Problems with local channels over OTA antenna

flipcody

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Ripon, WI USA
Hello,

I recently upgraded to Voom and it is my first HD experience since buying my HDTV over 3 years ago. I love it. I have waited for my cable company to bring HD to me for well over 2 years and I was tired of waiting. I'm very happy with Voom. My wife was very sceptical about HDTV until she watched some HD programing. We watched the Lakers/Timber Wolves game last night on TNT HD and she was blown away. She (and I) can not believe the difference. My son loves the Discovery HD channel.

Unfortunately I'm only getting ABC over the OTA antenna. The guy installed the antenna on my roof and it appears to have a clear shot (no trees) where it is pointing (48 degrees). I live in Ripon WI (54971) and I'm 57 - 58 miles from the Green Bay stations. All the stations are at 48 degrees with the exception of NBC which is at 51 degrees. I live on a higher part of town. The guy installed a Winegard Prostar 1000 PR-7015.

Does anyone have some suggestions? Will an amplifier help? Madison stations are 64 miles and Milwaukee stations are 68 miles. Is it possible they have stronger signals and I might be able to pick them up? Is there anyway on-line to determine what stations signal strengths are?

I have called Voom and they said they will upgrade me. They think I should be able to get to digital OTA signals at less than 60 miles.

Thanks for any help!

I live 50 miles from Chicago and they installedo on my Roof a Winegard 7084HD and I get all my locals.

I dont think that they gave you the right antenna for the distance you live.

Bill

The Ugly Truth

You are a long way from those towers, Brother. You'll need a good antenna and some helpful geography to score those locals.

I know this sounds like a cheesy cop-out, but have you called your local cable provider and ASKED for any unadvertised specials on local channels? Charter cable in St. Louis has an unadvertised $4.95/month deal on local channels, but they won't tell you about it unless you specifically ask for it.

Somebody told me that it was a federal requirement of Cablecos, but I suspect that is B.S.

Good luck!

I got upgraded to a Channelmaster 4228 which is the 8-bay, square shape, directional antenna. This antenna is rate for 65 miles. I curently using this antenna in my attic with no amp or preamp and get all my locals fine. I also live in Hampton roads area of Virginia and about 2 miles from an airport.

Thanks for the replies. I have gone out to the Winegard web sight (which I should have done before posting) and have found that the PR-7015 is only rated for 50 miles VHF and 35 miles UHF. Ugh! Why did the installer put this up? Aggravating. I'm amazed that I'm picking up the one channel. I need the PR-7052 (which is rated 100 miles VHF and 60 miles UHF).

Videofx the 7084 would work for me for the VHF but not the UHF (UHF on the 7084 is rated 35 miles). I need UHF because NBC is greenbay is UHF.

Stingy, HD has just become available in Ripon (found out this morning, it was not last week) through Charter but they do not have the locals yet. They are negotiating with stations now (Fond du Lac/Ripon is in between Green Bay and Milwaukee). It is unsure how long this will take. Based on the size of the 7052 maybe I should wait. To get local HD stations will be $6.95 a month for STB rental and $3.00 a month for channels. I'm torn, I could probably save the $10 a month by getting bigger antenna.

Jimmy, the 4228 only does UHF. I need VHF as well.

Any other comments? Is there any advantage of local digital/HDTV channels via cable over OTA?

Thank you all!
Flip

Flip,

okay...I happy with just UHF stuff. I would call Voom and tell them what model you want and have the installer come back out to set it up for you.

My OTA channel station will HD only durning prime time and it looks awesome. I believe the cable company will modify the signal, but when you get OTA with your antenna, you getting whats actually being broadcast. Also getting OTA frees up band width for more HD channels or SD your satellite provider.

Hi Flipcody. I also am from Ripon, and was wondering how you are doing with your ota antenna reception. I'm still pretty new at the hdtv thing, but I have a new hdtv built in tv, and I'm dying to start watching. Any insight on equipment would be appreciated.

ripon_guy said:
Hi Flipcody. I also am from Ripon, and was wondering how you are doing with your ota antenna reception. I'm still pretty new at the hdtv thing, but I have a new hdtv built in tv, and I'm dying to start watching. Any insight on equipment would be appreciated.

If you already have the tuner built-in, all you need is an antenna.

Antenna type/size depends on your proximity to your area's television transmitting towers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts