Protection Plan / New Receiver Upgrade Questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shinner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hi folks...been ages since I posted here (probably last time I had a receiver go bad...or before I gave up on trying to figure out Philadelphia sports teams blackouts). Anyway, I've seen the push for the Protection Plan on commercials and I believe I also got a message on the receivers about it. Have to say the free receiver upgrade seems to be the most attractive thing about the basic plan...so it's got my attention.

Currently I have two receivers, a HR21-100 (Bedroom) & a HR20-100 (Living-room). The network port on the HR20 seems to have given up the ghost but otherwise is ok (every once in a blue moon I have to pull the power to reset it if the guide goes goofy or other anomalies occur). The HR21 in the bedroom works fine, no network (or any other) issues to speak of.

My question about the protection plan is, once you sign up, when is the upgrade available? Surely you don't have to wait until the end of your new 2 year agreement, right?

Supposing I go ahead with the PP and the equipment upgrade...what would you suggest? Obviously I should replace the HR20 as it's limited due to the bad ethernet port, but what about the HR21? I feel like I should be looking at the Genie receiver and from what I've read (quickly) in the forum, I want to avoid the HR34 and get the HR44. First, is that possible under the PP (i.e. requesting and accepting the HR44) and if so, will the HR21 work with the HR44 with regard to whole-home DVR? I've seen other threads where people have been recommended to keep older receivers because "why lose a tuner if you don't have to". My question with regard to that is, does that advise apply to the HR21 (I'm thinking it may be too old to play nice...maybe the HR24 is needed?)

Wow, that's a lot of questions. Hope it's all understandable!

Thanks...

I had to have a tech come out because of freezing issues twice. I had just gotten the protection plan. Dude swapped my HR-34 for a HR 44 with no issue and I wasnt charged for it. Whats really funny is when I had called tech support I asked about swapping it out for the 44 and she said that I would have to pay the full price for one. All I know is I didnt get charged for the 44.

As far as adding the pp and getting your upgrade depends how long it's been since your last free equipment offer. If it's only been a year you have a year to wait. You get a new upgrade every 2 years even without the pp. I would suggest calling in and asking for EBG and see what offers they have. They change daily!

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think you need to have the PP for 2 years to get a free Genie, you could upgrade to an HR24 after 2 years with Directv but then you would have to wait 2 more years to get your Genie. However as a long time customer they may just upgrade you to a Genie based on that alone. Call them a few times and see what they can offer you. I've had the PP for a long time and called and asked for the upgrade they sent a tech the next day with an HR44.

As far as adding the pp and getting your upgrade depends how long it's been since your last free equipment offer. If it's only been a year you have a year to wait. You get a new upgrade every 2 years even without the pp. I would suggest calling in and asking for EBG and see what offers they have. They change daily!

Think it's been at least 2-3 years since I got new hardware, so I'll have to give them a call and see what the story is.

I think you need to have the PP for 2 years to get a free Genie, you could upgrade to an HR24 after 2 years with Directv but then you would have to wait 2 more years to get your Genie. However as a long time customer they may just upgrade you to a Genie based on that alone. Call them a few times and see what they can offer you. I've had the PP for a long time and called and asked for the upgrade they sent a tech the next day with an HR44.

I have close 17-18 years with DirecTV I guess, so maybe they'll give me some kind of a deal...we'll see!

I had two free upgrades this year and last year, regardless of PP or not, But I had to talk to retention for HR44 free upgrade, H24 was also free when I added more receivers last year. It all depends on years of service and bill payments history. Retention can do more than regular CSR's but YMMV.

You should be eligible for the upgrade through PP whenever your current contract expires. If you have 2 months left on your current contract when you enroll in PP, then in 2 months you can ask for your upgrade and sign a new 2 year contract. In my case I signed up for PP in June, but current agreement is up in Feb, so my upgrade date is Feb. If you are already out of contract and having equipment issues,they may very well give you all new equipment with or without PP.
As far as the HR21 working with whole home/Genie, when you upgrade, they will upgrade your whole system to SWiM and it will work fine. With SWiM , you'll no longer need to worry about the ethernet port on the back of the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)