Protecting hopper from surges, power outages

Kizzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Nebraska
Is anyone using battery backup for Hopper to protect from surges and outages? What are you using? How do power outages effect the Hopper?

Thanks.

Not Hopper, but my 722 is connected to a cheap 550VA battery backup. Protects against brownouts and spikes and keeps the box running a good while (at least an hour) in case of power outages.

Yep. APC line conditioners similar to the H15. Cleans up the power as well as battery backup. Helped a lot with voltage sags I had until I ran an extra power line.

Reactions: JSheridan
at one point dish suggested the equipment be plugged into a wall, no strips/protectors/ect
did this finally change?

Reactions: bspei
I've been using this UPS with my TV and Dish receivers, including the H3, for years....

Amazon product ASIN B0019804U8
Also, for low draw appliances like the Hopper, there really is no functional difference in runtime between the 350VA and 550VA units. For instance, if they both have the same battery capacity (12V, 7.2ah), then a 60-watt load would last for about 1.44 hours.

Dish recommends against them bt many here swear by them.They do stop recordings from being chopped up by a reboot caused by a momentary outage.

Dish recommends against them bt many here swear by them.They do stop recordings from being chopped up by a reboot caused by a momentary outage.

Just curious, where did you get that information? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing that before.

I have an APC 1250 that I use with mine. We have frequent power blips where we live. The UPS keeps recordings intact and saves us from waiting through a long reboot, which can be most annoying, especially with two minutes left in the fourth quarter of a big game.

It's only happened a couple times, but you should see the look on people's faces when the power goes out but the TV stays on!

Just curious, where did you get that information? I don't recall ever seeing or hearing that before.

it used to be a standard question when you called in for support
"is the receiver on a ups/surge protector?"

"please remove it and plug it into the wall"

I was told that more than once by phone techs

Reactions: Peter Parker
I've been using the APC S10 power conditioner for several years. It produces a pure sine wave so as to not stress any circuitry.
I've also heard that Dish recommends against using these but have dismissed their recommendations since those people are full of misinformation.

It was probably mentioned from the many times when people have complained about random receiver issues and one of the Dish reps asks if the receiver is attached to a power strip or UPS, and to try plugging directly into a wall outlet as a troubleshooting step.

If you have been around here for awhile you have seen a fair number of threads like this and there is usually at least one person that brings up the favtt hat tech res and may installers are often quite adamant about plugging directly into the wall. Personally I recognize that an UPS or strip can go bad and plugging into the wall is one way to troubleshoot but I think that an UPS is quite useful

I use CyberPower 1500PFCLCD on my three TVs (One H3 and 2 Joey2.0). Previously I used APC 1500. On another I use and older TrippLite. The reason I use them is the obvious... power surge, outages and brownouts. The reason I use CyberPower is that the cost and life of the APC batteries was too costly... $100 each and one to two years life. I can buy a new CyberPower UPS for a bit more than the APC replacement battery and the CyberPowers all take the same 8.5 AH battery for about $30.

I have always kept my receiver plugged into a surge protector. I would rather not have to replace it when the power surges due to power failures and then the power is restored.

**I also learned something after having my three year old washing machine repaired. All the newer washers have a mother board in them that is like a computer. If you keep your washing machine plugged into a single outlet surge protector ( picked it up at Walmart for $14.00) , it will protect your washing machine as well. I had my outside a/c unit replaced in July and we kept having to turn off the power to the master breaker and back on , while they were working on it . After turning it back on the washer started having each cycle fail , one by one till we were down to one cycle that we could use. After the repair man came made the call and one week later he came back and replaced the mother board , he said all washers now need to be plugged into a surge protector or this will keep happening. So I learned this lesson for $222. 26 + $97.89 diagnostic fee=$320.15. I give all of you the lesson for FREE.:bigok

I'll go put my washer and dryer on surge protectors now. Not UPSes.

For electronics, I'd avoid the cheapest UPS units.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Never had a problem with APC or Cyberpower brand units, even the lowest ("cheapest") models 350VA or 550VA. For the equipment I'm protecting and the wattage load, it's overkill and overspending to get much more than that for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts