Problems With OTA USB Module for Hopper With Sling

rlee22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Lewisport, Ky
I bought the OTA USB module on Feb 20, 2013 from the dish network store Order number 72286202. It had been working fine until the last couple of months. Lately, after the receiver updates each night at about 1:30, the module works fine with a signal strength of 100 on the channels I usually watch. After about 12 hours, when I go to an OTA channel, the info screen on the top of the screen shows the normal information and the signal strength shows 98-100, but I get no picture or sound and no error message. If I push the red button on the hopper with sling, it reboots. After the reboot, it works fine with both picture and sound. But again, after 6-10 hours it goes out with the same problem. I have unplugged the USB cord from the back of the module, plugged it back in, and the system rebooted as normal. Then the module will work again for 6-10 hours. I have noticed on Satellite Guys that other people are having this same problem. Do you think this is a hardware problem and do I need my module replaced, or is it a software problem which can be fixed in the new software updates. Please advise. Also my regular Dish network satellite channels work great it is just the ota channels, and when they go out it is all the ota channels
I have sent DIRT Matt a PM on this
Thank you,
Robert D. Lee

Interesting. Could be a/w, but more likely dongle failure.

Do you have it horizontal and well ventilated?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I feel it is from the software update from about 2-3 months ago (S328)--because right after I received the up-date my OTA starting doing the same--all of a sudden- not pulling picture in--even though on the top banner the info was there. I have to do a Red button reset to get the channels to come back in.
I did not have any issues in this regard before the S328 up-date.
I reported this in another thread.

I bought the OTA USB module on Feb 20, 2013 from the dish network store Order number 72286202. It had been working fine until the last couple of months. Lately, after the receiver updates each night at about 1:30, the module works fine with a signal strength of 100 on the channels I usually watch. After about 12 hours, when I go to an OTA channel, the info screen on the top of the screen shows the normal information and the signal strength shows 98-100, but I get no picture or sound and no error message. If I push the red button on the hopper with sling, it reboots. After the reboot, it works fine with both picture and sound. But again, after 6-10 hours it goes out with the same problem. I have unplugged the USB cord from the back of the module, plugged it back in, and the system rebooted as normal. Then the module will work again for 6-10 hours. I have noticed on Satellite Guys that other people are having this same problem. Do you think this is a hardware problem and do I need my module replaced, or is it a software problem which can be fixed in the new software updates. Please advise. Also my regular Dish network satellite channels work great it is just the ota channels, and when they go out it is all the ota channels
Thank you,
Robert D. Lee

I've had this same problem with OTA on both of my HWSs.

Had the problem a couple of weeks ago. I did a power plug reboot and no problems since.

With the OTA and EHD problems being reported by users, would it suggest that Dish has a problem with their USB interface software?

I just installed my OTA module today. It behaves identically to what you describe. I am running 330. I suspect that it, as well as the EHD problem I also have is caused by a software deficiency that is known and being worked on with a resolution to be sometime mid-month...
Ben

Thank you,
Robert D. Lee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)