Problem after "moving"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wpark2419

Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
Because of the loss of my local fox station, and the fact that it could be a while before it comes back, I called directv and "moved" just outside of LA a couple days ago. I now have all LA based local channels. My problem is this...I click on the CW channel (KTLA channel 5) and it says "(Name of show) is blacked out on this channel" then it says it's searching for a different channel I can watch this program on... but it finds none. All I can find online is that there was a contract dispute between directv and the owner of CW LA in early April but it only lasted 4 days and the channels were returned. Anyone know why this is happening? I don't want to call directv in case they want to send someone out to fix it, but I would like to have all my channels working.

yup the Big 4 are CONUS (whole US) but the rest are spotbemed

Why didnt you move closer to your location?

yup the Big 4 are CONUS (whole US) but the rest are spotbemed

Why didnt you move closer to your location?

Probably because that would have been the intelligent thing to do lol. I had no idea I wouldn't be able to get certain channels. I don't know how all that stuff works and I wanted fox back. Guess in a couple weeks I'll move back and deal without fox until they get everything worked out. Thanks for the help everyone!

Why don't you "move" to a DMA near you with FOX? Do some research, maybe a neighboring market has another channel that you don't have (like a CW HD, My, etc).

Nope, can't seem to get fox OR cw ota. Any idea how close I have to be to get cw channel? If I "move" closer to home how close do I have to be? I'm in a pretty rural area and I'm not sure if I could get close enough to get fox from a different station but also still get cw.

Boise has both ;)

KBOI 2 CBS
CW 3 CW
KAID 4 PBS
KIVI 6 ABC
KTVB 7 NBC
KNIN 9 FOX
KTRV 12 IND
KKJB 39 MUNDOFOX

check signal on 103 spotbeam (103s) transponder 15 & 23

I'm confused. Exactly how does one "move" to another location without actually being there? Do you make up some phony address in another city? What happens with your billing? Also, if you have either a phone line or ethernet hooked up to your receiver, aren't they going to know you're not exactly at that location? Somebody please enlighten me.

Do you make up some phony address in another city?
the address has to be legit...sort of
The address has to at least pull up on the USPS site. Some folks add an apt 1 to the address. Some tweak the address. The address just cant have a Directv account already

What happens with your billing?
stays the same as what you want it to be

Also, if you have either a phone line or ethernet hooked up to your receiver, aren't they going to know you're not exactly at that location?
as long as you're not in Canada or Mexico they don't care. I've moved 6 times (twice back home for upgrades) and have the same ethernet hooked up

I know in the past ( 10 yrs ago) they went by the billing address on your credit card . I know this because I had DTV at my House in MA, and also carried a box with me in my rig and used it when I was at the house in FL. One day I got a call from DTV confirming my FL address on the credit card ,I thought nothing of it. About 2 days later my SO called me because she lost all the local Boston channels at the house in MA . It took some fancy talking on my part to convince the CSR that the address on the account was the proper address and to get the local Boston channels turned back on. I had the FL locals OTA ,and didn't care about locals when I was on the road.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)