $99 for the third and $199 for the fourth). In addition, because their DVR's do not have an OTA tuner you must purchase two AM21 OTA boxes to duplicate what the DISH DVR's do by virtue of having an OTA tuner built in. The AM21 boxes are $50.00 each. This brings the total equipment cost to $398.

By deducting the equipment costs I would save $382 dollars by switching to Directv. I can also save another $100 using my son as a referral (he also gets a $100 credit). In addition, AAA members get $10 per month for 24 months for signing with Directv. This generates another $240 savings for a total savings of $722 over 24 months, even with purchasing new equipment.

I am calling Dish shortly and see if they will match the Directv deal. I doubt that they will.

If not, I will switch.

I am waiting to see if D* comes up with a better DVR and new HD Premium channels, specifically HBO and Cinemax and one local HD-Ind (KONG) are lacking.
I have NHL-CI through April.... Until then, it will be a drastically reduced AEP->AT120+ Package and am enjoying over $82x3 savings my first 3 mos. from FiOS. I got another 10 a month for 24 mos OR 20 for 12 just for getting mad at their stupid 1st month (and a half) triple-play billing. Fun and frustrating. Wife actually likes DISH, but doesn't like the 2 switches and wires... OK maybe I'll trade a 722 for a free 612 and sell a switch. hhmm OR maybe FiOS comes up with eSata and/or more space. Their DVR is second to DISH's, just needs those two and MRV is NICE.

Last edited:
Be careful. It is impossible to get both the referral credit and the AAA credit on the same account.

AAA DirecTV Discount Info:
In the small print at the bottom it says:
For the referral program (click "Additional Offer Details" in the bottom-right corner), the small print says:
It is not possible to place your order on both phone numbers, and you cannot place your order on one, then call the other to get the other offer.

So, the AAA and Referral offers are mutually exclusive. You can't have both.

The AAA number took my referral just fine.

Got my new bill

It went up from $30.41 to $30.53. This is from taxes, due to the bundled lease fee of my 222 going up from $7 to $9.

DISH chat is still insisting that I have to have my receiver connected to a phone line, though... or pay an extra $5/month.

(03) Catherine B. CTO: Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Your agent is experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by while we re-establish contact or find a new agent...

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

Please wait while we find an agent from the (03) Customer Service department to assist you.

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: I apologize for the network interruption.

Me: no problem

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: You are not charged anything as equipment fee.

Me: I want to disconnect the phone line from my receiver. Before, you would charge me $5 a month if I did this. Will you still charge me for this under the new equipment pricing?

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: You'll be charged only $5 monthly for not hooking a phone line.

Me: I thought you just said that I am not charged anything as equipment fee?

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: Well, phone line fee and equipment fee are different.

Me: The old bills used to show a fee of $5 for not having a phone line connected, under "Explanation of Detailed Activity"... but the new bill doesn't? Are you sure that you still charge this fee?

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: You can hook Ethernet to the receiver to avoid the $5 charge monthly.

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: If a phone line or Ethernet is hooked to a receiver, you'll not be charged anything.

Me: Why doesn't the new bill mention this fee, like the old ones did?

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: As you are not charged for that, your bill didn't mention that charge.

Me: The old bills called it a "TV2 Receiver Connection" fee under "Explanation of Charges".... this doesn't appear on the new bill.

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: To avoid any confusion, we have not mentioned that as you are not charged for that.

Me: I'm totally confused... so you can charge me for something that the bill doesn't tell me about?

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: No.

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: To avoid the confusion on the bill, we have not mentioned that.

Me: But you did before, even though I wasn't charged for it.

(03hy) Steve K. PAG: If a phone line or Ethernet is not hooked up, it'll be billed.

Me: ok, thanks
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

I just finished a chat with DISH, asking about the $5 fee for not having a phone line connected. According to this guy, I still have to pay it... unless I signup for autopay.

Me: I'd like to turn off my landline phone. Am I still subject to a $5 fee if I don't have my 222 receiver connected to a phone line?

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today.* Please give me a moment to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

(03hy) Chris V. VVP: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: I'd be happy to assist you with that.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: In order to avoid the TV2 connection fee, you need to connect the receiver to the phone line.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: However, it can be waived if you sign up for autopay with paperless billing.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: A valid e-mail address should also be updated on the account.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: Do you wish to sign up for autopay with paperless billing?

Me: is this true, even if the 222 is my only receiver?

(03hy) Chris V. VVP: Yes, it is.

Me: Thanks for the info. I do not want to sign up for autopay... I'll just keep the phone line.

(03hy) Chris V. VVP: That's fine.
(03hy) Chris V. VVP: As you are a wonderful Dish Network customer, I can offer you HBO and Showtime free for 3 months on the account.

Me: no thank you

(03hy) Chris V. VVP: Not a problem.

THANKS!!!

I called Dish Network.and after they "checked" for 5 minutes while I was on hold, they were kind enough to combine my Gold HD and Platinum HD into "HD + Platinum HD" for just $10.00/mo. Wasn't that nice of them?

So if anybody out there still is paying $10 for gold and $10 for platinum, call dish and ask them to combine the two into a single $10 charge!

Bigdwoof

I called them again and they still refuse to reduce the charge and combine the two HD programming. Who did you talk to? Maybe I have been a customer too long since 1998 and I will have to terminate service to get treated right.

Make sure you pretend you are going to quit Dish over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........

HEY, the last time I was so upset was back when I had FIVE 721s sitting here and NONE worked. One crashed because of crap software without limits, too many recordings? endless reboots:( the emaing 4 or 5 couldnt download initial software thru my sw64 switch.

I will likely still cancel once the weather improves.

I called them again and they still refuse to reduce the charge and combine the two HD programming. Who did you talk to? Maybe I have been a customer too long since 1998 and I will have to terminate service to get treated right.

Go online and remove all your HD programming. Then add it back. It should now be $10.

My bill went up about $5 a month. Is there anyway to see how long you have remaining on your contract and what happens to the dish that is on the back of my house if I chose to cancel??

Go online and remove all your HD programming. Then add it back. It should now be $10.

The HD programming no longer displays when you click the + drop down. (It does for the non-HD programming). Dish closed that door. I cancelled the Platinum pkg, which new subscribers get free along with their $10 HD pkg, but lost the Platinum channels. Dish justs keeps screwing customers like me that have been with them 12 years- -well not the ones that moved faster than me on that deal before the door closed. Correction. To get the HD options to display in my case, clicked on the 200 pkg and HD & Platinum HD option displayed. Clicked back on the 250 pkg (which was what I already had) and the HD option remained displayed. Then changed the programming as described in other posts. I assumed incorrectly that it no longer could be done when it was the DN site that had a glitch that would not allow the transaction.

Last edited:
I have 2 622's AEP + Platinum and locals, my bill went up $13.01 which is 10.8%. old bill was $119.98 new bill is 132.99. My Social Security check check went up O% this year because there is supposed to be negative inflation. Somebody forgot to tell Charlie!

My bill went up about $5 a month. Is there anyway to see how long you have remaining on your contract and what happens to the dish that is on the back of my house if I chose to cancel??

What happens to it is your choice, they aren't going to take it down. You can if you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)