Priorities for next E* enhancement

Which of the below enhancements should DISH release next?

• Add the RSNs

Votes: 75 21.7%
  • Add Cinemax HD

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Activate Movies on Demand thru the Ethernet port

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • Let the Ethernet connection replace the phone line for all functions

Votes: 32 9.3%
  • Release a "whole house" DVR

Votes: 43 12.5%
  • Activate external storage via the USB

Votes: 98 28.4%
  • Release a switch capable of receiving 5 satellites

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 37 10.7%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
There are several irons in the fire. Which is more important to us?

What do you think is the most important enhancement DISH could make? What should DISH release next?

That was quick. As soon as I posted the topic, your replies were there. Did you even see the poll options when you posted? Maybe the first post appears before filling out the poll options is complete.

Anyway, DISH does not develop the MPEG-4 encoders. They are the products of other companies.

On edit: My question in this post was answered. Apparently the post #1 comes out while I'm filling in the poll options, so people see #1 without the poll questions posted yet.

I should have included local weather on the 8s. Oh well, that can come under "something else."

How about this: "E" should complete past promises before starting new li..opps...I mean promises. Someone should start a sticky called "List of Dish's Promises". We'll gladly check them off as they're completed.:)

I vote for USB storage, but would like to see true VOD through the ethernet with FREE and HD options!!!!

RSN in HD is huge for me. It's rediculous that they can't get this done. Even if they only broadcast the pro sports games (MLB, NHL, and NBA) on a separte event channel for each RSN. D* has it in most cases and cable definately has it so get in the game on this dish.

Ethernet instead of phone would be nice (and save me $5/month) since i'm a cell only house and spending $60 for a free VOIP generic box is a full year of charges so that doesn't make sense to me either.

I see a lot of people want a "whole House" DVR. I'm not sure how that's different than the 622. Since a whole house distribution system is coax then it can't be HD. Are you talking about a 3 or 4 tuner DVR that can modulate to more than 2 RF channels?

A whole house system could be designed over wireless or wired networks, no?

I think all the above options sound good to me and Dish ought to accomplish them one by one. TRue video on demand over the internet would be great and would put them up there with Cable vod. External hard drive options would be great as well and we wouldn't have to keep upgrading to a new receiver to get more hard drive space. A whole house dvr like I read Directv was supposed to do , sounds like a great solution to the stacking issues and would require less receivers . BUt knowing Dish they would find a way to add additional tuner fees that would make this whole house dvr useless to most . I still like the idea though.

Wouldn't it be nice if they started VOD over the internet? Then if you had a broadband connection, they would remove the part of the HD reserved for their current VOD, greatly increasing your recordable space? That would make for a lot of happy customers.

I would have selected four or five choices if the poll had let me.

I see a lot of people want a "whole House" DVR. I'm not sure how that's different than the 622. Since a whole house distribution system is coax then it can't be HD. Are you talking about a 3 or 4 tuner DVR that can modulate to more than 2 RF channels?

The one big thing about a whole house DVR that I would look forward to is a common group of DVR recordings, all of which can be viewed on any TV in the house.

Dish could do this with one big "Super622" (a 1244?) with 5-6 tuners and multiple hard drives, or if they could pool two or more DVRs, via Ethernet or coax, that would also increase storage space and the number of available tuners.

I have a whole house DVR by using 2 622s and outputting via coax both 622s to all the TVs in the house (on different channels). This allows me to watch everything on either 622 on any TV in the house.

Practically "whole house" system already exist - HTPC; we need to have only a Dish DVB-S PCI cards with a smart cards. Same boards as Dish made with BroadLogic a few years ago.
Then we will have enough power and storage and outputs for many TVs as we wish. Not need to reinvent wheel.

Found old thred here : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25791
Oh man ! It was in 1997 !!! Blast from the past. :(

Last edited:
First, see to it that current and future HD isn't diluted, degraded, and otherwise sacrificed in quality for more channels. Just look at StarzHD. If this is Charlie's idea of what should be offered in the future I won't be interested in recording to an external drive or whole house DVR, or subscribing to CinemaxHD - instead, I'll be discontinuing my service.

Dan

I checked the USB external drive feature because what I really want most wasn't in the list -- HD locals. That's right, I really just want to be able to receive my HD locals via satellite because OTA is not feasible -- distance and hills. But...

Dish is so absorbed trying to minimize the losses, when Charlie tried to play hardball with Rupert and lost over the distant networks fiasco, that they put on hold the HD locals that were planned for deployment in 2006 :(

Talon Dancer

NHL CI free preview??

Going on 3rd 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)