Programming cost to upgrade HR10-250 to HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

borchert

Original poster
Feb 16, 2007
I'd like to know the real cost to upgrade my HD from a HR10-250 to the new MPEG4 unit HR20. Other than the price of the receiver, is there any other programming costs other than "Plus HD DVR" at $69.99? Mainly I want to know does the $69.99 include HD ($9.99 currently) and DVR ($5.99 currently) with no monthly rental fee.

Also, anyone know when the SWM single-cable option may be available, or if it will cost anything extra.

Thanks,
Chris

the anser is probably no regarding the hd access fee included with the dvr fee. i have 2 hr20's and neither one of them came with free hd access. if you have total choice plus extra package that includes the hd access and dvr fee, then you don't pay anything else. otherwise, you pay the fees. that's true even if you owned the equipment versus lease.

Your programming costs do not change one cent from what you are paying now with the HR10. Assuming you have a base package, HD access, and DVR service. You do not have to change to the HDDVR Plus package if you don't want to.

If you add the HR20 then you will pay the $4.99 for the extra receiver. If it replaces the HR10 your monthly costs remain the same.:)

Wow, that's great news. I only want 1 receiver. My bill now is $51.99 + $9.99 + $5.99 = $67.97. Plus I own my current receiver. So even though I won't "own" the HR20, I don't have to pay a rental fee if I keep my current plan?

Are there any benefits to the "Plus HD DVR" plan? It doesn't include the "HD Extra Pack" ($4.99) does it?

I'd like to know the real cost to upgrade my HD from a HR10-250 to the new MPEG4 unit HR20. Other than the price of the receiver, is there any other programming costs other than "Plus HD DVR" at $69.99? Mainly I want to know does the $69.99 include HD ($9.99 currently) and DVR ($5.99 currently) with no monthly rental fee.

Also, anyone know when the SWM single-cable option may be available, or if it will cost anything extra.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes this plan does included the HD access($9.99) and the DVR fees but not lease fees for additional receivers. If you want the HD extra pack($4.99) which includes HD only channels with no SD counterpart for the exception of Discovery HD Theater,

Yes this plan does included the HD access($9.99) and the DVR fees but not lease fees for additional receivers. If you want the HD extra pack($4.99) which includes HD only channels with no SD counterpart for the exception of Discovery HD Theater,

I was wondering about programming cost too. It looked a little confusing to me. I'm having my HDTivo unit replaced with the HR20 next week. I just want to make sure I'm clear on the subject.

currently I have:
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS 51.99
HBO Monthly 13.00
HD Access Monthly 9.99
DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 5.99
Total 80.97

If I get the DVR PLUS HD and HD Extra my bill would be:
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS 51.99
HBO Monthly 13.00
DVR Plus HD 9.99
HD Extra 4.99
Total 79.97

So for a buck less a month I'd get MGM HD, National Geographic HD, etc, all of the other non premium HD channels along with the DVR service. Is this correct?

I was wondering about programming cost too. It looked a little confusing to me. I'm having my HDTivo unit replaced with the HR20 next week. I just want to make sure I'm clear on the subject.

currently I have:
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS 51.99
HBO Monthly 13.00
HD Access Monthly 9.99
DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 5.99
Total 80.97

If I get the DVR PLUS HD and HD Extra my bill would be:
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS 51.99
HBO Monthly 13.00
DVR Plus HD 9.99
HD Extra 4.99
Total 79.97

So for a buck less a month I'd get MGM HD, National Geographic HD, etc, all of the other non premium HD channels along with the DVR service. Is this correct?

Not quite. There is no $9.99 fee for DVR plus HD. There is a "Plus HD DVR" package which includes the Choice Plus programming, the HD Access Fee and the DVR fee for $69.99. Add $13 for HBO and you get a total of $82.99, or $3 more than you are paying now for exactly the same programming.

The HD Extra package (which you are now getting free until 12/15) will add in the HD channels which do not have a SD equivalent.

Not quite. There is no $9.99 fee for DVR plus HD. There is a "Plus HD DVR" package which includes the Choice Plus programming, the HD Access Fee and the DVR fee for $69.99. Add $13 for HBO and you get a total of $82.99, or $3 more than you are paying now for exactly the same programming.

The HD Extra package (which you are now getting free until 12/15) will add in the HD channels which do not have a SD equivalent.

I think I finally figured it out. The descriptions on section about HD programming on the DirectTV web site makes it sound as if the the HD and DVR service are in addition to the base package (ie the way it's been for several years). But when I go to the "Change my channels" option on my account. It only gives options for the packages with the various services already included in the price. The big difference is that I'm currently paying $3/month less for the Choice Extra package than what they are saying it costs on the ordering page.

I think I finally figured it out. The descriptions on section about HD programming on the DirectTV web site makes it sound as if the the HD and DVR service are in addition to the base package (ie the way it's been for several years). But when I go to the "Change my channels" option on my account. It only gives options for the packages with the various services already included in the price. The big difference is that I'm currently paying $3/month less for the Choice Extra package than what they are saying it costs on the ordering page.

That is correct. The Choice Extra (I mistakenly said Choice Plus in my earlier post) is identical to the discontinued Total Choice Plus, but those of us who already had that package were grandfathered (with a smaller price increase) in February.

So basically when upgrading to the HR20, DirecTV will not force me to upgrade to the "Plus HD DVR" package? And there is no rental fee if it is my only receiver?

Thanks,
Chris

Your package doesn't need to change (you are already paying HD and DVR fees) and the first leased/additional receiver fee is waived (or included in the package price). The Plus HD DVR package merely combines all the fees into one price (which is two cents more than the sum of the parts).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)