Printing from iPad to network printer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Well I was shocked to find such a basic feature missing. I want to print to a printer on my network over my wifi connection from our new 3rd gen iPad. Actually I have two wireless setups, FiOS and Apple Airport Extreme. I can print to a USB printer connected to the AAE but I don't have one and don't want one. I have a network printer with wireless capability but I use the wired option.

I see apps for the purpose from $4 to $9 and I think there are even more expensive ones. Which ones do folks here recommend? And even more important - which do you suggest avoiding?

As with most things ipad, the power is in the apps, not the ipad itself.

I've been using Printer Pro, available in the itunes app store. The printer must be connected to your lan with an IP. I don't believe it supports shared printers on a computer connected by USB or P-port. Not sure about the USB on the Airport router. If the router assigns the printer an IP then it should work. Once installed any major app will allow you to print your document or photo to the printer. images, photos, web pages, e-mail, pdf files docs etc. Pretty universal. Like if I am surfing the web and find a coupon that needs printing or order something online and need to print a copy of my order, I can send the page to the printer and it prints.

Last edited:
Im not sure which printer you have, but both HP and Canon have free ipad utilities for their wifi printers.

This morning I decided to see if the printers can be run from a computer to print an ipad document and it can. With Printer Pro you have to install an ap to set up the desktop connected printers, either Mac or PC. Once done the printer can be used from a desktop connected printer.

Didn't know about the Brother app. I checked it out, thanks for the tip on this. It seems to work great for printing images and has a scanner feature too. Nice! To do other documents, you use the clipboard. And for web stuff you first open The Brother app and then you cab open Safari inside the Brother app. This is an excellent app fopr Brother and it is free. It works with both my inkjet and color laser Brother MFC printers.

Epson also has a free app. The HP app is rated low on iTunes. But I have HP, Canon and Epson printers, all networked, that I need to print to. Might be best to go with one app that will do them all, even if paid for, from both iPhone and iPad.

Just a side note- I had to return a MFP that had an interesting USB port. It could print to the port, but not accept input (camera cable, media), per the manual.

Great info guys!I'll have to check and see if any of those are compatible with the kindle fire.Wife would enjoy being able to print from it.

I have a friend with an old HP 3210 Printer and wants to find a way to print from her ipad2 if possible.

Obviously this is not a e friendly printer she has, but it was a high end one in it's day (probably 4-5 years old).

Does anyone have an app or other option for her.

She is ok with the Mac book pro, but not great.

Again- Printer Pro app but your friend will need to install the printer pro app on the computer and list the printer, then it will show up in the app for ipad2. Doesn't matter how the 3210 is connected to the computer. You can download a free trial to test everything before buying.

Again- Printer Pro app but your friend will need to install the printer pro app on the computer and list the printer, then it will show up in the app for ipad2. Doesn't matter how the 3210 is connected to the computer. You can download a free trial to test everything before buying.

Thanks Don ...

I'll let her know.

Well, gee. Printer Pro is nice. At least for the first page printed. Networked, wired connection printer. HP 8500 MFP. I bought the iPhone app AND the iPad app. I'm getting, after the first or so printings, "the printer is not available" or some such, or "there is no Airport printer" or some such. Maybe I can do research tomorrow. And try it out at work. Anybody know anything about this, please let me know. SWMBO was happy, briefly. Now, I feel like that couple and their home defense panther. Not that I watch any commercials. ;)

After some research, and finally resorting to RTFM carefully, I discovered my problem was the iPhone/iPad to chair interlink. :eek:

Printer Pro just doesn't work quite like I thought, and there are some built in PRINT commands from Apple that just look for AirPrint printers. Bad to confuse the two. Better to just learn how to do it right. Few apps support the Print To, Printer Pro or Open In options, so it's just easiest to copy to the clipboard and print from there. An extra step, but an easy one. Of course, printing Contacts or Photos is a snap. Doesn't seem to be a way of telling the printer to print double sided, though. Tomorrow I will set up some office networked printers on my iPhone. I don't need an AirPrint printer, or a PC running with a printer. It prints just fine directly to my networked printers.

And what a Fine Manual it is. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)