PS3 and 5.1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nicmartim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
SE Nebraska
I have just recently purchased a PS3 and replaced my older Sony up-converting (HDMI) DVD player. I simply unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the DVD player and plugged it into the PS3. Well, long story short, there is now no 5.1 surround whereas there was w/ the DVD player. The HDMI is plugged directly into my Sanyo 42" LCD and coaxial into my Sony receiver w/ Dolby and DTS capabilities. I have checked every option in the PS3 and made NO changes to the receiver or TV. I currently DO get 5.1 from the TV via the Vip722 through that very same coaxial cable and receiver. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of the Blu-Ray and 5.1? Thanks in advance.

You will need to feed the audio to the receiver via an optical cable and the video to the TV via the HDMI cable. Depending on the receiver you may be able to feed the HDMI to the receiver then out from it to the TV on another HDMI cable.

The only way you are going to get 5.1 out of the PS3 is either with the HDMI or an optical cable going to the receiver as the PS3 doesn't have multi-channel (5 discreet RCA jacks) out on it, this is also one of the biggest complaints among PS3 owners.

To be honest I don't see how you can have 5.1 coming from your Vip722 if it is only going into your tv with HDMI and not the receiver with optical as well....I don't think Sanyo televisions can feed the HDMI audio back out into a receiver and maintain the 5.1

Bill

You will need to feed the audio to the receiver via an optical cable and the video to the TV via the HDMI cable. Depending on the receiver you may be able to feed the HDMI to the receiver then out from it to the TV on another HDMI cable.

The only way you are going to get 5.1 out of the PS3 is either with the HDMI or an optical cable going to the receiver as the PS3 doesn't have multi-channel (5 discreet RCA jacks) out on it, this is also one of the biggest complaints among PS3 owners.

To be honest I don't see how you can have 5.1 coming from your Vip722 if it is only going into your tv with HDMI and not the receiver with optical as well....I don't think Sanyo televisions can feed the HDMI audio back out into a receiver and maintain the 5.1

Bill

The 5.1 from the Vip722 via the Sanyo is fed to the receiver by the digital coax cable. This is the same setup, using the same HDMI cable, plugged into the same input on the TV. The ONLY thing that changed is the DVD player was swapped out for the PS3. This leads me to thinking that the PS3 might be either configured incorrectly or defective. I am running the latest firmware (3.1 I think) and have tried almost every setting in the setup menu on the PS3.

I first thought it might be an issue with DTS because i have had an issue w/ the Sanyo passing DTS through, but last nights movie was a Dolby Digital 5.1. I will keep plugging away on the PS3 and try to figure something out. Thanks for the link and info.

So you have it like this: PS3->HDMI->Sanyo(video)->Digital Coax->Receiver(audio)

You should do this: PS3->HDMI->TV AND PS3->Optical Cable->Receiver You will need to tell the PS3 to use the optical and let it wuto select your audio options from there.

What model television is that...I can't find one that will pass through 5.1 from a source other than the built in ATSC tuner in the television.

My biggest question is why? Does your receiver only have one coax connection for 5.1 sound? No optical or any other connections?

It's always better to directly to the receiver for audio IMO - in some cases, you even run the video through the receiver first, but not the other way around.

In the end I connected the PS3 via optical cable. The reason behind wanting the Sanyo to pass the digital audio is twofold. First having to switch the receiver to a different output setting depending on what is being watched is easy enough for us with tech knowledge, but for some in the family asks a bit much. Second, it worked splendidly with the Sony DVD player, why does it not work now? I got the digital audio to work now but the underlying question still lingers. Thanks for all the input. :)

..., but for some in the family asks a bit much. .
I have the same issue,
One suggestion is use a harmony remote that just does all the switching for you, and if you get a ir reciever for your PS3 ($15 dollars from bestbuy), it can control that as well
Yesterday i purchased a Harmony 880 from costco for $98 dollars (4 year old one died) - wife is happy and so am i. i also have a sony receiver works fine.

Question, did you reset the Ps3';s HDMI settings (holding down power button till you hear two beeps while its on) and hten reset it up, its really a must to set things up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)