Programming Blackout Question

NoBoB

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I've encountered an odd programming blackout, and I wonder if anyone can explain it. The only blackouts I've ever run into before were on major league sports events.

Comcast SportsNet New England (435) runs some New England Patriots programming on Thursday nights. At 7:30 Eastern, "Patriots Football Weekly" is listed in the guide, and it repeats a few times later. When I attempt to set the DVR timer for this on my 722, I get the same 'not available in your area' popup that I get if I pick a game from out-of-town. I'm in California, but all of the rest of their programming plays here (except, of course, the Celtics games). I understand the rules about the games, but why would this particular program be blacked out for me?

This past Thursday was the first time I tried to watch that show, and it's preempted by a Celtics game this coming Thursday, so I don't know if it's always like that. Edited to add: The DVR let me set one of the later repeats, but when it came to actually record it, it skipped it because it was blacked out.

Last edited:
unfortunately that seems to be the norm on these "weekly" shows...that for some reason the channel is forcing the blackout (and its on both)
I know last year when I had the sports pack (on DIrectv) the "weekly" shows (Tigers Weekly, Pirates Weekly, etc) they were blacked out too

Part of some rule. The only league that has relaxed rules is the NHL, who even allow replays to be broadcasted anywhere. The rest hold true to the "in market only" rules.
I disagree with that. With the exception of a few RSNs, when I had multi-sport, I could not get the replays of games that were out of my area.

unfortunately that seems to be the norm on these "weekly" shows...that for some reason the channel is forcing the blackout (and its on both)
I know last year when I had the sports pack (on DIrectv) the "weekly" shows (Tigers Weekly, Pirates Weekly, etc) they were blacked out too

I always kind of wondered what the point was in getting a package with out of market RSNs, given that the games are all blacked out, but I figured people got them because they cared about shows talking about sports more than I do (For me, they're cool if I get to my tv a few minutes early for a game, or don't want to turn my tv off for a few minutes after the game, but not "must see"). Now I'm hearing that those type of shows are blacked out (I'm assuming including pre-game and post-game shows?). So what's left on these stations for out of market viewers? Syndicated national fare that's the same on almost every RSN?

HanoverPretzel said:
I always kind of wondered what the point was in getting a package with out of market RSNs, given that the games are all blacked out, but I figured people got them because they cared about shows talking about sports more than I do (For me, they're cool if I get to my tv a few minutes early for a game, or don't want to turn my tv off for a few minutes after the game, but not "must see"). Now I'm hearing that those type of shows are blacked out (I'm assuming including pre-game and post-game shows?). So what's left on these stations for out of market viewers? Syndicated national fare that's the same on almost every RSN?

College Basketball!

I always kind of wondered what the point was in getting a package with out of market RSNs, given that the games are all blacked out, but I figured people got them because they cared about shows talking about sports more than I do
When I had the RSN package, even though the live games were blacked out, a lot of the replays weren't. That changed for my team starting last fall 2010. Still, for my NHL team, I could watch a "Rewind" 30-minute highlights of my team the next day, and I could still watch the pre- and post-game shows of my NHL and MLB team. Most of the time, the game went over the alloted blackout slot and I got to see the end of many live games too. It was worth it to me for $7 a month. It also gave me many more options to watch weekly college football games that I normally couldn't watch. Now that I'm in my RSN's region, I get all of my teams on my local RSN now.

college basketball
college hockey
college football

Honestly I dont know why folks get that ESPN Game Plan when probably 90% or more of the games are on the RSN's and not blacked out. Once in a blue while it will be but then just check the guide and you might find the same game on another RSN that is not blacked out
college hockey...no blackouts
CBB there is more but it depends on the game

dare2be said:
I disagree with that. With the exception of a few RSNs, when I had multi-sport, I could not get the replays of games that were out of my area.

I'm using my HTC, so I can't see where you are. However, you are referring to the NHL? Because, I got that with MLB & NBA. But as I said, I got every NHL replay. If so I'm surprised, because most people I know of got NHL replayed games on Dish.

I'm using my HTC, so I can't see where you are. However, you are referring to the NHL? Because, I got that with MLB & NBA. But as I said, I got every NHL replay. If so I'm surprised, because most people I know of got NHL replayed games on Dish.
I was in Florida trying to get Penguin games. I used to be able to get the FSN Pitt replay at 11:00pm until Fall 2010 when they started to get blacked out. The replays weren't blacked out on FSN Ohio (when they played Columbus) but other RSNs (Detroit, South (Atlanta, Carolina)), blacked out their replays as well. It all seemed to be dependent on the RSN/team.

Thanks for the replies. At least I know it's not something for the DiRT team or something like that. Other than the games, Red Sox and Bruins related stuff on NESN hasn't been blacked out (and yes, I get the hockey replays but not the baseball), so it seemed odd.

It does move that $7 sports pack further up the cancellation candidate list though. If I can't have the games, and might not even get the general interest shows, I'm not sure it's worth it once Red Zone signs off.

I asked this question here, because I hadn't heard back from CSNNE. They responded today saying it is the team that requires the blackout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)