Problem with remote #2 on 522

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I've tried moving the antenna on the back of the 522... but I think something is interferring with the signal being sent from the remote #2 to the antenna on the back of the 522... can someone explain how I can change the transmit channel of the remote? I know someone tried to explain it on a previous post... but I don't understand exactly what to do. I've emailed Dish customer service... but if someone can explain it to me, that would be great - my wife is telling me to fix it or she is throwing the remote out the window... :eek:

There's a couple other things I'd like to know such as how far is remote #2 from the receiver...they only work up to a certain distance. Do you have another UHF remote in the house like a 322, 510, etc... or another piece of equipment (stereo or something) that uses UHF to transmit. By moving the antenna, what do you mean? Did you put a short piece of coax between the antenna and the input? This often helps if your distance is too far.

But to answer your question,

Put the antenna back on the receiver if you have it off

Bring the #2 remote to the receiver area

Get into the system info screen - do this by either pushing the Sys Info on the front panel of the receiver or by pushing MENU, 6, 1, 3 on the #1 remote (the green one).

Once looking at the system info screen, grab remote #2 and hold the SAT button until all the lights light up on that remote. Let the button go and SAT should blink.

Now punch in your new number (1-16 - there are ways to go up to 32, but thats not needed). Say your new number is 10 then punch in 1 then 0; now hit the # (pound) button - the remote should blink 3 times. Point the remote at the receiver and hit the "RECORD" button on the remote (remember all this latter stuff to be done on remote #2). You should see the Secondary remote address change to your new #.

Go back to remote 1, and select done, then 0 until your watching TV...take #2 to the other room and test it out.

Note that if you have anything else that is UHF, especially another dish receiver, you MAY change its address as well.

GREAT! That is exactly what I was looking for....

The distance is not very far - maybe 50 ft. From the 2nd floor to the 1st floor - almost directly straight up.

There are no other UHF remotes in the house.

When I said "move the antenna" I just meant I bent it a little to the right and a little to the left....

This remote worked perfectly for 10 days - first time - everytime - until the past few days it just started acting up...

Great, hope this puts you and the remote back in good graces with your wife...when the wife is unhappy, everyone is unhappy! Let me know if this doesn't get it. The most obvious thing also is the batteries...the ones that come with the system are cheap and don't last long at all - I'm guessing you probably already changed those out in an attempt to fix the problem.

Actually - no - I didn't change the batteries because they were brand new... do you think they might have only lasted 10 days?

Some remtoes are defective and eat batteries.

Note that changing the address does not change the "channel" (frequency).

Finally, there's a drawing somewhere on the forum of a simple and free super antenna made from a piece of RG-6 that has been reported to do wonders.

We have some issues with #2 remote on 522 and 322. Some time problems are solved by installing a bowtie antenna, some time if I don't have a bow tie I put fitting on a foot long coax and strip to the center core on the last 6" and wrap the copper around the coax. that's give pretty good range.

Some time you have to get creative with dipexors. I have one other day, house is fully wired with distribution panels and coax to every room. 522 in basement, #2 tuner on 3rd floor on the opposite side of the house. No matter how big of antenna you install on the 522, the UHF remote won't work!! It was just too far and too many stuff on the way. There is a room on 3rd floor that won't never have a TV so, I use a diplexer combine UHF remote antenna to distribution using one Sat cable. From the distribution hook up the Ant line of the diplexer to the cable that run to unused room on 3rd floor. Install the UHF remote antenna on the wall plate in unused room and it worked great!!

If changing the channel number doesn't change the frequency, what is it actually changing?

doogie said:
If changing the channel number doesn't change the frequency, what is it actually changing?

Its changing the address which the remote uses. Think of it like a computers IP address. Say your IP is 192.168.1.20 and another computer tries to use that same address... it wont work. but if you change it to 192.168.1.21 it will work. they arent on different frequencys but different addresses.

A User Named Cascade did a good drawing of an antenna extender.. but i cant seem to find it in the search.

I second the suggestion to try new batteries -
the ones out of the box lasted 3 days, so I bought 2 sets of rechargables....
I always keep a set charging.

Thank goodness, because the rechargables only last 3 days!

I don't do that much surfing with that remote... not sure why they eat batteries so fast. I thought maybe I had something laying on it the first time, but that's not the case.

And there's nobody home to use it during the day....

Anyone else have problems with the batteries going so fast?

wasii said:
I second the suggestion to try new batteries -
the ones out of the box lasted 3 days, so I bought 2 sets of rechargables....
I always keep a set charging.

Thank goodness, because the rechargables only last 3 days!

I don't do that much surfing with that remote... not sure why they eat batteries so fast. I thought maybe I had something laying on it the first time, but that's not the case.

And there's nobody home to use it during the day....

Anyone else have problems with the batteries going so fast?
No but I have a 522 remote 2 telling me my batteries are low. I checked them and 2 were 1.44 volts and 2 were 1.53 not exactly weak batteries.

ulive1ce said:
That is way too much work. ;) All I did was stick a cheap signal booster (from Radio Shack) on the end of a long RG6 (the UHF ant is the input to the booster) and I can hit the receiver from anywhere in the house (upstairs or downstairs).

too much work? nah... good exacto knife, cable, crimers, 1 end and its done in about 20 minutes. it would take me an hour to get to rat shack and back easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts