Problems recording on my 921

jgra

Original poster
May 4, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Hello,

Yesterday night I changed my packaging and added some movie channels. After the movie channels started working I immediately started creating some timers and one of them was for 12:00am Wednesday 7/18, at this point I do not remember if I created any more for overnight recording as 921 does not have a history option.

So I wake up in the morning and it is not recorded and when I went to the channel it worked fine. Then I turned off the receiver and turned it back on and it went directly up to the next channel instead of populating the same movie channel I was on, and it also displayed the message "that this channel is in a subscription package" blah, blah. Nonetheless I tuned to channel and worked fine. So then I started a recording on that particular movie channel I was on and tried to stop it and it could not stop the recording. So pressed it to record another movie channel and the same thing so then I had two movie channels recording that I could not stop. The only way I could have stopped it if I tried changing to another channel and it would give me a prompt to stop one of the recordings. So I left one of the recordings on this morning hopefully there is not a mess when I get back home.

So what is going on I will try to call tech support today I hope I do not have to change my 921. I actually thought I was doing real fine with the 921 until this, I got the 921 this passed saturday.

Thanks any help, questions, suggestions etc is gladly appreciated.
jg

Sorry!

You have entered.... the... 921 zone! Can't begin to tell you how many similar situations I ran into on mine. Never got it fixed, and no confidence that a trade-out would provide any satisfaction. Too many people reporting too many basic problems.

I had the same frustrating prob, unfortunately the csr's at D* know didly. I got lucky & solved it myself. When you want to do a "quick record" use a light quick touch on the record button---don't "mash" it hold it down. you should be rewarded with an window of options, one of which is "manual user stop". See pg.68 in your manual.
If you were bad & didn't use a light, quick touch on the record button & that sucker is recording don't bother calling the tech line to try & find out how to stop the damn thing. Hit the DVR button. Highlight the program that's recording. Hit the "select/on" button again and then you will be able to select STOP!!!
I've had the 921 for a month now & yes it has some quirks--about like my damned PC but overall I'm very happy with it. Let me know if this solved your problem.
ED

old corps said:
I had the same frustrating prob, unfortunately the csr's at D* know didly. I got lucky & solved it myself. When you want to do a "quick record" use a light quick touch on the record button---don't "mash" it hold it down. you should be rewarded with an window of options, one of which is "manual user stop". See pg.68 in your manual.
If you were bad & didn't use a light, quick touch on the record button & that sucker is recording don't bother calling the tech line to try & find out how to stop the damn thing. Hit the DVR button. Highlight the program that's recording. Hit the "select/on" button again and then you will be able to select STOP!!!
I've had the 921 for a month now & yes it has some quirks--about like my damned PC but overall I'm very happy with it. Let me know if this solved your problem.
ED
I actually did try that and many other things unplugged receiver and recording was still on. So I actually did call Tech Support and they helped, they kept on telling me that this receiver is the most vulnerable of them all blah, blah. Well at the end the rep told me to remove my smart card and it worked fine again I was able to record and stop from the menu options.

They also said they will start a thread.

Thanks
for all your help

There was nothing that worked.

I'm pretty careful with my equipment (which explains why I still have working Carver Cubes) so I'm really sure that I never "mashed" the buttons. But, the problems I had to be truthful were really more around the darn thing just locking up requiring the plug to be pulled. It had to be taken off life support at least once every couple days.

old corps said:
ED

Sounds like you had a real nightmare with it. I probably woulda thrown the thing thru the window. I've had the "yank the plug" to reboot a few times as well. A couple of times I think I mighta got "fat fingered" & hit a couple of buttons at the same time. Hopefully mine won't have as many bugs as yours did! I've been using it a LOT for a month & so far it hasn't been that bad. Shouldn't have any bugs tho after a year on the market. Sure glad I didn't pay $1K for it, at $549 I'll live with a little aggravation I guess.
ED

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)