Problem with "Format TV" scaling?

sclaws

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Aurora, IL
I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue...my TV overscans more than I'd like, so I was happy to see the Hopper offered image scaling (last receiver was a 722). Problem is when I make adjustments they only affect the Hopper menus and TV guide--scaling for the satellite channels are unchanged. Is this normal for the scaling option?

My TV is an older Toshiba DLP (2004, model TW62HM84) if that helps. Thx for any comments :)

Yes, that's normal. The Hopper scaling option is only to scale the guide and menus. It doesn't affect the channels themselves.

-Todd

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue...my TV overscans more than I'd like, so I was happy to see the Hopper offered image scaling (last receiver was a 722). Problem is when I make adjustments they only affect the Hopper menus and TV guide--scaling for the satellite channels are unchanged. Is this normal for the scaling option?

My TV is an older Toshiba DLP (2004, model TW62HM84) if that helps. Thx for any comments :)

You should be able to use the * button on the remote control to change screen sizes,also you could try Menu/Settings/HD Display.You can change screen sizes there also,16x9/4x3 #1/4x3#2.

Make sure your HDTV screen size is set to Normal on the TV's Menu Settings?.;)

Thx Todd...I thought that was the case.
Jhon69 - good tips but no luck with those. I've always had a bit more overscan than I liked with this TV and was hoping this setting in the Hopper would be a way to compensate...but its not to be :)

Thx Todd...I thought that was the case.
Jhon69 - good tips but no luck with those. I've always had a bit more overscan than I liked with this TV and was hoping this setting in the Hopper would be a way to compensate...but its not to be :)

If no luck with those suggestions ,suggest you try the normal setting on your DISH receiver and select your different screen settings in your HDTV's Menu.Good Luck!:)

Yes, that's normal. The Hopper scaling option is only to scale the guide and menus. It doesn't affect the channels themselves.

-Todd

Are you sure about that - didn't try the Hopper but on my Joey connected to a 720p TV that always had overscan, I was able to bring the broadcast picture size down to the screen size.

...tried again and no joy. My set is 720p but I watch it in 1080i as it has less overscan at that setting. Just to try it I set to 720p and zoomed-out all the way using scaling, but it still didn't affect my video--just the menus. Oh well--I tried...must be time for a new TV ;)

Adjustments made definitely affected the actual picture on both HD and non-HD channels (not just the guide), for me. I had these 2 glowing dots at the bottom of my picture, adjusted it with the format settings and it worked.

sclkaws - Have you checked all of your TV's picture settings to see if you can reduce the overscan there? My Panasonic plasmas have a choice of two, called HD1 and HD2, iirc.

This is not to be confused with aspect ratio/format settings.

My TV is an older Toshiba DLP (2004, model TW62HM84) if that helps. Thx for any comments :)[/QUOTE

I am trying to determine a solution for your scanning issue. Unfortunately I was unable to locate the specs :reading: on the TV itself from Toshiba's website. I will dig into this further and see what i possible to help resolve this problem. If you'd like drop me a PM, and I'll engage our team to see if they have a solution, too.

I agree with gary, have you have already tried adjusting the picture on the tv itself using the remote that came with the tv.

I have the exact same problem on my Toshiba and have spent a good amount of time trying every available option on both TV and Hopper. Maybe it's a Toshiba thing, not certain, but would love to find a way to see the full screen again.

I have the exact same problem on my Toshiba and have spent a good amount of time trying every available option on both TV and Hopper. Maybe it's a Toshiba thing, not certain, but would love to find a way to see the full screen again.

I also had this problem with an older 50" Toshiba HD TV. It was one of the older ones with no HDMI ports and the set was about a foot thick instead of the super thin ones we have today. The top half of the scoreboard on FS Detroit and other channels that placed them on the top would be cut off. With most general programming you wouldn't even notice.

Thankfully my new LED Toshiba from last winter doesn't have that problem but it seems like most older Toshibas did.

I don't know how Toshiba DLP sets differ from a Pioneer CRT rear projection TV but I had to get into the service menus on my Pioneer to make the adjustments to correct my overscan problems.
Not for the faint-of-heart if you don't have the service manual.

You should be able to use the * button on the remote control to change screen sizes,also you could try Menu/Settings/HD Display.You can change screen sizes there also,16x9/4x3 #1/4x3#2.

Thank you so much, this helped me! I have been looking for a way for months to see the full screen! Now I can actually see the scores of games while watching.

Thank you so much, this helped me! I have been looking for a way for months to see the full screen! Now I can actually see the scores of games while watching.

Your Welcome always trying to help.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)