Problems with car audio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhsucade07

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum or can at least receive a couple of pointers. I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab XE that is nearing 100,000 miles. The vehicle has had the same audio system (a simple radio with a CD player) since I purchased it new almost six years ago (in fact, six years this Friday -- my birthday and it's birthday). Anyways, about eight months ago, the audio started going out in certain areas (it seemed to be in hills, etc) and it would keep coming back in and going out as if a connection might be loose. Then, about five months ago, it went out completely.

As for the radio itself, you can place a CD in the radio or change stations and even turn the volume up and down. Through all of this, the radio gives the impression that it is working with the visuals on the screen. Therefore, I have reason to believe that it may be some sort of loose connection behind the radio but know nothing about maintenance on car stereos. I'm interested in getting this fixed as I wouldn't mind having Sirius Satellite Radio. Should I have everything patched back together or should I simply purchase a whole new system? (I know I will need to purchase a Sirius system but am thinking of one of the plug-and-play units).

Cade

It could be a loose connection, some other things you can look for, it could be part of your harness (esp. speaker wire) got exposed to barewire, perhaps by rubbing against metal once protected by a rubber grommet, and causing intermittent shorts, eventually leading to possible amp damage (or triggering of internal fusing), it could also be inside the head, perhaps a cracked PCB, bad solder, etc..

Last edited:
For your birthday, buy yourself a nice new radio with Sirius (though XM is better!)... The Kenwood KDC-X790 is last year's model, and are great radio's, and you can have the Sirius (or XM) adapter installed hidden, and you can control it from the head unit, nicely integrated.

I just upgraded from the 790 to the 891. The 790 has a motorized faceplate, but this year's model (the 791) doesn't.

I AM..... a car stereo fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)