Pros/Cons of Dish vs U-verse

Roxor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Indiana
I had to call AT&T today about by account (landline, DSL, and Dish). The CSR (American) tried to talk me out of Dish. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of Dish versus U-Verse? He was promising me a savings of $50/mo for a year and free installation and several DVR receivers. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

I got Uverse for faster internet, but tried the TV. I'm content with Dish, but would have switched if I thought uverse TV was better. I kept Dish.

When I called to cancel the TV they gave me a $150 credit to stay a little longer. Called a couple of days later and cancelled anyway (told them I probably would). Between the promos and that last credit I ended up with about $100 more credit than I spent for the first couple of months.

Can't say enough good about the UVerse installer though. He did everything right with no shortcuts. It was a much better experience than I ever had with a Dish install. If you try it, tell them not to mess with the Dish setup and they will run new cat5e wherever you have a TV.

See:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...s/239762-need-current-dish-vs-directv-vs.html

Uverse doesn't have RFD-TV...No "Hee Haw". Deal breaker for me. Also, Uverse -- IMHO -- really is not that great of a value. However, I have a friend who had DirecTV for many years and dropped them for Uverse. He loves it.

Most members here who have tried Uverse (while keeping Dish to make sure they like it) have canceled within a few days. HD PQ is biggest complaint, as well as limited HD streams.

We had DirecTV (starting in the mid-90s), Dish, and then back to Diwrecked and changed to U-Verse last spring and use the internet (had cable internet before) and TV only from U-verse. It must be a local thing as we have better PQ from ATT than what D* had and loads more channels of 24/7 HD offerings. Also, if you are into the premium channels ATT locally has all that I have ever heard of readily available, much unlike D* and from what I remember E*.

ATT has a fully working whole house DVR system, as well. The limitation of it that bugs me is that you can only record 4 shows at once and only 3 of them can be HD recordings. The ATT (Cisco) DVR we have is not anywhere as fully-featured those offered by E* & D*, but you cannot do true sharing on E* and from my attempts to use that of D* was a klugey mess, IMO.

Not sure where you are in IN, so YMMV, check with neighbors as it also depends on how far you are from the access points, from what I have heard (am close to mine, so no problems here.)

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

For me, the only big advantage to Uverse, FiOS, and cable service is the superior Video On Demand services that allow immediate high quality streaming of TV shows and movies. That would be great, and I could have used such services a number of times.

Having said that, I still stick with Dish for price/value, among most HD channels of any service, lots of other channels available, superior DVR and associated technologies such as the external HDD archiving that has really been VERY useful to me, and good deals on upgrades and access to the Executive level CSR's to solve problems if the regular CSR's are out of options. Oh, and I do like the HD PQ. The SD PQ is abominable. But I watch mostly HD these days.

The only issue that I have with Uverse is that the minute you tell them you have Dish, the CSR's will say anything (including lying) to try to get you to switch.

I had my 80 yea old neighbor on the phone to order U-verse internet, and was going to keep his DISH Network.

I finally had to tell the girl if she tries to sell them U-verse TV and switch him from DISH one more time, I was hanging up and was going to call back and order through a different rep.

I switched to uverse DSL and had TV for a month. I have a 612 streaming HD to 2 rooms and a 722 with HD in one room and SD to other coax outlets. My dish setup was much better then Uverse. better PQ, better DVR, better HD choices, and cheaper. I dumped Uverse TV

The U-Verse HD Stream limitation (2-3) is a deal killer for me. I have 3 HDTV's and 3 622's (Soon to be 3 722k's).

Love the internet (18/1.5), but not enough HD streams.

I also have the VOIP phone through them. Works good.

The biggest problem with U-verse is you don't know exactly what level of video service you will get until they come and hook it up. The end result depends greatly on the length and quality of the phone line between your home and the cabinet on the street or office where the video is delivered. This often means you won't get as many HD streams as advertised.

AT&T cheaped out with Uverse vs Verizon's FIOS where Uverse uses the old legacy phone line to deliver the service to the home.

I advise you to check out UverseUsers.com - Home and see what other Uverse users think of the service. Sometimes asking at a Satellite Site which is better might seam biased.

I have had both a few times and am much happier with Satellite, but that's just me. :)

Thanks Scott for the link and to the other members for their responses. I asked the question here as I know from following the different threads that many members that post here have Dish, Direct and U-verse and/or a combination of them. Also, the members here seem to be very knowledgeable regardless of what service they have.

My "access point" for my U-Verse would be about 800' as the crow flies, so I would think the PQ and such would be the best AT&T could provide. My biggest concern is the quality of the Cat 5e signal as I have had all kinds of problems with my current DSL connection.

I guess I will stick with Dish for the time being. Thanks again everyone!!!

If you are having trouble with DSL you would probably have problems with UVERSE as well since it is a VDSL based service.

Not necessarily. I think they do a much better job of verifying line quality with Uverse vs adsl.

Prior to UVerse my parents had had consistent DSL problems, called ATT out a couple of time, it all supposedly check out fine, and never was really fixed.

With the UVerse "pre-install" to check the line, the outside tech showed up about 8am, didn't finish until after 4pm. Obviuosly the existing pairs were not adequate and he had to work it out.