Hopper 2 External Hard drives.

mej0707

Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Florida
I have a Hopper and 3 Joey's. Up to approx 2-3 month ago, I had 2 External Hard Drives working! Was there a software update? Dish Tech support says this should NOT be working, but I had it working. My movies were on external 1, my daughters were on external 2.

What is the MAX HD size that I can use for EHD? Is it still 2TB?

Now I am told this is not possible. Can you guys help and shed some light on this?

Most importantly don't believe the CSR for anything. :)
You can use as many EHD's as you want to, obviously one at a time. Some people even have them hooked up all the time with a switch to go to whatever hardrive they want to.

What do you mean exactly by now it isn't working. What happens when you plug them in?

I have seen this happen when two EHDs are connected via a SOME non-powered USB hubs. Only one will show.

Try unplugging (power) the missing drive for a few minutes then plugging it back in again. If a pop up appears on the screen saying that the drive was recognized then your problem is fixed, at least for a while. You can also try re-booting the receiver. I've had to do these things many times to get the Hopper to see both drives again. I do have to say it is much more stable now than in the past.

I have had the 2 EHD's plugged directly in to the Hopper. No Sling, just regular Hopper. Drives are WD and self powered. As I mentioned before, this was all working with no problems for almost 2 years. I have rebooted, powered cycled and reset drives. But nothing seems to work. The GOOD news is that I am ordering another Hopper to add to my system, so I will now have 2 of them and will be able to plug my 2nd drive into this one and see if that works. If not, I will keep working towards a resolution. I will keep everyone posted too. Thanks!

The Hopper will recognize 2 ehd' at a time. They both should be self powered. I have mine going thru a hub. Also attached to the hub is the ota dongle and a cooling mat.
The Hopper will recognize a 3 tb ehd. I just hooked a WD My Book 3 tb drive up.

I have 2 EHDs (both 2TBs) hooked to a HWS and it has happened to me once. I had to reboot the receiver, and pulled the plugs on both EHDs then plugged them back in. When everything came back, everything was back and working fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts