problems with 30west

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brotherhood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
97w/55n
hi all
will I've been at it for 8hrs and having hell of a time hitting 30west.
58west is not a problem so i thinking i might be to far north,should i put the dish upside down?
my Latitude: 55.74
Longitude: -97.85
help please

3 degree elevation and barely in the footprint...hope you got a BFD to try

looking at the maps you may not even be in the footprint....according to Lyngsat Cuba mux is on 1D, the rest are on 1C
hispasat 1c
Global1C.jpg

hispasat 1d
Global1D_2.jpg

I'm at 97W 48N and had to put the dish on sideways to get a CM 1.2 to aim lower than around 16 degrees elevation as I have it at 6 degrees elevation. Dishpointer says 3.6 elevation, for your location, so terrestrial noise may be an issue on a smaller dish, as will LOS.

Attachments

• GEDC0641_Crop_small.jpg
    GEDC0641_Crop_small.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 124
  • LNB.jpg
    LNB.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 129
  • aim.jpg
    aim.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
but you also have to realize his location....55N is northern Manitoba...way north. So he is probably out of the footprint

Someone posted a picture of dishes in Barrow Alaska and it was funny to see the Ku dishes upside down but thats pretty much what you're left trying at 3.6 degrees elevation. I think the experts here will tell you that even with an offset dish there is a limit to how low you can point it normally before ground noise interferes.

but you also have to realize his location....55N is northern Manitoba...way north. So he is probably out of the footprint
I looked at the coverage maps and google maps. 97w 55N Looks in the footprint, If the coverage maps are accurate. I will admit, just barely. dishpointer.com says he's at 3.6 elevation. Maps indicate 40dbw area, so should be possible. But, that being said, I feel a 1.2 meter, or larger, dish may be required to overcome terrestrial noise and the weaker signal at that low elevation. I know of no offset dish that will aim that low in a conventional setup. Sideways or inverted is the only "normal" way. Another problem with that low elevation is LOS. As can be seen in pic 3, that pine tree (~22ft tall, 570 ft from dish) would be a problem at 3.6 elevation, and will be with my 6 degree elevation, when it "grows up". BTW, I did the solar outage sat finder trick last fall to confirm that I could "see" 30w, before putting the dish up.

Brotherhood,

Here is a zoom-in shot of the EIRP map for your area from Hispasat 1D @ 30°W from SatBeams.com I would ignore the recommended dish size in the 2nd image for the reasons cited previously.

These images will simply serve to show you where you are in the footprint. I like the SatBeams site because you can dial in on the map for a better idea of what EIRP range (zone) your site falls into.

By the way, you are "almost" due north of my location, I am at 96.4°W (near Omaha, Nebraska 41.6°N).

RADAR

ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 21 13.23.gif

ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 21 12.54.gif

ive hit 30w at 2.7 degrees elevation with a 36inch dish. im at about 51n and abit west of the OP. its low thats for sure. had to mount the dish upside down and take a laptop and prof 7500 out into the country to get a good view of the horizon. its pretty bright (read easy to lock) if you can see it. a fist at arms length is approximately 4 degrees elevation if you want to check LOS quick.

crackt out,.

ive hit 30w at 2.7 degrees elevation with a 36inch dish. im at about 51n and abit west of the OP. its low thats for sure. had to mount the dish upside down and take a laptop and prof 7500 out into the country to get a good view of the horizon. its pretty bright (read easy to lock) if you can see it. a fist at arms length is approximately 4 degrees elevation if you want to check LOS quick.

crackt out,.

Brotherhood,

I'd say that Crackt has a testimonial here that should support your endeavor to the positive side. I'd follow his lead because he isn't too far away from you and is grabbing the signal. You therefore understand that it is possible. It may take some care with the alignment, but sounds as though it will work.

RADAR

just want to say thanks guys will try again this weekend ,i have a old 4ft starchoice i'm using.
will let you guys know

I'm at 97W 48N and had to put the dish on sideways to get a CM 1.2 to aim lower than around 16 degrees elevation as I have it at 6 degrees elevation. Dishpointer says 3.6 elevation, for your location, so terrestrial noise may be an issue on a smaller dish, as will LOS.

FaT,

This is insanely genius the way you mounted this dish! I looked at it for quite a while before I figured out what the hell you were doing. I had tried for Hipsat originally with the same CM dish. Couldn't go much below 20deg. I later obtained a HughesNet dish that would go to the 15deg I needed. I would have never thought to turn the CM on it's side.
I've read of people turning them upside down, seems that would turn it into a bird bath and fill with water.

Last edited:
FaT,

This is insanely genius the way you mounted this dish! I looked at it for quite a while before I figured out what the hell you were doing. I had tried for Hipsat originally with the same CM dish. Couldn't go much below 20deg. I later obtained a HughesNet dish that would go to the 15deg I needed. I would have never thought to turn the CM on it's side.
I've read of people turning them upside down, seems that would turn it into a bird bath and fill with water.
Birdview Spoon inspired. Way up north, I don't think it would be quite a bird bath, but in the southern states, yeah.
11881 v 27.500 is strong here

Last edited:
whats a strong tp on 30w ?

Brotherhood,

I will run down the TPs that I receive in the Omaha, NE area with a 1.2 M GeoSatPro dish, AZBox Premium Plus and an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF. I always try to use the 11884 TP (#1) as that is the one carries Cubavision and the main channel that I watch.

1] 11884 V 27500 SR 84%Q

2] 11908 V 7199 SR 92%Q

3] 11930 V 2219 SR 55%Q

4] 11972 H 27497 SR 94%Q

5] 12052 V 27497 SR 80%Q

6] 12132 H 27497 SR 80%Q

7] 12136 V 3029 SR 60%Q

8] 12140 V 3255 SR 60%Q

9] 12145 V 4199 SR 70%Q

10] 12155 V 2221 SR 60%Q

11] 12158 V 2348 SR 76%Q

12] 12163 V 3029 SR 48%Q

13] 12168 V 5239 SR 59%Q

14] 12172 H 27497 SR 92%Q

15] 12173 V 2224 SR 69%Q

RADAR

portugues onde esta .pois eu vivo perto de toronto latitude 43.64 longitude 79.38 elevation 25 to 28, 36 inch dish .Amigo se tiver alguem que tenha um first strike meter nao vai ter problema nenhum .Amigo do 58 west ate ao 30 west tem que mudare a dish aproximadamente dois metros mais para a esquerda nao para o nort mas sim para sul/east .O seu dish esta no 58 va para a esquerda ai mais uns dois metros altura entre os 13 to 7 mas em Manitoba tem que uzare uma dish maiore que 1.2 meter mas penso que e impossivel apanare o Hispansat em manitoba pois o satellite nao cobre essa parte pois o ontario sim mas manitoba nao penso ser possivel.

Last edited:
My friend from manitoba did you need one big dish 1.2 meter or even big and I dont no if possibel to guet hispansat from Manitoba.Hispansat dont cover Manitoba max Ontario

Last edited:
good morning guys
now that my dish is put on upside down the universal lnb should still be at 5 oclock clockwise right?

good morning guys
now that my dish is put on upside down the universal lnb should still be at 5 oclock clockwise right?

Good morning Brotherhood,

Inverting the dish won't change the polarization angle of the LNBF (cw or ccw rotation). However, it shouldn't be at 5 o'clock. Looking at the LNBF from out in front of the dish, the LNBF should be rotated CW 32.2° - which would be just a tick past the 1 o'clock position. If there are degree markings on your LNBF clamp, they probably only go out to 20°, so you may have to extrapolate the additional 12°. Easy to get the additional 10° by rotating the LNBF 10° and making a mark on the LNBF at zero and then rotating it 20°. If there are no markings at all, just guess at the 1 o'clock position the best you can. This usually isn't extremely critical and you should be able to find the signal just fine if close. Then fine tune this adjustment later for the optimum signal quality reading (as well as adjusting the focal position of the LNBF).

RADAR

just want to thank everyone for there help and that 30.0west is found and running in canada north of 55 .
but is tvi portuguese channel running right now? did a blindscan and came up with nothing
thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts