PS3 having online multiplayer issues

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
I'm having issues playing online multiplayer on Call of Duty 3 on my PS3. I've been having issues, and I thought that it was because of the PS3 transmitting wirelessly. So I've finally (after 9 years) gotten my prewired Cat 5e network in my home setup correctly with a patch panel instead of wires dangling begging to be connected. I borrowed a tester from my IT guys at work, and verified the network cables are wired and working correctly.

Now I can finally connect to the online multiplayer sessions, but my connections suffer. I get errors such as "Unable to connect to all players" or something to that effect. When I am finally able to connect to a game session, everything runs fine until 8 or more players join the same session I'm playing. Then everything gets hosed with lagging and when killed I am unable to start playing again immediately. In fact, the PS3 has locked up on me several times.

I went to Activision's website for some answers, and I get the "put the PS3 in the DMZ" line. It said that port 3074 needs to opened for the PS3. It also mention assigning a static IP address, which I figured I should do anyway just to eliminate that being a problem. And it appears the Call of Duty network was doing its duty, keeping the problem connection (ME!) out of the game so that everyone else can have fun. I can't complain about that!

How have the rest of you PS3 owners been dealing with online multiplayer? Did you have to do the same thing to get your setup working? I didn't have a problem with my Xbox and XBL running on a slower upload/download, but my networking setup changed this past Christmas with the addition of wireless router and a laptop.

I'm mostly wanting to know if there is a way to check the connection speed or quality of the connection on my PS3. Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so how to do it? If it involves loading Linux or something like that, then that's not what I'm looking for...something a little simpler would do. Maybe checking a speed-checking site through the web browser or something???

Thanks for the help.
Anthony

I'm having issues playing online multiplayer on Call of Duty 3 on my PS3. I've been having issues, and I thought that it was because of the PS3 transmitting wirelessly. So I've finally (after 9 years) gotten my prewired Cat 5e network in my home setup correctly with a patch panel instead of wires dangling begging to be connected. I borrowed a tester from my IT guys at work, and verified the network cables are wired and working correctly.

Now I can finally connect to the online multiplayer sessions, but my connections suffer. I get errors such as "Unable to connect to all players" or something to that effect. When I am finally able to connect to a game session, everything runs fine until 8 or more players join the same session I'm playing. Then everything gets hosed with lagging and when killed I am unable to start playing again immediately. In fact, the PS3 has locked up on me several times.

I went to Activision's website for some answers, and I get the "put the PS3 in the DMZ" line. It said that port 3074 needs to opened for the PS3. It also mention assigning a static IP address, which I figured I should do anyway just to eliminate that being a problem. And it appears the Call of Duty network was doing its duty, keeping the problem connection (ME!) out of the game so that everyone else can have fun. I can't complain about that!

How have the rest of you PS3 owners been dealing with online multiplayer? Did you have to do the same thing to get your setup working? I didn't have a problem with my Xbox and XBL running on a slower upload/download, but my networking setup changed this past Christmas with the addition of wireless router and a laptop.

I'm mostly wanting to know if there is a way to check the connection speed or quality of the connection on my PS3. Does anyone know if that is possible, and if so how to do it? If it involves loading Linux or something like that, then that's not what I'm looking for...something a little simpler would do. Maybe checking a speed-checking site through the web browser or something???

Thanks for the help.
Anthony

use the speakeasy test in the browser to test your internet connection speed. type speed test in google, and choose speakeasy

I had a similar issue with my 360. I had to give it a static IP and put it in the DMZ then it started to work.

I did some research and found out that CoD3 utilizes a different networking scheme than other games. Not only does it have to connect with the Host, but with every other player as well.

I found a website that suggested turning on uPnP, which my router supports but by default was disabled. After enabling that on the router and PS3, I was able to connect to games that I could not connect to before (games that had as many as 15 players in them).

I still had lag issues, so I kept trying things one step at a time (adding a static IP address, then forwarding port 3074, and finally placing the PS3 in DMZ). After doing all of this, I cannot notice a difference in how the game acts now than when I first enabled uPnP. I still get a lot of lag when 8 or more people join in the same session I'm in, but I am able to get into the game faster after being killed.

It was too late last night for me to continue, so I need to verify I have everything setup correctly this evening. I would have thought placing the PS3 in DMZ would solve the problem since my router should not be filtering anything to the PS3 any longer.

I performed a speed test on my main computer last night, and it did not do well. I have never had a good connection with my service, and have talked on phone support many times about it. I am suppose to be getting 3Mbps download, but my service only clocked in at 1.6Mbps. My upload was below 400Kbps, and latency was over 300ms (that seems high to me, is it?). Looks like I might be duking it out with the phone company again over this.

Any suggestions?

Problem has been found!

It was the stinking router causing problems! I hooked up my old router (non-wireless) and CoD3 worked great even without port forwarding and DMZ and any other nonsense.

For anyone else that is having this issue, I had problems with the Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router model number F5D8230-4 with the latest firmware.

My old wired router is a D-Link DI-604. My download speedtests took a huge hit for some reason when swapping (went from 1.6Mbps with the Belkin to 189-371Kbps ???) , but upload and latency were virtually the same.

Guess I'll be in the market for a new router. What do you guys that have CoD3 use? I would imagine that it doesn't matter if it is a Xbox360 or PS3 game, probably still works the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)