Problem setting up VOD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

muskyj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
I am having a problem trying to setup VOD hopefully someone can provide some assistance.

I have a DSL connection with a 2Wire Modem/Router, which has only one ethernet port. So I purchased a Actiontec HPE400T 4 port home wire hub and three home wire ethernet adapters from directv.

The problem I'm having is as soon as I connect the ethernet adapter to the hub I lose my internet connection. When I log into the 2Wire it shows the DVR in the Home Network and the DVR shows that its networked, but I can't connect to the internet when the adapter is plugged into the router.

Would anybody know what I need to do to resolve this conflict.

Thanks

Vod

Not much on networking but may be IP address problem
Directv receiver and modem may have same IP.
shut down & unplug everything.
Start at router and work backwards on reseting components.
If that doesn't work try setting receiver IP address.

Doctor j

You have the directv ethernet powerline adapters hooked to the hub, which is hooked to the router/modem (called a gateway)?

So your computer is now also plugged in the hub, correct?

If so, that should work. Do you have a surge protector on the ethernet adapter, or straight to the wall? Sometimes surge protectors can mess those up.

No surge protector have it plug right to the outlet.

I don't think its the IP address because if I don't have the adapter connected to the DVR as soon as I connect the adapter for the PC into the hub I lose the internet. And if I disconnect the adapter from the hub I have the internet again.

I plugged everything together and powered off then on the 2Wire still no luck. The Router Modem connects without the Home plug attached but not attached.

What kind of switch would I need to work with home plug.

Thanks

Are you sure your modem is a router as well? Most routers have multiple ethernet ports on them. If yours only has one ethernet port then it sounds like it is just a modem and not a modem/router. This could be your problem.

Someone with better networking knowledge than mine might be able to answer this better or set me straight but I thought a router allows for multiple items to be used simultaneously from a single modem source as well as cross talk between units. While a hub just allows multiple items to be networked together but they can not share the same modem source at the same time.

Not sure if that is it or not but as I said maybe your problem is the modem is not a router.

I just hope that "beta" is the key word here. If this is Direct's answer to Comcast's demand package-it's embarassing. I have friends that have Comcast, and they have a ton of free movies(not what is already playing on your other channels-extra), actual major sports games, etc. So for those of you that can't get it to work yet-your truly not missing anything at all. One more thing. Besides the movies you have to pay for-the movies you get, are what you already have, as far as movie channels. In other words, just use your TIVO, at least it will be in HD.

Some of the newer DSL modems will allow multiple devices to share the internet connection. However as stated before they will unusally have a switch built in ( more than one ethernet connection). Sounds to me like you have a single device configuration since as soon as you connect the second device it kills the connection. This is because you are only allowed to aquire one IP address from your provider.
All is not lost. Go down to your favorite retail store or website and get a broadband router. Linksys is probably the most popular. This will allow you to share multiple devices on the single IP address obtained from your provider. This is called proxy. Connect the broadband router port labled "WAN" to your DSL modem and then connect the devices you want to access the internet to the built in switch ports and everything should be happy. Good Luck. Oh yeah, these routers are also available with a built in Wireless Access Point if you want to go that way.

Thanks everyone the router was the ticket now I'm up and running.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts