Hopper 2 External Hard drives.

mej0707

Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Florida
I have a Hopper and 3 Joey's. Up to approx 2-3 month ago, I had 2 External Hard Drives working! Was there a software update? Dish Tech support says this should NOT be working, but I had it working. My movies were on external 1, my daughters were on external 2.

What is the MAX HD size that I can use for EHD? Is it still 2TB?

Now I am told this is not possible. Can you guys help and shed some light on this?

Most importantly don't believe the CSR for anything. :)
You can use as many EHD's as you want to, obviously one at a time. Some people even have them hooked up all the time with a switch to go to whatever hardrive they want to.

What do you mean exactly by now it isn't working. What happens when you plug them in?

I have seen this happen when two EHDs are connected via a SOME non-powered USB hubs. Only one will show.

Try unplugging (power) the missing drive for a few minutes then plugging it back in again. If a pop up appears on the screen saying that the drive was recognized then your problem is fixed, at least for a while. You can also try re-booting the receiver. I've had to do these things many times to get the Hopper to see both drives again. I do have to say it is much more stable now than in the past.

I have had the 2 EHD's plugged directly in to the Hopper. No Sling, just regular Hopper. Drives are WD and self powered. As I mentioned before, this was all working with no problems for almost 2 years. I have rebooted, powered cycled and reset drives. But nothing seems to work. The GOOD news is that I am ordering another Hopper to add to my system, so I will now have 2 of them and will be able to plug my 2nd drive into this one and see if that works. If not, I will keep working towards a resolution. I will keep everyone posted too. Thanks!

The Hopper will recognize 2 ehd' at a time. They both should be self powered. I have mine going thru a hub. Also attached to the hub is the ota dongle and a cooling mat.
The Hopper will recognize a 3 tb ehd. I just hooked a WD My Book 3 tb drive up.

I have 2 EHDs (both 2TBs) hooked to a HWS and it has happened to me once. I had to reboot the receiver, and pulled the plugs on both EHDs then plugged them back in. When everything came back, everything was back and working fine.