Problem with Dish 322 getting good check sat

robj2018

Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
lake charles
We have a dish 322 dual at a weekend place that we just sold. Left the dish and have the 322 sitting at home. Bought a new dish 500 dpp dual quad lnb. Packaging all looks up opened. I've set up a few of these with no major issues. I know the 322 is fine because I hooked it up the receiver in the house with a 1000.2(I think) and it works fine.

I have the dish mounted to the side of the garage, square both ways. auz, skew, elevation all set as per the screen. Zip 70611 The sky has a clear shot to the dish. All I can get is 119 (signal about 50). When I do a check switch it goes through 38 count). Receiver 1 may go through a 1-2, the other 1-38). On the check switch I get an ok on 119 but nothing on 110. Reading some old posts I put the lnb inside attached to the 322 with a short cable, reads nothing. With the lnb on the sat as mentioned I can get 119. I can watch the 119 channels but it's spotty. It'll work, goes to sleep at night and says no signal in the morning.

The lnb I have now is a quad, ports 1-4. Reading I should only need a single cable from port 1 to the receiver. I have a dpp splitter to the sat in 1 and sat in 2 but am not using it. I also tried the blue splitter on the dish like I have on my 1000.2 sat system.

I went through this before on the same 322 (dish stopped working, tried new lnb only). Fought it for a week and then just ordered a complete dish 500 off ebay (same seller as the current one) and had it going in 5 minutes on both 119 and 110. I don't recall if I had a quad lnb or not. it was the wider one. the current mounting arm as 119 on one side and 110 on the other(embossed in the plastic.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: EchostarFan
Is 119 indicating that you are seeing the 119 sat maybe with the 110 lnb?

If you are seeing 119 with the 110 lnb, try moving the azimuth 8-10 degrees west.

Reactions: EchostarFan
We have a dish 322 dual at a weekend place that we just sold. Left the dish and have the 322 sitting at home. Bought a new dish 500 dpp dual quad lnb. Packaging all looks up opened. I've set up a few of these with no major issues. I know the 322 is fine because I hooked it up the receiver in the house with a 1000.2(I think) and it works fine.

I have the dish mounted to the side of the garage, square both ways. auz, skew, elevation all set as per the screen. Zip 70611 The sky has a clear shot to the dish. All I can get is 119 (signal about 50). When I do a check switch it goes through 38 count). Receiver 1 may go through a 1-2, the other 1-38). On the check switch I get an ok on 119 but nothing on 110. Reading some old posts I put the lnb inside attached to the 322 with a short cable, reads nothing. With the lnb on the sat as mentioned I can get 119. I can watch the 119 channels but it's spotty. It'll work, goes to sleep at night and says no signal in the morning.

The lnb I have now is a quad, ports 1-4. Reading I should only need a single cable from port 1 to the receiver. I have a dpp splitter to the sat in 1 and sat in 2 but am not using it. I also tried the blue splitter on the dish like I have on my 1000.2 sat system.

I went through this before on the same 322 (dish stopped working, tried new lnb only). Fought it for a week and then just ordered a complete dish 500 off ebay (same seller as the current one) and had it going in 5 minutes on both 119 and 110. I don't recall if I had a quad lnb or not. it was the wider one. the current mounting arm as 119 on one side and 110 on the other(embossed in the plastic.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
The axis and elevation numbers you get from the receiver are not necessarily correct. There are tables with the correct number but dishpointer.com will give you the correct numbers for your zip code and dish type. In any rate, these numbers will only get you close and it's easy to be off by one satellite. If you are getting decent signal, move the dish left or right about 10 degrees and see what you get.

The best way to know for sure you are getting 119 on the middle LNB is to cover the other two with foil then move the dish left and right slightly to get a signal then check to see if you are on the 119 satellite. From there, fine tune azimuth and elevation for maximum signal.

Then you can uncover the other two LNBs and check to see if you have signal on 110 and 129. If not, you may need to adjust skew. But loosening the skew bolts often looses all signal until they are retightened. You may also need to go back and peak 119 with azimuth and elevation.

