Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Thought about this over last weekend. Some of us have these FTA projects that we have thought about doing. Should we have a section devoted to that where we can post what we were trying to accomplish and how we got it to work. We could start with things like

-how to hook up 2 or more dishes to a receiver
-how to get a KU and DBS LNB on one dish

simple things that some of us could do with our eyes closed....and then maybe get it up a little elaborate.

As an example. last night I had 3 receivers running off 2 separate LNB's with a 5x8 switch :)

What are evryones thoughts?

Maybe also expand it into project ideas like my "insane setup possible" thread. That will still be only a miniscule fraction of everything that's currently in the main FTA forum.

And maybe include certain FTA-related projects, like my CGI channel list site. I have a hunch we may soon have a more public server to use for it (C*sc*d*? :)) And of course this would be the version previously discussed where I filter out the channels that are exclusive to our private area.

TuxCoder said:
Maybe also expand it into project ideas like my "insane setup possible" thread. That will still be only a miniscule fraction of everything that's currently in the main FTA forum.

exactly. Thats what I'm saying. Projects and project ideas can go there
And maybe include certain FTA-related projects, like my CGI channel list site. I have a hunch we may soon have a more public server to use for it (C*sc*d*? :)) And of course this would be the version previously discussed where I filter out the channels that are exclusive to our private area.
the list as long as it doesn't have the stuff that is in the finds area, that would be OK

Who voted No?
'Berg, would this encompass how people have their FTA gear setup? I reckon if people saw how other people had their FTA setup it'd give them ideas on what works and what doesn't work.

This may be the ideal place for the Post Your Setup threads.

OT: Oct 6, 2004 9:16 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery NORFOLK - HD, VA - yay!

Cascade said:
Who voted No?
Wasn't me... :no
'Berg, would this encompass how people have their FTA gear setup? I reckon if people saw how other people had their FTA setup it'd give them ideas on what works and what doesn't work.

I like it. Maybe a sticky thread, and if possible limit each user to one post in the thread. We each put a post in there describing our setup, and come back and edit it as our setup changes. Complete with pictures, even? :)
OT: Oct 6, 2004 9:16 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery NORFOLK - HD, VA - yay!
Oct 6, 2004 10:39am TuxCoder spotted in VA chasing FedEx truck with crazed look

Pictures would be great as long as it doesn't burden the server too much I guess.
I usually link mine offsite to my webspace and I have a few terabytes left if anyone needs hosting for their pics.
Pump those crazy legs, Tux :)

And if we do allow pictures, require they are put in as attachments (or links) but not inlined, for many reasons.

And I'll just ASCII-art mine. :D

Cascade said:
Who voted No?
I did :)

it could.....I just thought of it this weekend, some of us have crazy projects we want to try and I thought a section for it

we (me & Pete) were thinking about the "post your setup thread" :D

TuxCoder said:
I like it. Maybe a sticky thread, and if possible limit each user to one post in the thread. We each put a post in there describing our setup, and come back and edit it as our setup changes. Complete with pictures, even? :)

that is an option. I dont know how we could limit it to user gets one post unless the thread is closed...and we dont want that.

Cascade said:
Pictures would be great as long as it doesn't burden the server too much I guess.

I think making them attachments is OK...I need a digital camera :)

I'll check with admin on how we can set it up for a show us your FTA setup. There might be a way we can click on the topic and it shows everyone who posted a setup and then all the different pictures
one topic per person

Iceberg said:
I'll check with admin on how we can set it up for a show us your FTA setup. There might be a way we can click on the topic and it shows everyone who posted a setup and then all the different pictures
one topic per person
Perhaps with the one topic per person, If the person wants a new topic the old one has to go....(for the space)

Still thinking if we should add the section for FTA projects......

I just dont want it as "yeah lets do it" and then there are only a few posts...heck, we can post those in the regualr MPEG section.

In fact, I posted a project I worked on a week ago and had a few looks, but no comments :(

I'm sure it's just the type of thing that will take time to grow. But it will house some great information, I'm sure. It will also encourage more 'creative juices' to flow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)