Program Guide on Local Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dondem

Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I lost the program guide for my local channels for a while now, it now shows digital service. I have not subscribed to Dish local channels and currently use an outdoor antenna. I get all the local channels here in South Florida with very strong and clear signal. I have 2 boxes: VIP211 and 811 both of them HD boxes. I only lost the program guide on the VIP211 box. The 811 box has all the program guide.

I have reset the VIP211 box a couple of times and even called Dish CSR and was told it might have been a software upgrade that caused it. I get the program guide for all other channels except for local channels and this is only happening on the VIP211 box. Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a solution to this problem?

Can someone help me...please

From what I understand on the 211 you have to subscribe to locals to get guide info. Maybe they did a software upgrade to take them away. If you were getting them I believe it was a mistake with no subscription to locals.

Thank you for the very quick responses.

Taking away local program guides. That's not nice. Is this a limitation of the new boxes or is this their way of making you pay for the program guide?

What if I connect the antenna directly to a Panasonic 600u plasma with built-in ATSC tuner and EPG will doing this show the program guide?

thanks for the info

Simply a way to drive $5 additional revenue a month for nothing but data. E* has admitted this was a business decision when they stopped offering it. It was free on the 6000, 811, and 921, I think.

dondem said:
Thank you for the very quick responses.

Taking away local program guides. That's not nice. Is this a limitation of the new boxes or is this their way of making you pay for the program guide?

What if I connect the antenna directly to a Panasonic 600u plasma with built-in ATSC tuner and EPG will doing this show the program guide?

thanks for the info

If your local channels are sending out good PSIP data then you could get program info that way, but it would not be on your 211. It would only be on your tv's guide.

This is something that has made me frustrated. I paid to get a good antenna on my roof so I could get my HD Locals. Now I have to pay $5.00 a month just to get the data and some poor quality SD locals? Frustrating and another example of the hidden fees of satellite.

so I guess the 811 is good for something then? I have one and other than it crashing when I select one of the digital OTA channels, its nice to have some guide info on the digital OTA channels :)

bowens said:
If your local channels are sending out good PSIP data then you could get program info that way, but it would not be on your 211. It would only be on your tv's guide.

I can not justify paying $5.00 for a program guide specially if I can get it somewhere else. I guess I will find out when I get the plasma.

Thank you for stopping me from blowing my brains out just to figure this one out.

There were two things that really bothered me about E*.

First, charging for local data, and incomplete data at that (subchannels) and second, multiple DVR fees for the same account.

Although it didn't get me, the $5 landline fee is hogwash too.

E* is way too aggressive in their fee structure.

I bet I've raised this issue in at least 20 posts over the last 6 months and nobody thought it was a big deal. It isn't that big a deal but when you add it to all the other "not big deals", you find the "big deal" is how much Dish tends to nickle / dime their customers.

waltinvt said:
I bet I've raised this issue in at least 20 posts over the last 6 months and nobody thought it was a big deal. It isn't that big a deal but when you add it to all the other "not big deals", you find the "big deal" is how much Dish tends to nickle / dime their customers.

I Agree they way E* Nickle and Dime's a customer sucks. My wife and i have tried to cut down on the bill a few times but with having four receivers now and three dvr's its kinda hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)