Problem with 61.5 Migration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Klecker

Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI DMA
I have learned a ton about E*'s birds and the migration away from 61.5 after finding these forums yesterday, but now I need some advice.

1. An installer who came to my home (Milwaukee, WI DMA) last October said that changes were taking place that would give me more HD channels with my current set-up (61.5/110/119 and a ViP722). Some channels did appear (e.g., History International HD), but then a bunch were "dropped" a couple of weeks ago. I called E* and the second ("advanced") CSR helped me find the some of the missing channels in the 4000s, and she then told me that the channels that had moved would reappear in their original spot soon. This can't be, though, without turning a dish toward 129 or 72.7, correct?

2. The Milwaukee DMA is in a mixed-arc due to local HDs being on 61.5 and SDs on 110. Can I voluntarily give up local SDs to go to an EA solution? My LOS for the WA is partially obstructed by a tree anyway (110 is below avearage and 119 below minimum), and the EA LOS is clear.

3. Is this something that a DIRT member can help with, or will I need to have a CSR start with questions like "Is your television on?" again?

1) The virtual channels will be gone soon, and if you don't do a migration, you won't get them

2) We can look at getting EA installed, it should work fine though

3) DIRT > CSR's. We can do everything and more (and I won't ask you if your TV is on). You just need to PM me a phone number or account number

Last edited:
1) The virtual channels will be gone soon, and if you don't do a migration, you won't get them

2) We can look at getting EA installed, it should work fine though

3) DIRT > CSR's. We can do everything and more (and I won't ask you if your TV is on). You just need to PM me a phone number or account number

PM coming your way Matt, thank you!

Hey guys -
I had virtually the same situation as Klecker. I'm about 30 miles north of Milwaukee. I had a 2-dish setup with one pointing at 110 and 119 and then a smaller dish pointed toward 61.5 for my HD locals (and whatever other channels were on that bird). After several visits by installers and countless phone conversations with reps that began late last year with one of the infamous migration postcards, I now have the small dish re-aimed at 129. While I am supposedly now getting all the HD channels that I should be, my question is this: Will I EVER get my HD locals off the dish (either of them) again? What I mean is, I currently have no problem getting them with my OTA antenna, but it sort of seems like I'm paying for something they're not delivering (HD locals off the dish). I have no line of sight to 72.7 because of a tree. I seem to remember the last installer telling me that is where my HD locals are. Does anyone know if the HD locals for my market will ever be located on a bird that I have a line of sight to (110, 119 or 129)? Thanks in advance for any info!

Milwaukee HD locals come off satellite 61.5, which is what you had before so I'm guessing you have LOS to it. Best setup now would be the WA (110/119/129) with a 61.5 wing dish if possible. This will get you all national channels, and HD locals.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Milwaukee, WI

If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I'll see what can be done
Sounds like the last tech didn't know what he was doing. You should have a 1k2 /w the 61.5 plugged into the switch on it.

Ideally....yes. BUT...every tech that came out told me that my HD locals would soon be moving from 61.5 to 72.7. Nobody seems to know how long they'll remain at 61.5, so that's why I agreed to just let him point that small dish at 129. With the other dish at 110 and 119, I know I'm getting all the channels, and I can live with my HD locals being from my OTA antenna. I just wish someone knew if they would ever be moved to a bird that I actually have a LOS to (110, 119 or 129). My luck will probably be that they'll remain on 61.5 for the next 20 years! If I knew that to be the case, I'd do exactly as you suggest.

Ideally....yes. BUT...every tech that came out told me that my HD locals would soon be moving from 61.5 to 72.7. Nobody seems to know how long they'll remain at 61.5, so that's why I agreed to just let him point that small dish at 129. With the other dish at 110 and 119, I know I'm getting all the channels, and I can live with my HD locals being from my OTA antenna. I just wish someone knew if they would ever be moved to a bird that I actually have a LOS to (110, 119 or 129). My luck will probably be that they'll remain on 61.5 for the next 20 years! If I knew that to be the case, I'd do exactly as you suggest.
It's more likely for them to be moved to 77 when the new sat goes up than 72.7. Right now nearly all EA locals are 61.5 & 77, there are some on 72.7 but not that many.

OK...thanks for the info. I guess what would really be nice is if I could get a solid answer as to what the chances are that they will remain on 61.5 for the forseeable future. If that was the case, I'd just throw up the wing dish pointed at 61.5. So many different opinions makes it tough to choose what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)