Problem with ABC 7 HD in L.A.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Has anyone experienced problems with ABC 7 HD broadcast during the prime time in Los Angeles. I am not using over the air antenna for the HD, the signal is thru the dish. I am a big fan of Lost and Invasion. Every time I watch the show I get green pixels all over the screen mixed with the broadcast picture. The pixels come and go and when they come the interference may stay for about 30 sec. Normally it is bearable, but yesterday it was the worst I saw. The other local HD channels (CBS, FOX and NBC) do not have that problem.

I noticed it also last night at the end of Lost. I get green blocks all over the screen, but the audio is OK. At the very end of the show I heard the gunshot but the picture was broken up. I have a Dish 1000 and VIP622. I was watching the show over sat channel KABC 007-00.

Abc 7 Hd In La

I have been watching ABC 7 HD on a regular basis during the early evening hours (4:00 to 6:30 pm ) ever since Eye Witness News went HD. I do use my own over the air antenna connected to Dish 811. I never noticed any of the problems you have described. (But I have NOT watched LOST or INVASION recently). I live in the San Gabriel valley, about 11 miles from the Mt. Wilson transmitting towers, so the signal level is very good. ABC 7 HD looks good as any 720P signal can be. Seems like Dish is doing something to degrade the signal.

Last edited:
I had the same problem last night with Lost. I "lost" the video for the last few seconds of the program - heard the gunshot but didn't see who got shot. I went to the ABC website this morning and replayed their summary to find out who dunnet.

The Dish ABC signal has had it's problems since I installed my 622. My OTA signal for ABC is very good and I have not seen the same type of breakup that Dish shows.

I had a second problem last night. I lost my two OTA timers that I had set monday for Lost and Invasion. I have heard others complain about losing timers, but this is the first time I had the problem. I believe it was due to setting the timers a day ahead of the programs.

I'll experiment to confirm that was the reason and post what I find.

Also, when ABC news went HD I changed from the NBC news. Great breaking news shots of high speed chases and drive by shootings in vivid HD! Just kidding, but the lady news casters blue eyes look really good. We'll see how long it takes CBS and NBC to make the change. It's had to say how many viewers they are losing by not being HD.

Last edited:
Guys:
I was having the same problem with the ABC HD out of Philly.

Turns out that since I had my 622 set to 1080i for HD and the ABC channel was being sent to DISH at 720 (engineers confirmed this for me), the 622 was causing artifacts when trying to up-convert the picture.

I bet if you change your HD settings to 720 when watching this channel, you won't see any pixels. Give it a shot. It worked for me.

This might prove the point made in post #5. I recorded Invasion last night. My 622 is currently set up for 1080i. When I play it back and notice the picture breakup, I will switch to 720p and see if the problem still exists.

I have the same problems with all of the HD channels broadcast from 129. I think it is due to the weak signal strength from that bird. I get frequent pixelation and occasional picture drop. I have not noticed any difference between 1080i and 720p. I don't have a 622, just two 211's.

The problem is probably due to low signal from 129 (where all LA area HD LILs live) I get all my OTA Digital / HD from the antenna on my roof, so I usually record the *important* primetime shows using the OTA tuner because the signal on 129 sucks! My OTA signals (OTOH) are almost perfect for every channel. So I mostly sub to DN LILs for the guide data (lame, I wish they'd allow the receiver to pickup the guide data OTA, even if it were only for a few days out).

ABC and FOX broadcast their true HD content at 720p.

psumattDE said:
Guys:
I was having the same problem with the ABC HD out of Philly.

Turns out that since I had my 622 set to 1080i for HD and the ABC channel was being sent to DISH at 720 (engineers confirmed this for me), the 622 was causing artifacts when trying to up-convert the picture.

I bet if you change your HD settings to 720 when watching this channel, you won't see any pixels. Give it a shot. It worked for me.

I check my setup last night and my 622 is set for 720p so that is not the problem. I agree that it must be the 129 sat transmission that is screwing things up.

Another thread said that some local HD is being added to the 110 sat - too bad they don't take pity on LA and move us over. I think all the complaints would disappear.

Suppafreak said:
Has anyone experienced problems with ABC 7 HD broadcast during the prime time in Los Angeles. I am not using over the air antenna for the HD, the signal is thru the dish. I am a big fan of Lost and Invasion. Every time I watch the show I get green pixels all over the screen mixed with the broadcast picture. The pixels come and go and when they come the interference may stay for about 30 sec. Normally it is bearable, but yesterday it was the worst I saw. The other local HD channels (CBS, FOX and NBC) do not have that problem.

Also live in SoCal (Anaheim). Have not had your problem with my DISH HD reception. Before I got my 942 (now 622), I used an stb with my roof antenna, and had poor results with ABC. Read on the AVS forums that they were underpowering the transmissions off Mt. Wilson.

Great,

Nice to know I am not alone. I though my receiver might be the problem, but as I mentioned I only see the problem on ABC HD. The other Local HD channels CBS, NBC and FOX do not have any problems. I am in Hollywood. Last time I checked I am about 20 miles from all the towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)