Pros and cons of sat install job

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bmcc49er

Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Any installers out there willing to give a little feedback I would appreciate it. I am winding down a 20 year career in the military and have a job waiting as a DirectTv installer for a contracted company. It pays per job and it seems like a good opportunity. I have to weigh all my options carefully and am looking for people who currently or have done this job in the past and some feedback on the good and the bad. I don't mind manual labor, I specialize in customer service and I have been stationed in the hottest to coldest climates. I am sure there are things I haven't even thought about so if your willing I say thanks in advance.

welcome to the site and thanks for serving our country. we have many installers here who will give you some good advice.

hope to see you around.

i installed for over 3 years and would actually like to get back into part time... the only reason i left was because i got a federal job i couldn't refuse.
the thing i would watch when becoming an installer is make sure you are being paid a good fair competitive rate (by the job is the best).
as long as the company that you are going to work for is a good reputable company, and can keep you working it will probably work out good for ya,
but like most subcontracted work, there will be slow periods every once in a while
overall, as long as they can keep you working, and pay decent, i recommend the work.

Everything is relative, so it depends on the following factors:

1. What part of the Lower 48 are you in?

2 What are your startup costs, ie. A. Liability Insurance B. Business Licence C. B.E.A.R. Licence (California) D. Tools, Ladders and Startup Supplies Cost E. Contractors Lic (Some states requirement)

3. Contract with a CPA, and have them authorize the Contract that you are about to sign with the Installation Company. (Today, this is an absolute must in this industry, otherwise you will be burnt)

4. Have Attorney's in place, with retainer fees paid, because you will need them... I know you think this might be a joke, but it's not... It's not if, but only when somebody burns you in this Satellite Industry... Send me a private e-mail and I can provide proof... LOL

5. Most important, have enough money in the bank to tied you over for 120 days....

6. This Satellite Industry is like being at an Auction, so don't twitch your ear, unless you have followed all the above tips first... LOL

The job is in Missouri, pay per job is the situation and startup fees for me are my own tools and a truck. They train and pay for the license. The reason I was attracted to it is they say the average salary is 45000-50000 per year. He did say its seasonal but right now they are working 6 day work weeks and from what I understand the slowdown may be a couple of months in the winter. I have a military pension coming so as long as I bank that throughout the year I will be more then covered if the slow period isn't too long.
They do have their own trucks but right now they are all being used and they pay you more if you have your own. I understand I will have wear and tear but damn near everyone has a truck where I am from. They also pay a gas allowance if you drive a certain amount of miles and 50 dollars a month credit towards your cell phone bill, free DirectTV after 90 days and health benefits I wouldn't use due to my military benefits.
Anyone see some warning signs in this proposal? As far as the job, I assume most installs are basic and every now and then you would run into some tough ones. The good thing is I go to the office once a week for a team meeting and to pick up equipment and the rest of the week they fax my jobs for the next day to my house. I also would be the only installer that actually lives in this particular area that they cover and I can get on the base with my retirement credentials vs having to get a pass and wait for the individual customers to sign me on for every job. Unless I am totally off it seems like being in this area vs having to send installers from far away and pay them gas allowance I should be fairly busy with install jobs for the most part.

If ypou are still under 50 years old, it maybe still a O.K. for you, but iof you are over 50, think twice before get in this field. I am fifty something and I am looking out, if the company does pay your materials, I would say go ahead and work sometime and see if this will work for you. If they don't, then I suggest you look other field.

Ask them if you can go on a ride along with one of their senior techs. See how old the senior tech is, I'm betting he's in his twenties. If they supply materials, sounds like a good deal. Just out of curiousity, what did they sya their pay rates were?? The $40 to $50k is probably working 6 days a week 12 to 14 hours a day.

Hmm, well I havent seen a slow down in 2 years now working as a direct employeed technician for dish. I should clear $50,000 this year if the hours continue to go as they are and thats with only working 14 days a month on an hourly pay rate with all the benefits you could hope to have. Start up cost doesnt even factor into being employeed by dish wich is another bonus, they provide tools, uniforms, and vehicle along with training. Directv is now also using theyr own installation department seperate from sub contracted installers so if you would prefer to stay with directv then you can go through the process of applying at theyr webstie. Another perk you will find working for the company itsself is advancement wich with your military background will come very quickly.

i also installed in missouri, and we stayed pretty busy most of the time, we did direct, and dish...
if they are providing the materials... wire, connectors, ect. it should be a pretty good job

wobbie said:
Ask them if you can go on a ride along with one of their senior techs. See how old the senior tech is, I'm betting he's in his twenties. If they supply materials, sounds like a good deal. Just out of curiousity, what did they sya their pay rates were?? The $40 to $50k is probably working 6 days a week 12 to 14 hours a day.

Geez, I am only 38 :) The training is 3 weeks, 1 classroom and two weeks of ride along. They provide materials, I provide tools and from what I understand the pay per job averages 30 something to 50 a job, plus the gas allowance and cell phone allowance.
Curious about the guy posting working for Dish. This company is Ironwood Communications and they do Direct install so apparantly in this area Direct is still using contracted installers. They are really busy at the moment anyhow. Working 6 and then 5 day work weeks alternatively. Maybe I will look into Dish as well. Do they train?
Thanks for all the input from everyone. Its a huge decision to turn in the military uniform and get a real job :)

i currently work for dish nets rsp in toledo oh area. close to the same deal. pay is per job, they supply truck and equip.,my tools. been doing this for 3 years now, last year made a little over 48000 working mostly 5 days per week

Dishnetwork goes as follows for direct employeed.

Payrate for unexperienced starts at around $10.50 an hour.

6 weeks of training with one day each week in a classroom and the rest on the road.

Tools are provided and replaced when broken, uniforms are provided each year, vehicle is provided, the work week is 4 on 3 off / 3 on 4 off, overtime is available in most dns locations, out of market work usually ends up being 2 weeks minimum allowing for considerable overtime.

Benefits:
Medical, dental, optical, 401k match at 5 years, short term/long term, tuition reimbursement, sales partner program ( discounts on products such as apple computers, ford motor company ect ect ) free basic programing, free equipment, 2 weeks paid vacation first and second year, 3 weeks paid vacation third year and up, vacation time starts acruing after your certification, advancement opportunities, relocation opportunities, bonus programs of various types, national recognition for top achievers, christmas bonus generaly equal to a months gross pay, yearly cost of living pay increase,

I know Im forgetting something somewhere but thats the jist of it, if you go to dishnetworks website click the link about us and on the upper left is a link for job openings. The job openings page will list all locations by city and state, any location that does not list a dns department is not installations.

Ironwood is a Home Service Provider for DTV. Anytime you call them directly, you will have an HSP technician installing for you.

I guess if you figured a typical install of 2 TV's takes roughly 2 hours. You're making $25-$30 an hour that is pretty decent pay for just starting out in any field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)