Prospective new DirecTV Subscriber

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can refuse install, you can also tell them you will reschedule every time until the installer brings HR24s, as pictured on the site. If you make it clear to the installer they will get it right, because you won't allow anything else to be installed. Just be very clear on this up front first thing when he arrives. First question, what receivers do you have on the truck.

Here is my experience with getting an HR24. I originally signed up on the website so I had no way to contact the installer. The installer called me 30 mins before arrival. I asked him if he had an HR24 with him. He did not. I asked if it was possible for him to get one. He took an extra hour of his time to get one for me. Needles to say I have him a fair tip for it.
Also SWM installs are very picky about the coax lines in your house. My house is only 6 years old, yet I had two bad lines that were shorting out. The installer suspected the staple guns cut into the lines. This isn't a problem with a normal cable or non SWM. SWM was sensitive enough to let me know I had a problem so they had to run new lines outside of the house. I'm not thrilled, but it was something that "had" to be done if I wanted D*.

Also, the picture quality from what I can tell with HD is tons better than Dish. But I did notice standard def looks worse, but that could have been the channel I was watching, E!. The Soup was on. Who carries that channel in HD anyway? I have yet to know of a carrier that does.

Here is my experience with getting an HR24. I originally signed up on the website so I had no way to contact the installer. The installer called me 30 mins before arrival. I asked him if he had an HR24 with him. He did not. I asked if it was possible for him to get one. He took an extra hour of his time to get one for me. Needles to say I have him a fair tip for it.

Very good. I will do the same - tell him up front I want a HR24 and tip accordingly if it inconveniences him. Then we all win.

I'm going through the debate right now of switching to D* as well. The last thing I am hung up on that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is the limit of 2 recordings per DVR at once. That's easy enough to get around - get 2 HD DVR's and I am set.

What I am still stuck on though is say I want to record 3 shows at the same time. My understanding is I would have to set 2 timers on 1 of the DVR's and 1 on the other. There is no way to set all my timers on the main DVR and let the system prioritize and use all 4 tuners at once.

I'd be really interested in hearing from former VIP722 users.... how are you dealing with this? Do you just set half your timers on 1 and half on the other? It seems like that would be a huge pain - am I wrong there?

HR24 is not as good as Vip 722k. HR24 is faster then any other DTV dvr but still crap compare to Vip 722k. DTV needs to catch up with DISH's dvr.

HR24 is not as good as Vip 722k. HR24 is faster then any other DTV dvr but still crap compare to Vip 722k. DTV needs to catch up with DISH's dvr.

GEE WIZ, thanks for giving specifics!!!!

I just came from a 622 (smaller hard drive, not black compared to the 722) and I would disagree. The search function of the hr24 is superior, organizing subscribed shows is easier along with changing recording options. With Dish I would have to delete and re-sub a program to change certain options.
The other problem with dish was if you had two TVs on one DVR you were stuck watching a program if the tuner you were watching was recording a program. The hr24 doesn't lock out a TV when recording a program.
You can't network two 622/722s together like the H24 and each 722 unit can only display one HD television at a time where the HR24 can display 13 or 15 at a time if you wanted to (kinda silly to though).

The only thing I like about the 622/722 better is the remote and the listing of channels from highest to lowest.
I was a Dish customer for 3 years and this is my experience in a single 24 hour period with DirectTV

I'm going through the debate right now of switching to D* as well. The last thing I am hung up on that is preventing me from pulling the trigger is the limit of 2 recordings per DVR at once. That's easy enough to get around - get 2 HD DVR's and I am set.

What I am still stuck on though is say I want to record 3 shows at the same time. My understanding is I would have to set 2 timers on 1 of the DVR's and 1 on the other. There is no way to set all my timers on the main DVR and let the system prioritize and use all 4 tuners at once.

I'd be really interested in hearing from former VIP722 users.... how are you dealing with this? Do you just set half your timers on 1 and half on the other? It seems like that would be a huge pain - am I wrong there?

I'm also a "switcher" and we make heavy use of DVR functionality here. I had to plan out how to do it with the HR24s, but I got one for bedroom and one for living room and it's going to work out.

No, there is no central DVR. You have to schedule each DVR independently, but once done, both DVRs will be able to see the combined list of recordings and watch them regardless of where they were recorded.

A lot of what we DVR and watch is network programming. I'll have my OTA antenna going to the TV directly so if the DVR is bussy with 2 recordings at once, we can just watch OTA programming. I realize this isn't everyone's ideal solution, but it works for us.

AekaGSR said:
Also SWM installs are very picky about the coax lines in your house. My house is only 6 years old, yet I had two bad lines that were shorting out. The installer suspected the staple guns cut into the lines. This isn't a problem with a normal cable or non SWM. SWM was sensitive enough to let me know I had a problem so they had to run new lines outside of the house. I'm not thrilled, but it was something that "had" to be done if I wanted D*.

Also, the picture quality from what I can tell with HD is tons better than Dish. But I did notice standard def looks worse, but that could have been the channel I was watching, E!. The Soup was on. Who carries that channel in HD anyway? I have yet to know of a carrier that does.

Dish carries E! In HD.

I have a TiVo. Also, read into cablecard and switched digital video fun. Plus no on demand, granted I hear the newer ones handle that, or will. No thanks, cable in my area sucks.
Same Here, My cable company doesn't fully support the Tivo boxes.

I won't get any interactive features or VOD using the Tivo Box.

But now they offer the option to upgrade your hardrive with use of the External Hard drive. So thats good I guess.

That is better, Comcast and Mediacom do not offer EHD support here. Like I've said before, If I could not get Directv, Id use Dish. I'd rather have either sat service than cable.

That is better, Comcast and Mediacom do not offer EHD support here. Like I've said before, If I could not get Directv, Id use Dish. I'd rather have either sat service than cable.
Up to 750 GB so I guess that should be good. Only thing is the Charge far more then D* does on addtional boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.