Pricing Update from Dish Network

I've read through this thread and I think that for my situation my bill will not go up, but can someone confirm.

Right now I have the following on my bill:

Leased Receiver fee 7.00
Silver HD 10.00
Classic Silver 200 with DVR 57.99
Platinum HD 10.00
DVR Package Credit -3.00
Total 81.99

I have a 622 receiver with 2 TVs. The phoneline is plugged in to the receiver, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

I also have been getting the Cinemax for .01 It seems like I've been getting that for more than a year, but it hasn't shown up on my bill yet.

Do they just shut that off at the end of a year, or do I need to figure out when they start charging and downgrade?

I'm inclined to get rid of the HD platinum as I hardly ever watch it, but if they are somehow continuing to not charge on the Cinemax because of the platinum, then I'll let it go for a while longer.

Also, how do I figure out if I'm under contract. I don't see that anywhere in my online account info or on my paperless bill statement.

Chris
Gotta look back through this thread and youll see the breakdown.
52.99 Dish Top 200
10.00 HD access
10.00 Platinum HD
6.00 DVR fee

78.99 plus tax

Your 622 will be included in your regular programming package, no "lease" fee.
This is another case of the bill doing down!
Also, you should call or chat with a CSR to get your HD and platinum for 10.00 total instead of 20.00. For any new customer HD access includes platinum channels. For existing customers, you need to call and make a case for them to give you the price of 10.00 for HD + platinum.
You should realistically get your bill to go down to 68.99 plus tax.

John

Right now I have the following on my bill:

Leased Receiver fee 7.00
Silver HD 10.00
Classic Silver 200 with DVR 57.99
Platinum HD 10.00
DVR Package Credit -3.00
Total 81.99

I have a 622 receiver with 2 TVs. The phoneline is plugged in to the receiver, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore.

HD Platinum doesn't exist anymore. The channels represented in it and the gold were consolidated in like September of 2009. You can fix it yourself by going into your online account, changing the programming to remove silver and platinum. then add the only option there. that'll save you $10 a month right off the bat.

I'm not sure why you see a lease fee. If you only have one 622 receiver, and the phone line is plugged in all the receiver fees should be included in your Classic Silver 200 with DVR price. At least that is how I understood it. I.e. two of my receivers are "leased" and I don't have any lease fees. (perhaps this is one of the confusions they are thinking will be fixed with this new plan)

If you only have one receiver it should end up being.

So if you take action, your prices should be after the change:

$ 6.00 DVR Fee
$52.99 Silver 200
$10.00 HD & Platinum
---------
$68.99

If you have a 2nd receiver, then add the appropriate amount for the extra receiver fee.

Interesting...

A number of friends sent me a SWF file of the new Dish Network monthly price calculator, I am guessing this is the new price calculator which will be used on 2/1/10 at http://www.dishnetwork.com/2010

I punched in my information and was surprised at what I saw... According to the information I got my bill is going up 28.01 a month (thats including a $6 monthly "Loyality Credit") but a few things I saw which I found.

First there is a box asking if your receivers have been plugged into a phone line / broadband before February 1st. If you answer YES to that the program gives you a $5 receiver credit per receiver. Did Dish have a change of heart on the phoneline fees?

But the pricing is wrong in its calculation as it does not figure in Superstations into the mix, currently I pay $8.99 for locals with superstations included. Does this mean after 2/1 that the Superstations are going to be included free? (I don't think so... I think Superstations are something they overlooked.)

I dont know if I should put this SWF file up so people can try things out as I don't want any of my contacts to get in trouble.

Attachments

• scottbill.jpg
    scottbill.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 413
HD Platinum doesn't exist anymore. The channels represented in it and the gold were consolidated in like September of 2009. You can fix it yourself by going into your online account, changing the programming to remove silver and platinum. then add the only option there. that'll save you $10 a month right off the bat.

I'm not sure why you see a lease fee. If you only have one 622 receiver, and the phone line is plugged in all the receiver fees should be included in your Classic Silver 200 with DVR price. At least that is how I understood it. I.e. two of my receivers are "leased" and I don't have any lease fees. (perhaps this is one of the confusions they are thinking will be fixed with this new plan)

If you only have one receiver it should end up being.

So if you take action, your prices should be after the change:

$ 6.00 DVR Fee
$52.99 Silver 200
$10.00 HD & Platinum
---------
$68.99

If you have a 2nd receiver, then add the appropriate amount for the extra receiver fee.

I've been on the phone for 45 min. now arguing about the receiver fee. The good news is that they did take care of the platinum fee and I have all the same HD channels for $10 instead of $20.

They claim that the 7.00 is a lease fee for the first receiver and is a correct charge. I went back and read the back of the bill and it certainly sounds like I shouldn't be charged a lease fee on the 622 receiver. The 622 is a duo receiver, so is that the reason why I'm being charged the 7.00

In addition, I know when I upgraded to HD 3 years ago I paid 99.00 for the priviledge, doesn't that eliminate this 7.00 charge. Of course they can't find evidence of my paying that. I think somehow I got screwed because I was on the DishDVR advantage, they changed their pricing and they are going to keep arguing, because they don't want to pay for a mistake that goes back more than a year.

