Problem with UPS shipping

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Since when I was living in Canada, I have had problems with UPS. When I got my computer a warrenty replacement while in Montréal, I received the shipment and then a while later a bill from UPS. UPS had no right to bill me since the shipment was already payed for by the sender and they may not spuriously add additional charges for no service rendered. What's more, the part was not a purchase but a replacement under warrenty and thus not subject to any customs dues. I just ignored the bill and it went away.

When I got my StarChoice gear here in the U.S., UPS again tried to pull the 'pay us twice' fast one. They delayed my shipment and then tried to get me to pay for their mistake! Again I ignored it and it went away. So this year I needed to replace my DSR530 under warrenty. Again, no money is changing hands and customs should not have any associated duties. Again, UPS sends me this stupid bill for no service rendered. I have just received the second notice of this false charge and it says I'm 30 days delinquint. They have a box for 90 and 120 days. Before, I was able to ignore their unwarrented greed but I'm afraid I may be being backed into a corner. Can this bully of a shipper really get away with spuriously charging me for services already charged and payed for in Canada? What are my recourses?

Thanks.

The moral of the story is...

never use UPS! Ever! As someone who lives in Canada and orders many things from the US, I have been burned by them a couple of times. I just ordered parts for our Van de Graff generator and told them not to ship UPS - they did. Company charged me $18 shipping on an $80 order. Then I get a call from UPS - do I want them to clear package through customs or do I have a broker? Crap! $18 brokerage plus $6.50 administration and a $4.50 COD charge. I said what the hell is the COD charge - we have a UPS account. Oh, but we don't have a customs brokerage account so they want cash on delivery.

In the end, only order by Fedex (their international rates include brokerage) or by good old USPS. If they don't ship that way - refuse and take your business somewhere else.

BTW - there was no customs charges assessed on this parcel - just the UPS BS charges.

Take Care
Satboyz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)