Protection Plan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tron2012

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
IL Suburbs
Wondering the value of keeping the protection plan or dropping. Any advice? How much would it cost if I had a Hopper or Joey go bad to replace it (on a lease now, do not own equipment)? Solid on the wiring and dish, etc... so do not foresee any issues with wiring or networking. Been with the equipment about 18 months now and not sure with the Hopper how much the "average" lifespan is. Assuming a Joey can last a lot longer with less moving parts. With my older equipment it would last for a pretty long time. Thanks.

I dropped the protection years ago, and last month my Hopper with sling's hard drive went bad. It cost $15 to ship the replacement. So with leased equipment I do not see any reason to have the protection plan, and if needed it can always be added.

With leased receivers DISH will replace them because they own them but you will be liable for a shipping charge. Protection Plan will cover that shipping charge on receivers and covers the rest of your owned parts . But as derrengs said you can add it at any time and it will cover problems, there is an early termination fee.

Uou can always add it when there is a problem. Then drop it. You can wait the mandatory period or as above pay a termination fee. It makes no sense to keep paying it. Multiply the monthly cost by how long you've been with Dish and see what it is.

If the replacement shipping cost is your only concern, forget it!

If you add it and want to remove it within 180 days they will charge $30.

Wait a minute here. I recently added the PP because Dish replaced my 722... $7 X 6 months = $42. Why would anybody wait 180 days rather than cancelling it immediately?

Edited to add: Oops. Matt tells me the PP is $8/mo. So that's $48, and even more reason to cancel and pay the $30.

Wait a minute here. I recently added the PP because Dish replaced my 722... $7 X 6 months = $42. Why would anybody wait 180 days rather than cancelling it immediately?

Edited to add: Oops. Matt tells me the PP is $8/mo. So that's $48, and even more reason to cancel and pay the $30.
Because maybe it's just old carryover advice from when the PP was only $7 (maybe $6 from my failing memory) and it was only required to be kept for 4 months and canceling was $25.

Also, what happens if the reason you used the protection plan isn't resolved right away? Two $30 cancellation fees would be more than keeping it for 6 months. If I were me (which I am), I'd keep it at least a month or two to make sure the proposed fix actually fixes it.

If I were me (which I am), I'd keep it at least a month or two to make sure the proposed fix actually fixes it.

OK, but... $30 cacellation fee plus $16 for two months of the protection plan works out to $46. I need to cancel immediately or I might as well just wait it out. Except that I'm forgetful. :(

I do not have the protection plan and today had a hopper go bad. I asked if they would have the $15 fee as it is a replacement, that gladly did.
Did not want to say, 'cause every one is responsible for their own business, but so did I, a couple of weeks ago. NEVER HURTS TO ASK, a mantra that has served me well MANY times, regardless of company/situation. Amazes me how many people either are afraid to, or have too much pride.

I always recommend asking to waive it. If they say no, then atleast you asked. Most the time they will say yes, so it makes asking worth it. It is just the way it is, everyone knows I am a supported of Dish, but if Dish is going to ask for me to pay something, I might say no, will likely say yes, so I expect the same courtesy in return. Neither side needs to get upset over the answer or go in with expectations, but always nice when nice things happen.

Reactions: KAB
OK, but... $30 cacellation fee plus $16 for two months of the protection plan works out to $46. I need to cancel immediately or I might as well just wait it out. Except that I'm forgetful. :(
I'm forgetful too, but since with electronic billing I see my bill balance in an email every month, I'd be reminded. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
If you do not have the protection plan and need a tech visit there will be a flat rate fee of $95. If you have the protection plan then it is $10 but seems to get waived most times. I've heard plenty of stories where people did not have the protection plan but were still able to get a free tech visit. I myself think the protection plan is a waste of money.

I think the PP is good for some cases. Plead your case, and try to get it free. If they say no, add it, and get the tech visit waived at that point(I can almost guarantee it will get waived every time), then remove it on the scheduled date. Hell, for the forgetfulness, get integrated. Put a note in your calender on your phone and have it remind you. That's what I learned at the TBI clinic. Works so far. But outside of that scenario, I agree, it is a waste of money. I guess it just depends on how you look at everything. Not really a wrong answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)