Please reply by conversation.

mackie99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 28, 2007
Sunny Southern California
I received this email from DirecTV yesterday. Has anyone else received this? Is this old news?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We heard your feedback and have added several great new improvements to the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN as a result, including an equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge. (Offer requires a renewed 24-month agreement.)* Effective May 16, 2013, the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN will increase by $2 per month to $7.99. We're sure you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for these great new benefits. For a list of benefits, see chart below.

Because you have had the Plan for less than one year, you will receive a $2 credit on your monthly bill, which will keep your price at only $5.99 per month. The $2 credit will appear on your bill after May 16, 2013 and will end once you have completed your initial 12-month period on the Plan.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
If you would like more information about upgrading your equipment, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 on or after May 16, 2013 and reference "upgrade my equipment" in our automated phone system.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
You get even more protection and better benefits^

NEW BENEFIT: Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge.

NEW BENEFIT: Unintentional and accidental damage from handling of the DIRECTV System.

And of course, you continue to get:

On-site repairs and the cost associated with replacing defective equipment.

Protection for every DIRECTV Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna and wiring, plus dish antenna realignment.

24-hour technical support, 7 days a week.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV and Asurion Service Plans, Inc., Your DIRECTV Plan provider
[/FONT]

i'm almost priced out of directv after the last couple years of price increases. so not only did my programming go up, my dvr and protection plan also increased, ridiculous. and didn't we already qualify for a free upgrade every 2 years, i thought that was the strategy to keep you locked up in contract.

That sounds pretty awesome deal ... I wonder how long you have to have PP to get the free upgrade??

That's a good question. The next thing I wonder if all receivers are included or only a select few.

Ex. Will someone be able to upgrade free to the HR44 when its released or will they say not included.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

That's a good question. The next thing I wonder if all receivers are included or only a select few.

Ex. Will someone be able to upgrade free to the HR44 when its released or will they say not included.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I doubt it it will probably be for HR2x receivers only, unless you're eligible for free upgrade, but it won't be because of PP, there is always a catch:)

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I thought that the charge for the PP was already at 7.99 ?

Fwiw, they hope you upgrade so they have you in another 2 year commitment of course.

I still think it's ridiculous that you have to keep having a commitment whenever you upgrade your equipment.

I have often been critical of DTV on this forum and on some occasions have threatened to drop the service. I can now get MLB Extra Innings through Comcast and I think the annual nickel and dime increases have finally pushed me over the line. A year ago I never would have even thought this was a possibility, but I am now seriously thinking that it is time to quit paying DTV my monthly $175 to $265 a month. You can only watch one thing at a time and if what I am watching is entertaining, then I am happy. It's time to do some serious number crunching.

Not everybody can do thier own repair work ...

You don't have to do your own repair work.. you just have to gamble that over that same 12 year period, the repairs you would have needed would cost less than $960 and pay for each repair as needed.

Protection plans, such as this, are almost never a good deal for the consumer.

You don't have to do your own repair work.. you just have to gamble that over that same 12 year period, the repairs you would have needed would cost less than $960 and pay for each repair as needed.

Protection plans, such as this, are almost never a good deal for the consumer.

I was with Dish and then DirecTV for 14 years. Never subscribed to a protection plan and never had a service call or equipment failure. Saved hundreds of dollars.

These plans are an incredible profit for the companies. If 10M people sign up for them, that's an annual income stream of $840M. They would probably pay out about $100M to $200M tops for providing services.

I was with Dish and then DirecTV for 14 years. Never subscribed to a protection plan and never had a service call or equipment failure. Saved hundreds of dollars.

These plans are an incredible profit for the companies. If 10M people sign up for them, that's an annual income stream of $840M. They would probably pay out about $100M to $200M tops for providing services.

14 years with D* and you never had a recvr issue, rplcd or break down ?

You should go out right now and play the Lottery.

14 years with D* and you never had a recvr issue, rplcd or break down ?

You should go out right now and play the Lottery.

When the H20-600s first came out I went through three of them before I got one that didn't overheat. Other than that, I haven't had an issue with any Direct equipment.

When the H20-600s first came out I went through three of them before I got one that didn't overheat. Other than that, I haven't had an issue with any Direct equipment.

But you've upgraded over the years, right ?

Thats also linked to the PP. (although it's very small)

I still have one H20-600. It works fine, no need to change it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts