Problems with DENVER KCNC 4 HD?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I receive the Denver Locals, including the four High def channels; Channel 4, KCNC, 6331 has been acting up terribly. It routinely loses picture, but not audio. I tried to record an episode of Numb3rs Friday and got nothing but black screen for an hour. All the other locals seems to be working.

anyone else experiencing this? Trying to be sure that it is a problem with the particular channel and not the vip622.

michaelgizzi said:
I receive the Denver Locals, including the four High def channels; Channel 4, KCNC, 6331 has been acting up terribly. It routinely loses picture, but not audio. I tried to record an episode of Numb3rs Friday and got nothing but black screen for an hour. All the other locals seems to be working.

anyone else experiencing this? Trying to be sure that it is a problem with the particular channel and not the vip622.

I would blame the idiots in Golden for trying to keep the Denver channels from building the new HD tower up on Lookout Mountain. Without it, true HD in Denver will be SOL. Golden is turning out as bad as Boulder is!

Slamminc11 said:
I would blame the idiots in Golden for trying to keep the Denver channels from building the new HD tower up on Lookout Mountain. Without it, true HD in Denver will be SOL. Golden is turning out as bad as Boulder is!

Out of curiosity, how does Dish pick up the Denver HD feeds? Are they just grabbing what is put out OTA and then feeding it through the Sat?

I ask because I am getting these channels from Dish, and not OTA. And I realize that my question may very well be a sign of my weak knowledge-base of how all of this works.

Regardless, it is annoying.

Satellite and cable companies usually pick up local stations OTA (both analog and HD), but if there are reception issues a station may set up an alternate link. (I.e. Cox cable gets KVBC-DT in Las Vegas via a fiber optic link.)

GeorgeLV said:
Satellite and cable companies usually pick up local stations OTA (both analog and HD), but if there are reception issues a station may set up an alternate link. (I.e. Cox cable gets KVBC-DT in Las Vegas via a fiber optic link.)

So this would suggest that KCNC is having problems, and Dish is just rebroadcasting the flawed (currently pictureless, but full audio) feed?

michaelgizzi said:
So this would suggest that KCNC is having problems, and Dish is just rebroadcasting the flawed (currently pictureless, but full audio) feed?

Not necessarily. It might just mean Dish's antenna at their uplink facility needs maintaince or KCNC is broadcasting at reduced power for some reason and Dish's antenna can no longer pick it up reliably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts