Prima Cinema, the ‘Private Jet’ of Home Theater Viewing, Roars into 3D

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I would so own this if I could afford it...

That’s also part of the premise behind Prima Cinema, an exclusive movie server that delivers current commercial cinema releases into your home while they’re still in the theater. We’ve written about Prima before, but this week seems like a particularly good time for a refresher, seeing as how they’re upping the video ante with their first 3D release, the aforementioned ‘Jurassic Park 3D’ that stomps into theaters April 5.

Let’s get the cost out of the way first: a Prima Cinema server (or Prima Movie Player, PMP) runs $35,000 and then after that each movie rental is $500 a pop (3D films reportedly will cost an extra $100). So keep in mind that this is a product for the elite (Prima even calls owners of its product “Members” to foster that feeling of exclusivity) whose home theaters are more likely to be of the variety that win in our annual Home of the Year Awards Best Home Theater $150,000+ category and even then go way beyond that minimum and into the “movie palace” territory.

Link

But if you are an A list celebrity, it may be the only way you can see a first run movie without hassle. Sounds like the right product at the right price point. We just aren't the market.

I still like going to certain theaters with huge screens. And, yes I tend to sit up close so that the screen nearly fills my whole field of vision. I usually sit about 1/3 back in the theater. I just do not see having a screen big enough in a house.

I still like going to certain theaters with huge screens. And, yes I tend to sit up close so that the screen nearly fills my whole field of vision. I usually sit about 1/3 back in the theater. I just do not see having a screen big enough in a house.

Depends on how close you sit. I find that a 120" 16:9 screen viewed at 10-11' works well for me. The screen edges are right out to my peripheral vision and I don't have to turn my head to see action at the edges. Others find 10' to be too close. It helps a lot that my screen wall and ceiling is painted dark indigo which avoids reflections and distractions.

I am happy to make any compromises on screen size against ringing cell phones, screaming babies, people talking, inferior audio, etc, etc. I have been to exactly 4 movies since I installed the theater in fall of 2010 and I regretted 2 of those times.

I'd pay 50-100$ for a first run movie, but never 500$ which is a hell of a markup from a 10$ movie ticket and 2) my GF would shoot me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts