Prospective new DirecTV Subscriber

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
The MSG Debacle on Dish Network has me looking into DirecTV. I have a few questions. I'm interested in the HDDVR. I love my Dish 722 receiver as it affords me the luxury of recorded multiple streams both Satellite and OTA at the same time. If I get the additional AM-21 tuner for the DirecTV HDDVR can it record more than 2 streams at a time (2 Satellite and 1 or 2 OTA streams)?

Thanks in advance.
John

The MSG Debacle on Dish Network has me looking into DirecTV. I have a few questions. I'm interested in the HDDVR. I love my Dish 722 receiver as it affords me the luxury of recorded multiple streams both Satellite and OTA at the same time. If I get the additional AM-21 tuner for the DirecTV HDDVR can it record more than 2 streams at a time (2 Satellite and 1 or 2 OTA streams)?

Thanks in advance.
John
722k to the HR IMO is a Big ajustment. Pray for the HR24, Better yet Get a swm install, that will increase your chances.:)
If Hr24's weren't going to cost me $200 a Piece, I'd have 3 of them, and my HR23 would be shipped out faster then ever.
I miss the 722k Big time, But I don't miss Dish Network.:)

The HR24 will record only two things at a time no extra OTA recording. I just switched and really miss that part of the 722. I do however have 2 HR24's (with MRV) so it will be a rare thing to not be able to record what I want.

Only two streams at a time, even with the AM21 tuner. If you have multiple HD-DVRs and MRV, you may not needed though. All HD receivers can watch shows from the HD-DVRs.

Thanks in advance.
John

Everyone's pretty well covered it. I loved my 722K, with 4 streams, but I fought that with 2 HR's. Now that I have the two DVR's, and MRV, I love it. If it is in your budget, I'd recommend a MRV install with two DVR's, if you need that many tuners.

Everyone's pretty well covered it. I loved my 722K, with 4 streams, but I fought that with 2 HR's. Now that I have the two DVR's, and MRV, I love it. If it is in your budget, I'd recommend a MRV install with two DVR's, if you need that many tuners.

I currently have two dual-tuners with Dish servicing four rooms. I like this set up because all 4 TV's can pause/rewind live TV. As I understand it, the whole house DVR doesn't allow that. What is the two DVR's with MRV? Is that the same as the whole house DVR or something different? I'm trying to figure out how to get something equivalent to what I have. Thanks

Jon

Last edited:
Whichever rooms you have the DVR's in, can pause live tv of course. Whatever rooms you have a standard HD box on MRV, can only playback a recording off the HDDVR. Say, if you wanted 4 tuners for recording, and wanted ability to watch recorded shows in all 4 rooms, you'd need 2 HDDVR's and 2 HD boxes. The non DVR's can playback content off one of the DVR's in the MRV chain, but they cannot do anything with live tv, or record. They are merely just a window to recording on how many ever HDDVR's you have.

I needed 4 tuners, and only have two tv rooms, so I logically got two DVR's (2 tuners each). If I only needed 2 tuners, I woulda gotten a DVR for the Liv Room and a HD box for the Bedroom.

With MRV connected boxes, you can watch and delete off any box, from another, but only the DVR's can record. They also have not combined series links yet, so I have some timers/recordings set in the Bedroom, and some in the Liv Room.

Actually you can start a recording from a Standard HD box. If you only need to pause you can start the recording from the HD box and them begin the playback from the DVR. At that point you can pause the show. This does not help with needing to rewind to a point prior to the recording being started.

Whichever rooms you have the DVR's in, can pause live tv of course. Whatever rooms you have a standard HD box on MRV, can only playback a recording off the HDDVR. Say, if you wanted 4 tuners for recording, and wanted ability to watch recorded shows in all 4 rooms, you'd need 2 HDDVR's and 2 HD boxes. The non DVR's can playback content off one of the DVR's in the MRV chain, but they cannot do anything with live tv, or record. They are merely just a window to recording on how many ever HDDVR's you have.

I needed 4 tuners, and only have two tv rooms, so I logically got two DVR's (2 tuners each). If I only needed 2 tuners, I woulda gotten a DVR for the Liv Room and a HD box for the Bedroom.

With MRV connected boxes, you can watch and delete off any box, from another, but only the DVR's can record. They also have not combined series links yet, so I have some timers/recordings set in the Bedroom, and some in the Liv Room.

Good info! Thanks. If you have MRV and are watching channel A on the HDDVR, can you watch channel B on the HD box (tuner)?

Yeah, the box can watch any channel separately, it just cant record. You could be watching previously recorded program off the HD box in one room, watching another previously recorded program off the DVR, all while the DVR is recording two more.

With my two HDDVR's, I am able to watch one recorded program in the bed room, one recorded program in the living room, and record 4 programs, at the same time.

Good info! Thanks. If you have MRV and are watching channel A on the HDDVR, can you watch channel B on the HD box (tuner)?

Yes. The HD box is a regular receiver and can tune anything that you subscribe to.

So in your case you can watch channel A on the HD DVR, watch channel B on the HD box and record channel C on the HD DVR.

Yeah, the box can watch any channel separately, it just cant record.

You can start a recording from the HD box. If you have multiple DVR's, it will ask you what DVR you want to record the show on. If you only have one DVR it will start the recording on that DVR.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I don't think I've ever visited a forum with such quick responses.
Jon

Thanks in advance.
John

John, if I were you, I would take Time Warner up on one of those sweet heart suck you in bundles, like the triple play for $99. In my case at least, there was no contract to sign, no commitment on my part but a pricing guarantee on theirs for 2 years. I took them up on it last year, in hopes Charlie and company would wake up and make the deals with MSG, YES, MLB and now Fox and ESPN; and if so I could switch right back with no fees.

Basically it has given me two to make my mind up about going to Directv, sticking with cable or going back to Dish. However that Dish option looks pretty bleak, whereas I have become very spoiled with the HD versions of MSG's (Sabres) and YES (Yankees).

After having satellite hardware, Id never go back to cable. Id go to Dish first.

Well that is fine, but he would lock himself into a two year contract with Directv, where this way there would be no lock in, and if Dish woke up got their act together he could back to his preferred provider for no fees.

Many of the cable co's are now requiring 24 month contracts (Comcast and Mediacom here) so they are catching on. Also, I think once a person goes to Directv, their preferred provider matters less. It's not like one is a huge revelation from the other.

722k to the HR IMO is a Big ajustment. Pray for the HR24, Better yet Get a swm install, that will increase your chances.:)
If Hr24's weren't going to cost me $200 a Piece, I'd have 3 of them, and my HR23 would be shipped out faster then ever.
I miss the 722k Big time, But I don't miss Dish Network.:)

Wait, I thought new subscribers get the HR24? I just ordered a 4 room setup with the "HD DVR whatever" unit because I'm switching from Dish. Every picture on Direct's website shows an HR24.
Are you saying that the installer can show up with a 2 year old unit and be valid on installing it? Can I tell them to kick rocks until they bring an HR24?

Also what is a SWM?

Wait, I thought new subscribers get the HR24? I just ordered a 4 room setup with the "HD DVR whatever" unit because I'm switching from Dish. Every picture on Direct's website shows an HR24.
Are you saying that the installer can show up with a 2 year old unit and be valid on installing it? Can I tell them to kick rocks until they bring an HR24?

Also what is a SWM?

I hate to say it but the answer is yes to the older equipment. It all depends on what type of equipment the local installation company has in stock. They often install refurbished equipment. You do have every right to ask what is going to be installed and if you are not happy refuse the installation. I am pretty sure that most of the new installations all have SWM as part of the installation. The way to make sure you get SWM is to sign up for the whole home dvr as well.

I hate to say it but the answer is yes to the older equipment. It all depends on what type of equipment the local installation company has in stock. They often install refurbished equipment. You do have every right to ask what is going to be installed and if you are not happy refuse the installation. I am pretty sure that most of the new installations all have SWM as part of the installation. The way to make sure you get SWM is to sign up for the whole home dvr as well.

What happens if we refuse installation? Will D* allow us to reschedule for another time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)