Quad DPP? If you are seeing 1-38 on the Switch Check, that is a DP (Dish Pro) dish, not a DPP (Dish Pro Plus)
The OP said that tuner 1 showed 1-2. Only tuner 2 did 1-38.
Receiver 1 may go through a 1-2, the other 1-38)
I have seen this before, on a ViP722k in my case. Check Switch worked properly on tuner 1, but tuner 2 had a problem. After checking everything else I could think of (changing the cable, connecting to a different port on the LNB, replacing the separator) and nothing helped, I finally did a red-button reset and then ran a check switch again. The check switch worked properly at that point, showing 1-4 on both tuners.

If you pull the cable and put it on input 1 and the check switch runs fine, then on input 2 and you get 1 of 38, it's a receiver issue but you said you're on ports 1 and 4, if I read that right? Isn't 4 an input on a DP Quad?? Try ports 1 and 2

Quad DPP? If you are seeing 1-38 on the Switch Check, that is a DP (Dish Pro) dish, not a DPP (Dish Pro Plus)

according to the ebay seller this is what I got...i'm not at home at the moment

Dish Pro Twin LNB (looks at 110, 119 together or can be used for single orbits like 129, 61.5 etc...)
  • Dish 500 Reflector

The axis and elevation numbers you get from the receiver are not necessarily correct. There are tables with the correct number but dishpointer.com will give you the correct numbers for your zip code and dish type. In any rate, these numbers will only get you close and it's easy to be off by one satellite. If you are getting decent signal, move the dish left or right about 10 degrees and see what you get.

The best way to know for sure you are getting 119 on the middle LNB is to cover the other two with foil then move the dish left and right slightly to get a signal then check to see if you are on the 119 satellite. From there, fine tune azimuth and elevation for maximum signal.

Then you can uncover the other two LNBs and check to see if you have signal on 110 and 129. If not, you may need to adjust skew. But loosening the skew bolts often looses all signal until they are retightened. You may also need to go back and peak 119 with azimuth and elevation.
i'll try that tomorrow thanks for the help!!

You mentioned using one cable. Did you use a separator, splitter, or diplexor?

I think (one of the kids took it apart when we packed) it had a splitter at the 322(the black one...input to sat 1 and sat 2), we are only using a single receiver. I have tried it with and without that splitter. I believe there was only 1 cable coming from the sat.

If you pull the cable and put it on input 1 and the check switch runs fine, then on input 2 and you get 1 of 38, it's a receiver issue but you said you're on ports 1 and 4, if I read that right? Isn't 4 an input on a DP Quad?? Try ports 1 and 2
the lnb has 4 ports 1-4. ive tried 1 and 2. also had the blue splitter and had it on 2 ports with no luck. I can never get a OK on the 110 check switch.

On the screen when it is on 119 below the signal it says 119. I forgot to mention I get a better signal if I change the tuner to 1 instead of 2. not sure what that does.

Should I get an OK on both sats even if the signal from the satellites isn't good? I ran a new cable late this afternoon, i'll hit it again tomorrow. Bummer it takes a while to go through the 1-38 count.

as of this week on the January 20th dish may not allow you to activate that receiver because you may have to upgrade to the hopper or wally class of dish hd family of hd receivers now.

Well the 322 is still working. Our original one from 2001ish got stolen in 2010 and we apparently own this one(what my account says).

Anyway thanks for all the help as this one is in the bag. Turns out the foil trick made me focus on what was not working instead of what was working. I was getting the wrong sat signal. Kept the foil on until I had a good 110. elevation up a bit and more to the south (per dishfinder.com). 119 showed up after a good 110 and the check switch went well. only weird thing was I had the splitter in at the 322 and got both sats on receiver 1 and only 1 sat on receiver 2 and a nice message saying it wasn't going to work like that...period. I removed the splitter and now getting about 70 on 119 and 55 on 110.

Thanks again for the responses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts