Problem with HDMI on d* HD-DVR (newbie)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmy2_dtv

Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
(I accidently posted this on the DVR forum. Maybe the HDTV forum is more appropriate. My apologies)

I received my directv HD-DVR yesterday. Install was pretty smooth except the differences between the HDMI and the Component Video display.

The HDMI is a sharper, brighter and very intense but there is a problem with the display. I see lines scrolling up and down the screen on my Toshiba 34 inch. It isn't ghosting but definitely horizontal line shadows across my screen

When I use the component video, the image is nice but not as sharp as the HDMI but it does not have that issue with the horizontal line shadows on the screen.

I've talked to video-philes at my office and one guy tried to convince me that component video is the best I'll ever get and my problem is my cables. (wha???)
I'm using the cable that d* had in the box. I guess I could upgrade but will this solve the problem?

I'm going to have a friend bring over his LCD tv to see if his displays the lines using the HDMI cords. If so, then it is an issue with the D* HD-DVR and not my TV.

The cable included with the HDTivo is decent quality. I doubt that is the problem. Mine works fine. Could be your TV or a bad HDMI on the Tivo.

Whats the problem when its ghosting? Is it the cable.. On occasion on my plasma I see my white ghosting

If it were a ground problem...

... wouldn't it effect the Component Video as well as the HDMI?

The component video does not show the horizontal lines that appear to be shadows on the TV.

jimmy2_dtv said:
... wouldn't it effect the Component Video as well as the HDMI?

The component video does not show the horizontal lines that appear to be shadows on the TV.

Maybe maybe not... I've seen it only happen on one input and not the oter ones.. Is all of your equipement plugged into the same electrical circuit?

The Directv coax where it enters the house should be tied to your house main ground at the electrical box. That is where most of the ground loop problems are.

herdfan said:
There is a good chance it is the HR10-250.

Go here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36 and do a search for HDMI. There have been numerous HDMI problems with the HR10-250.
I agree, but I thought the newer ones were supposed to have that problem fixed. Could your HDMI cable be running parralell to a power cord? I had 2 techs that came out to ck a picture prob on my Panny 34in tell me to avoid that. Could cause "noise bleed" from the pwr cord and that if I had to have them close to each other have them crossing each other not parralell. Power conditioners can help with that problem also. I'm in no way an expert but my Belkin Pure AV P60 helped clean up my issues of this sort.------Ray

raymo721 said:
I agree, but I thought the newer ones were supposed to have that problem fixed.
Robert from VE swears it has, but there still seem to be too many problems for it to be truly fixed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)