Problem Purchasing DirecTV On-Demand Programming with Ethernet Connected DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steamboatmate

Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Chicago
I've been looking for a post / thread on DirecTV's admitted technical limitation where some ethernet connected (with no phone link) DVR's cannot purchase On-Demand Movies. They can be ordered and downloaded but not viewed. Many hours on the phone with DirecTV has uncovered that it is a known technical issue. However, it has taken a lot of prying to uncover an admittance that they cannot deliver what they have advertised. They will NOT REPLACE my DVR and have amazingly stated that if they agreed to send a new device the replacement DVR may have the same problem. They call it "device has not called in to DirecTV". Any comments or insights??

Thanks, Steamboatmate

You should be fine, when you call ask for on line connections tech and they should be able to set up your account to communicate with them over the net. It doesn't always happe automatically.

DirecTV admits – Receiver Cannot Deliver what they Advertise

Thanks for getting back with me. I am a technical lightweight and thought you folks would have some guidance for me. Now, that I’ve uncovered a shortfall in the DirecTV service offering I think it best to share it with you.

After far too many calls and attempts to escalate my issue, DirecTV has admitted to me that our receiver is incapable of allowing us to download and watch On-Demand Content.
We are able to order and download content but we cannot view it. This has something to do with our device not being able to “Call Back” to DirecTV on our Ethernet connection. If our receiver is hooked up to a land phone line it will work (so they have told me). I let it be known that I was not happy that I purchased networking hardware to connect to them over the Internet and the service they advertise is not available because of my Receiver. I told them a good resolution would be for them to send me a new receiver that does function as advertised. I was told they could not do that so I escalated to a MANAGER in Customer Service who is available only through a call back by them. We did receiver the MANAGER Call Back to my home number even though I requested I be contacted on my cell phone (so I would not miss his call). My wife happened to be home that day and he told her the problem we are experiencing is a known issue and he said NO to sending us a new receiver. He admitted they could wind up sending us a receiver that has the same problem as the one we have. That, tells me they do not know the root cause of the problem (or all of the devices are incapable of functioning as advertised). Having said that the MANAGER said they are working on a software fix and we should expect the problem to be resolved within the month. How long has DirecTV been offering this service?

Anyway, I thought the folks who read this message board should know what I’ve been told. I’ll keep you posted if I decide to ride this train any longer. I’ve been a DirecTV customer since they test marketed the service in Little Rock, Arkansas but I may have lost my patience with them given the “Run Around” I’ve received on this issue and their EVER INCREASING PRICES !!!

There are a whole lot of subscribers that are using DoD right now and for quite a long time, as harshness pointed out. So, why your receiver isn't working correctly is a mystery. I have the HR23-700 and an HR20-100 that work for DoD. However, I do have a phone line connected to them, if that makes any difference. Maybe, I'll disconnect the phone line and see what happens. :)

Did you do the network test? What were the results?
Does the system information screen show a network connection? What about the internet?

My HR20 DOD works fine without a phone line connected.

Apparently this isn't true - all of the devices are incapable of functioning as advertised.

Thanks for the comments. jdspenser, one of the techs at DirecTV said I could connect a phone line (so that a call back can be made) and my problems would be eliminated. They went on to furhter say that even if the phone line is disconnected it might work for a while but it is likely to begin failing again. Yorktown, I have a HR23-700 so I wonder if it is all the HR23-700 are experiencing this problem (and not the HR20 model that you have). Anyone out there have the HR23 model currently connected (ethernet only) and able to view on Demand Movies?

Hi Steamboatmate:

We are having the same exact issue with the same model HD/DVR connect via ethernet only. We got our HD/DVR in November 2009, but only discovered the issue now because we hadn't attempted to purchase an on-demand movie prior to this. When did you get your receiver? I am wondering if there is a problem only with a specific "batch" of receivers manufactured at some point.

But more importantly, did you ever get the issue resolved? We are having the same run around with DirecTv. The issue has been "elevated" but they have not been able to fix it yet. No one I have talked to has acknowledged that this is a known problem.

Hope to hear more about your experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts