Primestar salvage

Status
Please reply by conversation.

searay43

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Republic, Washington
A friend of mine was clearing brush for the forest service up in the hills around here and stumbled on to this primestar dish. He has seen all my 36 inch dishes and says that this is bigger, so I'm assuming that this might be a 4ft dish. I have never seen a bracket like that before to hold a LNB or for that matter I have never seen a LNB like that before. He would like me to get him set up with this as I have a spare Merc 2 he can use. I have ask him to send me more shots of the dish, do any of you primestar experts know anything about this dish?

Attachments

• !cid__Photo-0027.jpg
    !cid__Photo-0027.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 267
  • !cid__Photo-0028.jpg
    !cid__Photo-0028.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 243
Looks like a 1.2

That's a 1.2m (4ft) Primestar/Channelmaster. Those are by far the best ku dish around. Some have even picked up a fair amount of C-band with 'em too. Great find.... I have 2 of them up and in use. Set your friend up with a 36 and talk him out of that one! J/K :D Oh... and those Primestar H/V LNBs work great too!

That's a 1.2m (4ft) Primestar/Channelmaster. Those are by far the best ku dish around. Some have even picked up a fair amount of C-band with 'em too. Great find.... I have 2 of them up and in use. Set your friend up with a 36 and talk him out of that one! J/K :D Oh... and those Primestar H/V LNBs work great too!

Thanks for the reply, LOL I didn't think about swapping him one of my dishes. :) This dish will be stationary so is it pretty straight forward as far as setting it up? I haven't seen the dish up close so I'm not sure how the mounting braket will work. Thanks again.

Get him to look at the back of the dish, there will be a "MOLD#" stamped on it somewhere, that will tell you exactly what size it is. Those bigger ones used a big pole, 2 7/8" or 3" I think, the mount is visibly larger than the 1m size dish/mount. Nice find!! Would love to find one of them hidden in the the brush someplace.

Get him to look at the back of the dish, there will be a "MOLD#" stamped on it somewhere, that will tell you exactly what size it is. Those bigger ones used a big pole, 2 7/8" or 3" I think, the mount is visibly larger than the 1m size dish/mount. Nice find!! Would love to find one of them hidden in the the brush someplace.

Thanks turbosat, I've never worked with a primestar dish before so this will be a learning experience for me. My friend is pretty excited about getting into this hobby so he's off to a good start. :D Have a great day.

Last edited:
That's a 1.2m (4ft) Primestar/Channelmaster.
Those are by far the best ku dish around.
Great find.... Set your friend up with a 36 and talk him out of that one! J/K :D
Oh... and those Primestar H/V LNBs work great too!
Set your friend up with a 36 and talk him out of that one! ... and I'm NOT kidding! - :eek:
He's the beginner; you're the seasoned vet.
You'll deal with the larger, more troublesome dish. :cool:
The 90cm can be easily slung on a modest motor for your buddy.
This'll take a seriously big motor and some bracket work to fling around.
Spare your friend the pain 'n suffering! - :up
. . and if you're giving him a Merc II, it's only fair.

All you need for the existing LNB is a 2x4 multiswitch or better.
The LNB is missing the cover, but that's not critical.
I'm sure someone here knows a surplus outfit with spare parts.

The best dish around! I got two of them. Channel Master made quality dish. If I come across any more around where I live, I'm gonna get them!
I never tried any of those LNBFs that comes with the dish. I got a few of them lying around.

Set your friend up with a 36 and talk him out of that one! ... and I'm NOT kidding! - :eek:
He's the beginner; you're the seasoned vet.
You'll deal with the larger, more troublesome dish. :cool:
The 90cm can be easily slung on a modest motor for your buddy.
This'll take a seriously big motor and some bracket work to fling around.
Spare your friend the pain 'n suffering! - :up
. . and if you're giving him a Merc II, it's only fair.

All you need for the existing LNB is a 2x4 multiswitch or better.
The LNB is missing the cover, but that's not critical.
I'm sure someone here knows a surplus outfit with spare parts.

LOL, I already made the mistake of telling him what a good find he made. I don't think he will part with it easily. :) Maybe if I lay a guilt trip on him he will part with it. :D

And really, neither of you need the grief. I will drive up 97 and take it off your hands. I will suffer through the pain of getting it working instead of you!

Beautiful find!

POP

LOL, your welcome to drive up 97 and watch tv with us when we get it up and working. It's a nice drive this time of year, :D

The elevation markings on these, are spot-on accurate to the degree.
They are very easy to set up. :)

So true. Best AZ-EL mount out there. Even though the dish is quite heavy, its a breeze to adjust the elevation... All you need is to loosen the side bolts and turn the top bolt with a socket wrench. Great dish system. I have the 1 meter model fixed on AMC-21 for the PBS.

As for the LNB, the feedhorn is a standard C-120, so if you must replace the original LNB, just bolt a stacked Superdish FSS LNB right onto the original feedhorn!

I never tried any of those LNBFs that comes with the dish. I got a few of them lying around.

The factory NJR LNB and feedhorn works great. The feedhorn is tuned to the dish. I have been using mine since I put it up and it does wonders. :)

This is probably a dumb question but can I hook my sat meter up to either input on the factory LNB that came with this dish. :confused: I ordered a multi switch today so hopefully in the next week or two I can get up to his property and get him going.

the 1m and 1.2 m should require a 2 7/8" pole. the primestar j pole is huge with 2 support legs.

crackt out,.

2 3/8" on my Channel Master 1 meter (same dish Primestar used) as well, but I've seen that dish with a 3" AZ-EL mount... I believe all of the 1.2 meter Channel Master dishes had the 3" mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Telemundo on 79 W

Geosatpro DSR-200c question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)