I'm tempted to change to Direct, get their deal for a year, probably get locked into it for two years, but then I can come back to Dish and get another good deal. LOL They don't realize that their policies are what create churn.

Scott, do you happen to know when they started including the lease fee for the first receiver in the programming fee?

Per above I have the silver/200 package and am being charged a 7.00 lease fee on my one receiver a VIP 622.

At one point in the past I'm sure that each and every receiver had a lease fee, but this has changed as described in the dishnetwork FAQ.

Edit: So after another hour on chat I learn that I'm being charged 7 because my 622 was leased in 2006 when a lease fee applied. They say the only way to get rid of the charge is upgrade my receiver and sign another 24 month contract. I told them that Direct would be glad to give me a better deal and I've been transferred to a loyalty rep. The loyalty rep tells me that the problem has already been fixed by the CSR I talked to earlier in the day who said that he couldn't help me. His manager must have fixed it. I wish I'd argued this earlier as it doesn't look like they are going to give me back the money they overcharged me for the past year.

Last edited:
I just read though about 100 comments here and I am both confused and pissed. I have Gold 250 with HD and locals on a 722, and I just replaced my owned 508 with a 722k this month ... plus I just talked my mother-in-law into DISH because I was generally pleased with the service over the past 10 years.

I just got my bill yesterday (1-23-10) and it does NOT show any prices changes ... gotta wait until the next one for that.

The bottom line is, if I'm reading this stuff right, my bill could go up 20%-25% ... that is obscene, unethical and just plain wrong. This hide-the-wienie approach to fees sucks and I will definitely look into switching to Direct, although admittedly, I really don't want to. My only problem is, with my 722k add-on three weeks ago, am I stuck with the service for another 101 weeks until my contract runs out?!

Any enlightenment on my future fees would be appreiciated but I just needed to vent! :rant:

Scott, do you happen to know when they started including the lease fee for the first receiver in the programming fee?

Per above I have the silver/200 package and am being charged a 7.00 lease fee on my one receiver a VIP 622.

At one point in the past I'm sure that each and every receiver had a lease fee, but this has changed as described in the dishnetwork FAQ.

Edit: So after another hour on chat I learn that I'm being charged 7 because my 622 was leased in 2006 when a lease fee applied. They say the only way to get rid of the charge is upgrade my receiver and sign another 24 month contract. I told them that Direct would be glad to give me a better deal and I've been transferred to a loyalty rep. The loyalty rep tells me that the problem has already been fixed by the CSR I talked to earlier in the day who said that he couldn't help me. His manager must have fixed it. I wish I'd argued this earlier as it doesn't look like they are going to give me back the money they overcharged me for the past year.

Call back and complain some more! They owe you a credit on your account!!

Theres a little rumor they MAY be reconsidering......... but only time will tell .........

It's not as bad as thread

I just read though about 100 comments here and I am both confused and pissed. I have Gold 250 with HD and locals on a 722, and I just replaced my owned 508 with a 722k this month ... plus I just talked my mother-in-law into DISH because I was generally pleased with the service over the past 10 years.

I just got my bill yesterday (1-23-10) and it does NOT show any prices changes ... gotta wait until the next one for that.

The bottom line is, if I'm reading this stuff right, my bill could go up 20%-25% ... that is obscene, unethical and just plain wrong. This hide-the-wienie approach to fees sucks and I will definitely look into switching to Direct, although admittedly, I really don't want to. My only problem is, with my 722k add-on three weeks ago, am I stuck with the service for another 101 weeks until my contract runs out?!

Any enlightenment on my future fees would be appreiciated but I just needed to vent! :rant:

The bill isn't as bad as you would think from this thread. :D

I though the $7 lease fee was bogus. dish could go a long way towards customer satisfaction if they combed their accounts for opportunities to save folks money due to changes in their offerings and be pro-active in dealing with it.

Maybe scott can clarify the receivers connecting to phone lines deal. Currently, dish has ZERO requirement or fee attached to many of their receivers. I know they want their Dual tuner, dual independent viewing TV's connected. Not sure about dual tuner, single viewing tv's.

With the change in February, are they driving to have every tuner hooked to a phone line or broadband?

Sure sounds like it with many looking at their bills mistakes will be found. and shopping around for better deals too.

E may not be happy since everyone is offering teaser rates for 2 year contracts.

So long time sub gets new simplified bill that went up. Many may not call E but just sign a contract at a teaser rate with someone else, then call to cancel once the new provider is in place.

E has no recovery of sub they are a certain churn since they signed a contract with someone else.

Frankly I dont like contracts, teaser rates, extraoridnary fees, buggy software and 20% cost increases. guess I dont like much:(

I just got off the phone with a csr. She said I had been over billed for Platinum HD for 6 months and would get a $10 credit for 6 months. She then proceeded to tell me that Platinum would be reintroduced in Feb, that contradicts what I've read here, so I'm gonna guess there's some confusion on her side. If my bill still looks whacky next month, I may oversimplify my programming or go straight hd. I also saw a solo dvr fee for $5 which I guess was for a 510 that I just changed to a 211k. I now have a 622 and 2 211ks on the EA. I may have to check out the Netflix stream vs Movie channels.