PS3 and the future of Blu-Ray now that prices have been released.

ammer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
With the price released for the 2 versions of the PS3 the jury wasn’t out long. Verdict: Death by Blu-Ray. With the mass majority of console users crying WTFBBQ! The $499 and $599 price has stunned almost everyone but the users of this board. Why? The Blu-Ray add-on is boosting the price of this thing so high that the end users are pissed about it. To sum up a lot of posts “Get rid of this blu-ray thing and lower prices”, “I’m not rebuilding my DVD collection so I can have Blu-Ray crap”. I personally care about having Blu-ray but gamers in general don’t.

So my question is this. Now that the PS3 (Blu-Ray HDMI Version) costs $599 is anyone moving over to the HD-DVD camp?

I personally won’t spend 6 bills on it (wife would kill me). IMO whoever reaches the $199 player mark first, wins.

One last note: If HD-DVD wants to rake Blu-Ray over the coals they should be on TV tonight pitching the ability to buy the HD-DVD/DVD Combo titles for the same price and keep current DVD collections at the same time. Not that you can’t play DVDs in Blu-Rays (I think….) but it has a different name and that will confuse ppl.

I'm also battling with the WAF...having convinced her we need a new game console, and she has seen the $399 sticker price on the XBOX 360...$599 for the privilege of fighthing for a PS3 over the holidays just ain't gonna fly.

Those prices are LESS than many projections.

There's always unhappy people. But there are happy ones, too. For 5 or 6 hundred dollars, you can have a top notch game machine, high definition player, CD player and DVD player. Some view that as good. Some don't.

The only votes that count are the ones made in dollars.

navychop said:

There's always unhappy people. But there are happy ones, too. For 5 or 6 hundred dollars, you can have a top notch game machine, high definition player, CD player and DVD player. Some view that as good. Some don't.

Well for 600 you can have all that, because for 500 you dont get HDMI, WiFi, and the Card reader, which IMO is a huge mistake.

navychop said:

C'mon. Most people never imagined having to fork out $600 only to get the originally announced features of PS3.

For $100-200 less you'll be able to get it well before PS3 from Microsoft. Other than rabid Sony fans who will pay more for less (ie no HDMI/HDCP with $500 PS3)?

Exactly. And X360 is already counting...

I love my XBOX 360 -- especially the Live functionality. While I'm loyal to the platform, I will admit that 360, PS3 and Wii really don't look too much different in the race for best graphics.

Oh, and the $499/$599 price tag? Add a second controller and a couple games + tax and you're looking at a hefty price tag. If I were a parent buying a console for the kids -- I know which one I would choose.

599 for a Blu ray player and PS3 game system? sounds like a steal. For 499 all you get is a lousy Toshiba HD DVD player.

I have owned almost every console that has ever come out the last 15 years. I think for the first time, I will not race out to get PS3. The price tag, as landlocked stated, after the extras and games will be pushing a g-note.

My 13 year old son and 17 year old daughter rarely fire up the PS2, it's been XBox, Gamecube and the 360 for the last couple of years. Hell, I heard them playing the Dreamcast the other day playing Virtua Tennis. They have expressed no interest in the PS3, but definitely want the Wii.

So why would Pioneer and Samsung still release their Blue ray only players? There has to be some difference between the game console and blue ray only players. Why pay $400 more for the Blue ray only players?

Do the math. $400 cost for either drive, add the console, the hard drive, the software, etal and things look to be extremely aggressive and competitive. Do you think Microwave will add a $500 HDDVD drive for one bill. The lines have been drawn. The winner in this battle will be the consumer

I currently only plan on buying a player that will play both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray... let them fight it out, I want to buy my movies in any format...

Does not anyone remember how much the PS2 blew chunks as far as being a DVD Player, it was ( is ) awful, no one knows if the PS3 will be any good as a Blu-Ray player ( same for the HD-DVD add-on on the 360).

If I decide to buy a Blu-Ray player I am going to wait for the Sony to come out in Aug., unless a Dual-Player is close to being released.

At this price point I have to conclude that Sony is basically forcing people to buy a Blu-ray player that also play games. Sony could have easily released the PS3 as a gaming machine with a standard dvd-rom drive at a price competitive with the 360. My take is that Sony is desparate to push their format and will cannibalize their gaming division to do it.

The blu-ray based PS3 has already failed. Walk into any gamming store and ask the staff.

The ps2 dvd player is horrible! The xbox dvd player is awsome! Funny the long time dvd player maker screwed up and the first time maker hit a homerun.

vurbano said:
And get advice from a couple 17 year olds? Please :rolleyes:

Yep. your a genius. WTF would a couple of 17 year olds know about video games and consoles. How could they ever grasp the concept of DVDs either. What was I thinking.

Since 17 year olds wouldn't have a clue, try me, I'm 33 and have owned 3 PS2s which i have used as a DVD player..... "They Blow Chunks".. Duuuude.

ammer said:
Yep. your a genius. WTF would a couple of 17 year olds know about video games and consoles. How could they ever grasp the concept of DVDs either. What was I thinking.

Since 17 year olds wouldn't have a clue, try me, I'm 33 and have owned 3 PS2s which i have used as a DVD player..... "They Blow Chunks".. Duuuude.

I suppose The first Blu ray player on the market is gonna blow chunks despite all of Sony's efforts and only you and the 17 yr olds know that. And how do you know that? O because you have owned a PS2. Perhaps you could point me to some of these pimple faced morons that have played the PS3 already? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)