Problem with SC signal in central Mexico

pavusdei

Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
I have a SC 505 system up and running in mexico city, i'm using a 2.4 meter dish with 110º sat as primary focus (for DN) and just added the 2 lnbs for SC, the Anik F1 sat gives me about 70 to 80 with 7 ot 8.5 db, no freezing no problems, but the Anik F2 gives me sometimes signal that varies from 70 (yellow bar) to 92 (green bar) , but in all cases the db readings go from 3.5 to 4.5 or 5 top, and sometimes i experience some pixelation on some HD channels like Radio Canada or TSN, I have other friend that is using a 1.80 meter dish and has the Anik F2 as primary focus with reading and results pretty similar to mine.

So i wanted to know if there is something that i can do to improve the db readings, i think size of the dish it's not really the problem, and i've played a little bit turning the lnb to compensate the skew effect but with very little improve.

Take a picture that shows alignment of your two LNBFs,
and post it here. Anik F2 should be considerably stronger than F1R
in Mexico City, so I am thinking it is a combination of inproper skew
setting and/or not being at the proper focal point (up/down or left/right)
for F2. A picture would answer a lot of questions.

Ok here's the picture, the one at the right is Anik F1 and the upper left ys Anik F2
C:\Documents and Settings\fsalinas\Mis documentos\Mis imágenes\lnbs.jpg

Mexico City coordinates

107.3 - Anik F1R 65.4 elevation 203.3 true azimuth +22 degree skew

111.1 - Anik F2 63.5 elevation 212.5 true azimuth +31 degree skew

Rotation of the LNBFs are not visible in the picture, but if you are getting good signals
on Anik F1R, look at the skew setting, as viewed from the front of the dish.
Now compare the Anik F2 LNBF, which will be to your right (east) from front of dish.
It should be 9 degrees further counter-clockwise from that of Anik F1R.

After setting polarity on F2 LNBF (and confirming with signal meter while doing that adjustment) lock it down securely, and then re-check signal strength while viewing channel 712.
You might find further improvements slightly up/down as well as left/right.
If it is necessary to get a better idea, remove the adjustable bracket and hold the F2 LNBF
in the air....allowing a better free adjustment to locate a hot spot with even more signal.

Since you have relatively good readings on F1R, I know you simply have not yet found the
strongest position for F2, so keep trying.

Mexico City coordinates

107.3 - Anik F1R 65.4 elevation 203.3 true azimuth +22 degree skew

111.1 - Anik F2 63.5 elevation 212.5 true azimuth +31 degree skew

Rotation of the LNBFs are not visible in the picture, but if you are getting good signals
on Anik F1R, look at the skew setting, as viewed from the front of the dish.
Now compare the Anik F2 LNBF, which will be to your right (east) from front of dish.
It should be 9 degrees further counter-clockwise from that of Anik F1R.

After setting polarity on F2 LNBF (and confirming with signal meter while doing that adjustment) lock it down securely, and then re-check signal strength while viewing channel 712.
You might find further improvements slightly up/down as well as left/right.
If it is necessary to get a better idea, remove the adjustable bracket and hold the F2 LNBF
in the air....allowing a better free adjustment to locate a hot spot with even more signal.

Since you have relatively good readings on F1R, I know you simply have not yet found the
strongest position for F2, so keep trying.

I fine tuned the 2nd lnb for F2 and now i get a better signal, about 80 to 85 points of yellow bar that in somo hours turns green and 5db to 6db, i just only have to wait to the rain season to know if it will be enough, i certanly can get a stronger signal with that hughe dish put only having sat F2 as prime focus, but since i'm using the dish also for sat 110 of Dish and the reception of this sat is very poor here, that is something i can't do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts