Problem setting up UHF remote on 512

raysmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
Batavia, Illinois
I recently had my 508 receiver replaced with a 512. I got It all hooked up and it is working, but I can’t get the UHF remote to work. The IR remote works fine but not the UHF. I think the receiver is not being set up right. I will probably call DISH later tonight, but thought I’d check with the experts here first. This is important for me as the receiver is in the basement and is being sent out through a distribution system in the house. So the receiver is useless without the UHF remote capability.

I have enabled the UHF remote setting in the receiver (Menu-6-1-6-Enable), but when I go to the System Info page, it only shows the code for an IR remote, but no mention of a UHF remote. The manual for the 512 says after enabling the UHF Remote there should be some indication of this (Page34):

Make sure the System Information screen shows that the Primary Remote Address indicates UHF Pro and IR, and that this address matches the number that you wrote down in step b.

So there seems to be a problem here. On my 722 there is a separate panel on the System Information page for the UHF Pro remote, as the code for the IR interface can be different from the UHF interface. The manual for the 512 seems to indicate the IR and UHF both use the same code, which is fine, but I would expect that panel to say “UHF Pro and IR”, not just “IR”.

I’ve tried several codes with my UHF remote, but nothing seems to make it work. Since the sysInfo page shows no mention of UHF remote – my assumption is the problem is in the receiver.

My questions are:

1. On a 512 receiver, if the UHF Pro remote is enabled, how is it indicated on the System Information screen?
2. Since I am not seeing that – should I assume I have some sort of problem with the receiver?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide. Satelliteguys.us is a great resource, which is why I wanted to check here first!

Ray

The 512 does support UHF for for the remote. Do you have the silver antenna on the back of the receiver?
If so, you will need to use the IR remote to set this up.

Go to Menu > 6 > 1 > 6 (UHF Pro Set up)
Highlight and select on enable.
Highlight and select on system info
press the up arrow to move the orange highlight to REM addr
Use the UHF remote - Press Sat then record.
You should see the IR change to IR/UHF

Thanks Jason. I called Dish this evening and we discovered that the problem was that I was using a UHF remote with a key marked with a blue "2", but the 512 doesn't support a second remote that way. I had another remote I had used for my 508 and flipped the key around so a silver "UHF Pro" was showing and that fixed it. I was able to use the FM remote.

Ray

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts