Priority of teams in your city/region

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
I just saw a poll on a Boston website to vote for your favorite local pro team. The results were what I always thought they would be.

My question on this has one caveat: IF EVERY TEAM IN YOUR CITY/REGION WAS CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER, WHAT WOULD THE ORDER OF POPULARITY BE?

BOSTON

1. Red Sox- Far and away

2. Bruins- Surprise! When I was a kid in the 70's they were #1 in this town. And also, the most popular college sport in the area is hockey.

3. Patriots- were dead last forever, but climbed out of the basement this decade.

4. Celtics- Ironic, by far the most successful franchise in New England, but someone's gotta be last. When they were on their championship run in the 60's, they had trouble selling out. They're very popular now, it's just everything being equal I think they finish fourth.

(BTW, that poll on the NESN website had the above order.........and the Bruins are far from championship caliber).

My personal order of preference:
1. Red Sox
2. Patriots
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

Now the fun part :D, I'm gonna guess what I think would be the order for other cities/regions. Posters like Jimbo, HD MM, Sandra, et al, please let me know if I'm right with this. And I'd love to hear your own opinion on your teams. (Again, this is everything being equal, not necessarily how your teams are at this moment)

Detroit

1. Red Wings- I get the feeling that this isn't even close

2. Tigers- Just from this site I sense a rabid fanbase

3. Lions- I'm probably wrong with this one........it's just a hunch

4. Pistons- Still popular, but like Boston, someone has to be last

Cleveland

1. Browns- One again, I feel like this isn't even close.

2. Indians

3. Cavaliers

New York City

1. Yankees- I could be wrong, but I don't feel like this #1 is as cut and dry as the others above.

2. Giants- I get the sense this is more like a 1B.

3. Rangers

4. Mets

5. Jets

6. Knicks

7. Devils

8. Nets

9. Islanders

Most of my Family and people I know(and myself), I would rank it.

1a. Patriots
1b. Red Sox
3. Celtics
4. Bruins

That's what makes this interesting- there's no right or wrong answer- just your personal preference.

FWIW, here's the NESN poll (the Patriots have caught up to the Bruins.....and the Revs got a few votes :D)

What is your favorite Boston sports team?

Red Sox (71.6%)

Bruins (11.8%)

Celtics (3.6%)

Patriots (11.8%)

Revolution (1.3%)

Detroit

1. Red Wings- hockey is The Sport north of the Mason-Dixon line
2. Tigers- rabid fan here
4a. Pistons- basketball is just slightly more interesting that bowling, but the Pistons are successful
4b. Lions- you can't argue with how the William Clay Ford family has destroyed a once proud organization. Watching the Lions is like making a weekly visit to the dentist...but you do it anyway.

Bill,
Me not being from NY, but I would think that YES the Yankees WOULD be head and shoulders above all the rest in the NY area.
Even when the Giant won the SB, I still think over all it's the Yankees by a long shot.

As far as Detroit goes, in MY opinion:

Hockey is always top.

Tigers would be second, Detroit is a very strong baseball town as well as hockey, it just takes an interesting team to get them going, for years they were not even close to interesting.
Just look at the way it was when they were in the playoffs and WS a few years back.

Then as far as I am concerned, it's the Lions, but that is not the overall choice I think.
I took the Lions only because I really don't follow basketball at all.
If you ask someone in Detroit that does follow them all, I would imagine that the Pistons would be ahead of the Lions.
The Pistons continue to be very good year in and year out.

This is just my opinion.
Paul and the others may be different.

Jimbo

Cincinnaiti

1. Reds
2. Bearcats
3. Xavier
4. Moeller High School
5. Bengals

Yeah I know we were talking professional teams here, but that's how far down the line they are right now.

Detroit

1. Tigers

2. Wings

3. Pistons

4. Lions

You got to look at it in terms of attendance, thats why they are better than the Wings.

As far as the lions, they have a good turn out but people are tired of seeing them loose!

Cincinnaiti

1. Reds
2. Bearcats
3. Xavier
4. Moeller High School
5. Bengals

Yeah I know we were talking professional teams here, but that's how far down the line they are right now.

As for Cincy, Yes the REDS have always been my favorites down your way.

As for Moeller, My HS has played them from time to time, usually very unsuccessfully :(
That would be : Toledo Whitmer, You may or may not remember them ...

I remember watching them play at Dayton's Welcome stadium I think it was.
It looked like the they were playing the Patriots, Moeller was sooooooo good back then (These were the Gary Foust days, back in the late 70's).

It was like Moeller was running our plays before were did , it was that bad, if our guy went to the locker room, your guy went with him.

Jimbo

Detroit

You got to look at it in terms of attendance, thats why they are better than the Wings.

Your saying that the attendance at the Wings games are less than the Tigers ????
Until THIS year, or better yet, the Red Wings SOLD OUT EVERY game from '95 when Lindstrom came a regular till last year, how do you figure that the Tigers were better as far as attendance ?

Jimbo

Well...I will give my insight on a couple of cities I have lived in:

In my years in Chicago:

1) Da Bears!
2) Da Cubs
3) Da Bulls
4) Da Blackhawks
4a) Da Sox

In my years in Miami:

1) The Dolphins....BY A MILE
2) The Miami Hurricanes football team
3) The Heat
4) The Marlins
5) The Panthers

Kansas City:
1. Chiefs
2. Missouri Tigers football
3. Royals
4. Missouri Tigers basketball
5. Brigade
6. Wizards
10000. Watching paint dry
1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Kansas Jayhawks

Atlanta

1) UGA
2) Braves
3) Falcons
4) GT
5) Hawks
6) Thrashers

Dallas

1) Cowboys
2) Mavs
3) UT/T A&M
4) Rangers
5) Stars

Cleveland

1. Browns- One again, I feel like this isn't even close.

2. Indians

3. Cavaliers

As skihi said, you are absolutely right with this order. This city is a Football town first. Always has and always will be. The Browns difference in popularity between the Indians and Cavs arn't even close.

This order is also my personal ranking order, but my love for the Indians is actually very close to that of the Browns.

In my sports heart, I'd have to divide my personal love to the Cleveland Sports teams as follows:

Browns: 50%
Indians: 45%
Cavs: 5%

Detroit

As far as the lions, they have a good turn out but people are tired of seeing them loose!

I understand that, but hypothetically if the Lions (as well as all your teams) were championship caliber, where would they rank? Again, it's the everything being equal thing.

In my years in Chicago:

1) Da Bears!
2) Da Cubs
3) Da Bulls
4) Da Blackhawks
4a) Da Sox

From afar this is how I would have guessed Chicago, with one exception, I would have thought the Cubs were #1 and Da Bears #2. But you lived there, Salsa, so you certainly know better than me. :)

Kansas City:
1. Chiefs
2. Missouri Tigers football
3. Royals
4. Missouri Tigers basketball
5. Brigade
6. Wizards
10000. Watching paint dry
1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Kansas Jayhawks

Now that's funny! :haha:haha:haha

Bill,
Me not being from NY, but I would think that YES the Yankees WOULD be head and shoulders above all the rest in the NY area.
Even when the Giant won the SB, I still think over all it's the Yankees by a long shot.Jimbo

Jimbo,
You're probably right. I think part of the reason I felt this way is because every sport in NYC has a least two teams (hockey has 3), therefore I thought maybe the ratio of Yankee fans vs. the other area teams might be less. Of course , the New York metropolitan area is so vast it can handle all these teams and then some. I'm looking forward to Sandra and other NYC area fans take on the ranking of these teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts